Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well I am glad that Ford is an ace recruiter.  

It is a lot different when you're recruiting as a new-ish hire selling promise, rebuild, playing time, etc. It is a bit different when you don't have that to sell. The popular opinion in coaching circles was that Ford would get canned after this season. I am sure that enters into the conversation a lot in the recruiting process. 

It is still pretty early too. The portal entry closes in another 10ish days. The P6 rides are filling up. There are even some transfers that have committed to schools early, been recruited over already, and might open their recruitment back up. There are plenty of under-recruited HS guys out there too.

If Harriman has some solid European/overseas connection, that could be a plus. There is somewhat of a change of thought from europe. It used to be guys would stay there, sign developmental deals with pro clubs, and be the 14th man on a roster behind a bunch of 30 year olds. Now that NIL allows them to get paid, a lot of them are more willing to come to the US to play D1 basketball and develop while playing. 

brianstl likes this

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It is a lot different when you're recruiting as a new-ish hire selling promise, rebuild, playing time, etc. It is a bit different when you don't have that to sell. The popular opinion in coaching circles was that Ford would get canned after this season. I am sure that enters into the conversation a lot in the recruiting process. 

It is still pretty early too. The portal entry closes in another 10ish days. The P6 rides are filling up. There are even some transfers that have committed to schools early, been recruited over already, and might open their recruitment back up. There are plenty of under-recruited HS guys out there too.

If Harriman has some solid European/overseas connection, that could be a plus. There is somewhat of a change of thought from europe. It used to be guys would stay there, sign developmental deals with pro clubs, and be the 14th man on a roster behind a bunch of 30 year olds. Now that NIL allows them to get paid, a lot of them are more willing to come to the US to play D1 basketball and develop while playing. 

Nobody is saying the period will be a bust just that for being an ace recruiter which people are quick to point out things are moving slow.  Granted there is still time but he just seems to be not making any real progress but who knows.  As far as him being fired after this season I and others are simply going to wait it out.  The ball is in Ford's court.

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Nobody is saying the period will be a bust just that for being an ace recruiter which people are quick to point out things are moving slow.  Granted there is still time but he just seems to be not making any real progress but who knows.  As far as him being fired after this season I and others are simply going to wait it out.  The ball is in Ford's court.

I would suggest waiting until the roster is full, and then evaluate the process and the roster.  I could care less if someone commits on April 1, May 1, June 1 or July 1.  I care about the ppg and rpg the provide come November.   There are over 1000 players that are unsigned, in the portal. And as was quoted earlier, it is open until May 11.

If we go into next season with a 10 man roster, that isn't good.  If we go into next season with a 13 man roster, then I'll wait until there is a large sample size of games to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.  I don't get 'excited' over any player until they show up on campus and lace up the sneakers. 

2010andBeyond and AGB91 like this

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I would suggest waiting until the roster is full, and then evaluate the process and the roster.  I could care less if someone commits on April 1, May 1, June 1 or July 1.  I care about the ppg and rpg the provide come November.   There are over 1000 players that are unsigned, in the portal. And as was quoted earlier, it is open until May 11.

If we go into next season with a 10 man roster, that isn't good.  If we go into next season with a 13 man roster, then I'll wait until there is a large sample size of games to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.  I don't get 'excited' over any player until they show up on campus and lace up the sneakers. 

I don't doubt that he can fill the roster out.  The real question is will they be any good?  

billiken_roy likes this

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Still time left, absolutely. Doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy though.  We're not getting a ton of kids on campus, the ones who are coming in on visits aren't the types that get you excited. 

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I don't doubt that he can fill the roster out.  The real question is will they be any good?  

lets just say from a talent prospective, we're running out of time on getting super impactful players.  Gonna have a tough time getting the players needed to even sniff T4 in the A10.

I'm admittedly not really a Ford believer but there are a ton of players still available. Sure it's not encouraging to miss out on your top targets but the days of having to recruit someone for months are over. There are guys who might even say yes without ever even meeting you or seeing campus if you have the right NIL deal. One thing I would like to see is Ford bringing in guys who come from a team who has made the NCAA Tourney or won a lot. The Cal guys are a nice connection and they could have talent but I've always been a believer in recruiting guys who know what it takes to win at this level. We could also use some vocal leaders too

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

The popular opinion in coaching circles was that Ford would get canned after this season.

