Welcome, CJ Noland!

wgstl

Further clarification:

Having (one of, if not the) best passing PGs in the country was not our problem this year. 

Not having anyone capable of handling the ball alongside him was (one of, if not the) biggest problems we had this year. Rivaled by almost complete lack of competence in the front court. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd side with 05 on this one.   the fact we had big leads with less than 10 minutes to go so often and lost games indicated our floor general misread the situation and how to attack (or rather not attack) and ended in losses if i had to assign blame, i'd blame our guard for those losses.

I'd guess if you looked at the points per possession stats down the stretch in games, our defense collapsing deserves just as much if not more blame for losses than our offensive struggles.

Example - we gave up 31 points to freaking SIUE in the last 10 mins of that loss.

My take away is just that as a team we were very cohesive or tough mentally / physically as a team.  Too many dumb mistakes on defense leading to fouls or easy buckets.  Too much getting bullied around when the refs swallow whistles late in games.

Edit: tying it back to CJ Noland to keep things on topic in the thread.  A "bully ball" guard who can handle the rock & defend can potentially goes a long way toward fixing this issue for us.

billikenfan05, Zink and bauman like this

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd guess if you looked at the points per possession stats down the stretch in games, our defense collapsing deserves just as much if not more blame for losses than our offensive struggles.

Example - we gave up 31 points to freaking SIUE in the last 10 mins of that loss.

My take away is just that as a team we were very cohesive or tough mentally / physically as a team.  Too many dumb mistakes on defense leading to fouls or easy buckets.  Too much getting bullied around when the refs swallow whistles late in games.

Edit: tying it back to CJ Noland to keep things on topic in the thread.  A "bully ball" guard who can handle the rock & defend can potentially goes a long way toward fixing this issue for us.

Yeah I think when we're talking about which was the bigger issue, defense and toughness takes the cake over anything offensively. But if we're zeroing in on offensive issues only, I'm going with guard play, and you hit the nail on the head as far as expanding on the explanation of the issue.

39 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Further clarification:

Having (one of, if not the) best passing PGs in the country was not our problem this year. 

Not having anyone capable of handling the ball alongside him was (one of, if not the) biggest problems we had this year. Rivaled by almost complete lack of competence in the front court. 

Agree completely. You can't have a roster with just one ball-handler.  I go back to this: This was the backcourt just two years ago (2020-21): Yuri, JGood, Jacobs, Gibby and Russell (walk-on).

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah I think when we're talking about which was the bigger issue, defense and toughness takes the cake over anything offensively. But if we're zeroing in on offensive issues only, I'm going with guard play, and you hit the nail on the head as far as expanding on the explanation of the issue.

I think sometimes we forget just how many games some of those Majerus teams managed to win when the offense wasn't clicking. The defense usually kept us in games and gave us a chance when the shots weren't falling.

TheA_Bomb and Schasz like this

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think sometimes we forget just how many games some of those Majerus teams managed to win when the offense wasn't clicking. The defense usually kept us in games and gave us a chance when the shots weren't falling.

You don't have to look any further than SDSU to prove your point. Our offense was better than there's. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://slubillikens.com/news/2023/4/15/mens-basketball-c-j-noland-transfers-to-billikens.aspx

CJ Noland signs his paper work, but I guess that still doesn't mean he will show up in August, does it?

Well wouldn't he  burn his one time transfer option so if he tries to leave all Ford has to do is say no.  I understand he would technically have to be enrolled but not sure how that works

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://slubillikens.com/news/2023/4/15/mens-basketball-c-j-noland-transfers-to-billikens.aspx

CJ Noland signs his paper work, but I guess that still doesn't mean he will show up in August, does it?

No it doesn't but I feel better about it

35 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well wouldn't he  burn his one time transfer option so if he tries to leave all Ford has to do is say no.  I understand he would technically have to be enrolled but not sure how that works

I REALLLLLLY hope the NCAA enforces the one time transfer rule, like they say they will.  But I'd wouldn't bet a nickel on it.  Every day you see players committing to their third or fourth schools in four years.  Come waiver time, the NCAA will be handing them out like Halloween candy.