GDT: Richmond; What's a dog's favorite basketball player?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We walked the ball up the whole second half.  We allowed them to take 37 three point shots.  They made 17 for 51 points.  Another 16 at the line.  That leaves 7 two point baskets ALL NIGHT.  Yes, three were absolute prayers and banked in but you could see Nelson's confidence grow as the game worn on and he was taking it to nation's best point guard.  Wouldn't it be better to let the bigs on an island to defend?  If they make a two so be it. It's better than a three.  Don't hedge down, stay on your man.  

Maybe Perkins was hot but Jimerson had two baskets the whole second half.  One at the 19:09 mark and the last at the 10:58 mark.  Where was he the whole second half?  Okoro is useless when he faces a man as tall or taller than him offensively.  He rushes it even when Neal Quinn is not a rim protector.  Note to Franco:  Quinn and the entire Spider team, didn't block a single shot.  Collins last assist came at the 4:41 mark.  Does the nation's leading assist man go dark over the last five minutes because he's playing hero ball?  I really don't know if that a good question or not. 

If I were the coach, I would have dared someone other than Burton and/or Grace to beat us.  Their names were Nelson and Roche.  Twenty-seven points from guys averaging 15.  Ballgame.  Sometimes you are the windshield; others the bug. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

This applies to three things:

1. Travis’ coaching career

2. our tournament hopes

3. My enthusiasm for this program 

It goes with being a fan of anything in STL, besides the cardinals—unless you like winning playoff games and that has been bad lately too.  It took the Blues forever to win a cup, the Big Red sucked 90% of the time, there was one special time with the Rams, Browns and Hawks left, love or hate them Mizzou hasn’t won anything, and SLU just plods along hoping to be in the discussion for the NIT.  

Just now, BANGheGOTit said:

It goes with being a fan of anything in STL, besides the cardinals—unless you like winning playoff games and that has been bad lately too.  It took the Blues forever to win a cup, the Big Red sucked 90% of the time, there was one special time with the Rams, Browns and Hawks left, love or hate them Mizzou hasn’t won anything, and SLU just plods along hoping to be in the discussion for the NIT.  

You’re selling the Battlehawks short

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

We won't be in the discussion for the NIT. Not that the NIT matters but that ship has sailed.

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We walked the ball up the whole second half.  We allowed them to take 37 three point shots.  They made 17 for 51 points.  Another 16 at the line.  That leaves 7 two point baskets ALL NIGHT.  Yes, three were absolute prayers and banked in but you could see Nelson's confidence grow as the game worn on and he was taking it to nation's best point guard.  Wouldn't it be better to let the bigs on an island to defend?  If they make a two so be it. It's better than a three.  Don't hedge down, stay on your man.  

Maybe Perkins was hot but Jimerson had two baskets the whole second half.  One at the 19:09 mark and the last at the 10:58 mark.  Where was he the whole second half?  Okoro is useless when he faces a man as tall or taller than him offensively.  He rushes it even when Neal Quinn is not a rim protector.  Note to Franco:  Quinn and the entire Spider team, didn't block a single shot.  Collins last assist came at the 4:41 mark.  Does the nation's leading assist man go dark over the last five minutes because he's playing hero ball?  I really don't know if that a good question or not. 

If I were the coach, I would have dared someone other than Burton and/or Grace to beat us.  Their names were Nelson and Roche.  Twenty-seven points from guys averaging 15.  Ballgame.  Sometimes you are the windshield; others the bug. 

To me your first sentence said it all. We let them shoot 37 three pointers. While I know we don’t have a rim protector our 3 defense sucks. While I know his offense is limited TJ is our best exterior defender. Not many second half minutes. I know some coaches get very upset when defenders go under screens . Seems like that is all we do. 

billikenblue likes this

1 minute ago, Lando Griffin said:

And no zone to at least try and mix Richmond up?

Tried it for a few possessions. It didn't work either.

Lando Griffin likes this

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If we don’t win the A10 tourney, no NCAAT, no NIT

Not a snowball's chance in hell at this point. VCU and Dayton own us and we're likely to packing up the balls by Thursday.

@willie:  I didn't count the number of times we 'went under' as you ask.  I just question the sanity of dropping down on relatively weak interior players and giving the exterior players enough room to launch.  Both Randolph and Nelson banked in prayers.  Roche made at least one heavily contested three.  Three times Burton drop stepped into threes from the top of the key.  TOP OF THE KEY is the easiest of all three pointers.  Dji Bailey made two.  Gustavson one.  

Still, we looked again to just be content running the clock in the second half and not RUNNING.  With Ford, and by extension Collins, this is the trend I believe @ theABomb is talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If we don’t win the A10 tourney, no NCAAT, no NIT

This was supposed to be Ford’s most veteran best team in his tenure.  Getting top 25 votes and this is where you end up.

I don’t know how you don’t fire him after this season.  Get a new coach in there especially with the team going to be a virtual fresh start as well.

Schasz likes this

50 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

St. Louis is one of eight cities to win a championship in all four major North American sports. We aren’t exactly Cleveland here, and even SLU has things Mizzou don’t, Naismith HOFs and a national championship.