Transfers - 2023

ACE

How hard can this be.  Let's say they've got three employees working on this.  If it takes them half a day to review one of these, that means that six get reviewed in a day.  This is 30 in a week.  Can it really take longer than that.  Just pick up the file and read it.  Make a decision, have it reviewed by a supervisor, and issue a decision.

willie, dlarry and gabriel like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

How hard can this be.  Let's say they've got three employees working on this.  If it takes them half a day to review one of these, that means that six get reviewed in a day.  This is 30 in a week.  Can it really take longer than that.  Just pick up the file and read it.  Make a decision, have it reviewed by a supervisor, and issue a decision.

Half a day to review someone's mental health issues, if that is their claim?

Four hours to review someone's claim of physical assault or abuse, or sexual assault, if that is their claim?

This isn't getting your driver's license renewed at the DMV.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Four hours to review someone's claim of physical assault or abuse, or sexual assault, if that is their claim?

Have you been to the DNV lately? They always find something is missing. I actually don't think a days review is unreasonable. Take mental health issues. The school I'm sure has submitted medical documantation for their claim. It's either creditable or not. The NCAA is not going to send Columbo to check it out. At most they may ask the medical expert for clarification. 

Here is an article which shows the "caring and compassion" of the NCAA....

"you can always  count on them to do the right thing"

The NCAA is under heavy pressure right now...WV governor complaining  and Ohio Atty  Gen threatening anti trust suit plus many others from many different schools...In the article above it says 2nd transfer waiver changes may come next year....they may cave earlier than that if the legal system puts the squeeze on them.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/27/jaylon-tysons-texas-tech-case-ncaa-crackdown-on-second-time-transfers

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

You're right. It is much less serious than getting your license renewed. This isn't an investigation and the NCAA isn't a criminal investigator nor are they medical doctors. It is a simple waiver. Yes or no.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I certainly have no knowledge of the review process, but the bottom line would seem to be that it is a failure to not have these initial rulings made prior to the start of the seasons these kids are competing in.

As long as their schools have submitted the waiver requests in a timely fashion of course.

The NCAA Council voted to limit eligibility for two-time transfers to cut back on portal entrants.  But that isn't what happened.  Kids who wanted to transfer transferred anyway, and the NCAA has been forced to review a ton of waiver requests.  Frankly, I think they are understaffed to handle this additional workload.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Have you been to the DNV lately? They always find something is missing. I actually don't think a days review is unreasonable. Take mental health issues. The school I'm sure has submitted medical documantation for their claim. It's either creditable or not. The NCAA is not going to send Columbo to check it out. At most they may ask the medical expert for clarification. 

This is kind of funny.  Yes, the DMV always finds something missing.....you need seven proofs of ID.

And this is funny,  "The school I'm sure has submitted....."  Based on what?  And who are you talking about? 

I think what happened was a lot of schools thought the no 2 time transfer policy was a great way to keep their own players from leaving at the time it was implemented. Now, when it didn’t work and there were players they wanted, they hate it. I’m sure most of the big schools would like the NCAA to let them forbid their own players from leaving, but any players they may want would be immediately eligible to transfer in even if it was the 3rd time a player transferred.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The NCAA Council voted to limit eligibility for two-time transfers to cut back on portal entrants.  But that isn't what happened.  Kids who wanted to transfer transferred anyway, and the NCAA has been forced to review a ton of waiver requests.  Frankly, I think they are understaffed to handle this additional workload.

The NCAA reminds me a lot of the state agencies I work with to process tax credit transfers. Not a lot of motivation to pick that file up in a timely manner and if you tick them off your file magically moves to the bottom of the pile. Also understaffed (usually intentionally though).

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This is kind of funny.  Yes, the DMV always finds something missing.....you need seven proofs of ID.

And this is funny,  "The school I'm sure has submitted....."  Based on what?  And who are you talking about? 

I think it’s quite logical that if a school is asking for a waiver based on mental health that there us some documentation to that effect. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

I think it’s quite logical that if a school is asking for a waiver based on mental health that there us some documentation to that effect. 

100% there is documentation required. The list on the NCAA guidance details what they want. The NCAA document is 23 pages. 
But apparently UNC didn’t supply all of it initially. Is that the case you are referring to?  

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

100% there is documentation required. The list on the NCAA guidance details what they want. The NCAA document is 23 pages. 
But apparently UNC didn’t supply all of it initially. Is that the case you are referring to?  

No. Just hypothetical. My point is I agree with the statement that the process should  not take that long. Look at the application,yes or no. 

59 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

From the post: "LSU has submitted additional information to the NCAA for reconsideration of the decision."

Hadn't even considered how long it will take schools to hear back on an appeal of a decision when the initial reviews are already so backlogged.

30 minutes ago, Compton said:

From the post: "LSU has submitted additional information to the NCAA for reconsideration of the decision."

Hadn't even considered how long it will take schools to hear back on an appeal of a decision when the initial reviews are already so backlogged.

For sure. With the loophole for these two-time transfers being mental health related, I am not sure how you even set a standard for what will be accepted vs. denied. I don't pretend to know anything about Ezewiro's situation, but it seems pretty clear most of these are being denied.

57 minutes ago, Compton said:

Bummer.  This guy made his transfer announcement to LSU 5 weeks before Bradley Ezewiro announced for SLU.  Looks like it could be awhile until we hear anything on Bradley.

From the Field of 68 Daily

Pending initial waiver decisions

There still are some players simply waiting for an call from the NCAA.

Among the bigger conferences are Ole Miss (Brandon Murray and Moussa Cisse), Florida State (Primo Spears), Arizona State (Adam Miller), Wichita State (Bijan Cortes and Ronnie DeGray), NC State (Kam Woods) and Saint Louis (Bradley Ezewiro).  (NOTE:  Haynes at George Mason and Green at Rhode Island are also still waiting 2x waivers.  There appears to be a good number of players still waiting word on transfer waivers.)

All of those players are either projected starters or essential pieces. Waivers being denied are going to set those teams back, especially Ole Miss.

International eligibility decisions

Seemingly every season a few foreign players join teams, but looming eligiblity questions. This time around it’s affecting two schools who could really use their big men.

Kentucky has been holding out 7-2 center Zionimir Ivisic throughout the preseason, while the Bruins have two key players they’ve been waiting on forward Burke Buyuktuncel and Aday Mara, a 7-3 NBA Draft prospect.

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a strange one, eligible in Dec?

I know nothing about the kid, but it appears that he played the 2018-19 season at Memphis (originally signed with Texas A&M before getting a release and committing to Memphis), transferred to Creighton and redshirted the 2109-20 season, played at Creighton during the 2020-21 season, and then transferred to Louisiana playing immediately in the 2021-22 season, but only in 8 games during non-conference play. Not finding what he has been doing the past 1.5 seasons (check that, looks like he got to UCF in January), but I assume this is an odd one for many reasons as the kid is a 2018 prospect (same class as Carte'are Gordon) with multiple stops and not a grad transfer!