wgstl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-welcome CJ, I hope you have great success

-does this count as a win for the recruiting efforts we've made in Texas?

Yep. He was recruited out of HS when forte was at SHst 

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting new "Two Man Game" from Rocc and Rammer.

Good stuff about Noland and Jimerson.  Starts at 1:30.  Rammer on Noland "I'm not sure where he fits".  Rocc, "Need to focus on his big body and his good defense. "

Rammer on next season's PG.  "Hughes is not your Point Guard, Medley is your PG. Maybe Hughes will be his backup or maybe they pick up a vet in the portal."

Rammer "Perimeter Player Depth Chart is full."

Both were surprised and delighted that Jimerson is returning.  Rammer "I thought he was gone."

On the depth chart and the roster, Rammer "the 4 guard lineup didn't work too well last season."

Rammer "the portal is still wide open.  As the roster sits today I don't see it.  The roster won't be the way it is now in six weeks."

I disagree with this. Pickett and Perk don't fit my definition of guards. We really only three guards on the roster. That was the biggest problem. We had a whole hell of a lot of small forwards. In fact, Jimmer really should be thought of more as a 3 in the mold of Scott Highmark, not a 2-guard.

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

I disagree with this. Pickett and Perk don't fit my definition of guards. We really only three guards on the roster. That was the biggest problem. We had a whole hell of a lot of small forwards. In fact, Jimmer really should be thought of more as a 3 in the mold of Scott Highmark, not a 2-guard.

For me, there is no difference between a Small Forward and a Shooting Guard.  For me, they(Pickett, Perkins, Jimerson, Parker, Hughes, Hargrove, etc.) were all the same.  Collins was the only exception, but he still was in my Guard category.

billiken_roy likes this

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For me, there is no difference between a Small Forward and a Shooting Guard.  For me, they(Pickett, Perkins, Jimerson, Parker, Hughes, Hargrove, etc.) were all the same.  Collins was the only exception, but he still was in my Guard category.

Personally, I prefer a second guard on the floor who can also handle the ball and distribute for others if needed. That was sorely lacking. Hell, Majerus would often play 3 of them at the same time.

Bizziken and billikenfan05 like this

26 minutes ago, ACE said:

Personally, I prefer a second guard on the floor who can also handle the ball and distribute for others if needed. That was sorely lacking. Hell, Majerus would often play 3 of them at the same time.

To paraphrase the legend jimbofive: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRR GUARDS

33 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not sure if it was a lack of a second ball handling guard, or if it was what Ford wanted, one guard to dominate the ball.  For better or worse, no disrespect intended, Ford hitched his wagon to Collins and we got what we got. 

HenryB likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

You can never have too many guys that can run the point.  

Bizziken likes this

17 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Robert Jennings played 30 games at Texas Tech last year with about 9 mpg and about 3 ppg.  Also not too impressive.

He was a 6'7" sophomore.  On that team was a 6'11" senior, a 6'11" junior, a 6'7" junior, a 6'8" sophomore, and a 6'6" senior.

That team was stacked with height.  He may have just been stuck behind some other guys.  But, your point is valid.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

He was a 6'7" sophomore.  On that team was a 6'11" senior, a 6'11" junior, a 6'7" junior, a 6'8" sophomore, and a 6'6" senior.

That team was stacked with height.  He may have just been stuck behind some other guys.  But, your point is valid.

he was a Freshman.  And its best to go off of per 40 minutes in this situation. 

52 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

damn  whatever happened to him???

Haven't heard from him for a couple years. He was in San Jose for the 2019 Tournament. He seems to be well. Thinking about the timeline of everything, the Crews era combined with him being a relatively new dad probably softened his fandom. He posts pretty regularly on his dog's instagram account, it's as funny as he is. 

Billiken Rich likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Haven't heard from him for a couple years. He was in San Jose for the 2019 Tournament. He seems to be well. Thinking about the timeline of everything, the Crews era combined with him being a relatively new dad probably softened his fandom. He posts pretty regularly on his dog's instagram account, it's as funny as he is. 

I miss @jimbofive

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

A very good team as well. We're not going to get FR/SO transfers that put up impressive numbies with good teams. I mean we could, but it's not likely. Gotta find the talent that got buried.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Hopefully, the whole offensive scheme gets an overhaul. All I want is some dogs on defense who return us to bully ball. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

You can never have too many guys that can run the point.  

Indeed. This was the backcourt just two years ago (2020-21): Yuri, JGood, Jacobs, Gibby and Russell (walk-on).

Compare it to this year's roster - you can see where the backcourt depth eroded, as a result we became a more one-dimensional offense. We need to stop calling players like Pickett who can't handle the ball or distribute guards.

brianstl likes this

23 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean this in no way as a shot at you or your post, but I'm so god damned sick of hearing about who's going to run point or backup point, just get me some guards that can take care of the ball and score. I really don't want another pure pass first PG. That's just this MBMs thought.

It's a good and accurate take. To win: defend. Rebound.

Great get Coach Ford and staff.  Seems like he is in the mode of Goodwin.  Looks like 2 years to play.

Robert Jennings looks like a good one as well.  He's only 6'7" but looks like a rugged inside player.  Played 30 games as a frosh on a Texas Tech squad that was loaded with experienced 4's and 5's.  So given that, the 8 minutes a game he played this year is impressive.  Looks like he has 3 years of eligibility ...... get'em Coach Ford!

On 4/3/2023 at 4:59 PM, billikenfan05 said:

.Our lack of an NCAA tournament appearance would indicate we should probably move away from having a workhorse point guard that plays 36 min a game 

Unclear that we didn't make the tournament because of that approach. I'd argue our front court was a far greater issue.   

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

Unclear that we didn't make the tournament because of that approach. I'd argue our front court was a far greater issue.   

i'd side with 05 on this one.   the fact we had big leads with less than 10 minutes to go so often and lost games indicated our floor general misread the situation and how to attack (or rather not attack) and ended in losses if i had to assign blame, i'd blame our guard for those losses.

billikenfan05 likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd side with 05 on this one.   the fact we had big leads with less than 10 minutes to go so often and lost games indicated our floor general misread the situation and how to attack (or rather not attack) and ended in losses if i had to assign blame, i'd blame our guard for those losses.

And to avoid piling on Yuri Collins, plenty of the blame to go around on our combo 2/3s. We saw multiple times where Perkins, Pickett and even Jimerson etc often forced things to the hoop. This was overwhelmingly clear in the Fordham loss, although we got everything we wanted going to the hoop in the first half.