This is just patently false.  A few boosters and a few MBMs do not equate to  "popular opinion," much less "popular opinion in coaching circles."  It's time to call out the latest malady in the DSM5, Ford derangement syndrome........

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Things are not going well..

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

True but it is not trending well

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Still time left, absolutely. Doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy though.  We're not getting a ton of kids on campus, the ones who are coming in on visits aren't the types that get you excited. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

lets just say from a talent prospective, we're running out of time on getting super impactful players.  Gonna have a tough time getting the players needed to even sniff T4 in the A10.

Way too early for this doom and gloom.  This place is getting nuttier and nuttier by the day........squirrel sh** has less nuts in it.....

slufanskip and DOC like this

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Way too early for this doom and gloom.  This place is getting nuttier and nuttier by the day........squirrel sh** has less nuts in it.....

At some point there has to be urgency, perhaps not yet.  Just frustrating seeing nearly every team in the conference land at least one + impactful player while we are still waiting.  Its not like we're just needing to fill one spot in which we can be selective with. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

At some point there has to be urgency, perhaps not yet.  Just frustrating seeing nearly every team in the conference land at least one + impactful player while we are still waiting.  Its not like we're just needing to fill one spot in which we can be selective with. 

There better damn well be some urgency but every time and intriguing prospect goes to another school, it does not signal the end times.

15 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

This is just patently false.  A few boosters and a few MBMs do not equate to  "popular opinion," much less "popular opinion in coaching circles."  It's time to call out the latest malady in the DSM5, Ford derangement syndrome........

I am not talking about boosters and MBMs. I am talking about people who receive W2s for coaching division 1 college basketball. It is what it is. It is part of the recruiting conversations that happen. Would you want to move across the country for a job where your boss will only be there for another year? Especially on the transfer market where guys are (hypothetically) going to be limited in transfer options if they seek a 2nd transfer. 

23 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm admittedly not really a Ford believer but there are a ton of players still available. Sure it's not encouraging to miss out on your top targets but the days of having to recruit someone for months are over. There are guys who might even say yes without ever even meeting you or seeing campus if you have the right NIL deal. One thing I would like to see is Ford bringing in guys who come from a team who has made the NCAA Tourney or won a lot. The Cal guys are a nice connection and they could have talent but I've always been a believer in recruiting guys who know what it takes to win at this level. We could also use some vocal leaders too

I agree with this. Bring in some lesser known guys from better programs…. I think it’s no coincidence our best team under Ford was led by Javon Bess, who played and practiced every day at a high level under Izzo.   

Billiken Rich likes this

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You sound like every Cardinals beat writer or Radio personality in St. Louis…. One minute, it’s only April, then it’s June, then it’s the trade deadline.  At some point you’ve gotta turn things around.  

Yes, there are still a lot of guys in the portal, but we’ve got a lot of spots to fill… and if you just take whatever’s left at the end, you often find yourself in the same spot next year when those guys transfer. 

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

and even more frustrating knowing we have zero inside players committed to the Billikens for next season right now.  

Bizziken likes this

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You sound like every Cardinals beat writer or Radio personality in St. Louis…. One minute, it’s only April, then it’s June, then it’s the trade deadline.  At some point you’ve gotta turn things around.  

Yes, there are still a lot of guys in the portal, but we’ve got a lot of spots to fill… and if you just take whatever’s left at the end, you often find yourself in the same spot next year when those guys transfer. 

If we end up with Larry Simmons playing power forward and center, you won't hear me making excuses like the Cardinal sycophants

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I am not talking about boosters and MBMs. I am talking about people who receive W2s for coaching division 1 college basketball. It is what it is. It is part of the recruiting conversations that happen. Would you want to move across the country for a job where your boss will only be there for another year? Especially on the transfer market where guys are (hypothetically) going to be limited in transfer options if they seek a 2nd transfer. 

-what coaches are your sources for this? mighty big scoop

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Still time left, absolutely. Doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy though.  We're not getting a ton of kids on campus, the ones who are coming in on visits aren't the types that get you excited

How many visitors have we had?  I don't know, but you seem to know and to be keeping track.  Pryor and Kuany are the only two I am aware of.

Names please....