GDT: Davidson; February 15th is my Valentine's Day

SluSignGuy

Really not trying to overdo the Pickett criticism… because he played well and was one of the main contributors in the win tonight…  But he played exactly the same way as he’s been playing… head down, (attempt to) bully his way to the rim.  It works well against a team of Matt Neufeld/Tanner Lancona/Mike Crawford clones (was gonna say Brett Jolly, but figured even Davidson didn’t deserve that).   Pickett was stronger and more athletic than everyone on Davidson. That’s when it’s acceptable for him to be more involved offensively… not when we are playing the VCUs and Daytons of the conference. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Really not trying to overdo the Pickett criticism… because he played well and was one of the main contributors in the win tonight…  But he played exactly the same way as he’s been playing… head down, (attempt to) bully his way to the rim.  It works well against a team of Matt Neufeld/Tanner Lancona/Mike Crawford clones (was gonna say Brett Jolly, but figured even Davidson didn’t deserve that).   Pickett was stronger and more athletic than everyone on Davidson. That’s when it’s acceptable for him to be more involved offensively… not when we are playing the VCUs and Daytons of the conference. 

We are a middling, mediocre team. We can beat very poor opponents and cannot defeat good opponents. Travis is better than Crews. Great. I'm not happy with being that.

Schasz likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Davidson is the most unathletic group of white guys on a D1 basketball team that I've ever seen.  They did just enough to keep it close .... Huffman with three threes, Watson with back-to-back threes, Skogman having a career night due to mismatches.  But we still prevailed because Loyer was kept to 8. Outside of the threes, Watson and Huffman were a combined 3 of 13 from the floor.  Exactly who I want shooting the ball for Davidson.  We really suffered when no one would double down on Skogman.  When we threw a secondary defender down on him, he was toast.  Loyer went 0 for 5 from three.  Nice work by Collins.  Jimerson getting beat by Huffman is a downright crime.  But we survived and pulled away.

Once again, my yelling at the Tv was at no one in particular.  It was at the refs, not for excessive calls against us, but for complete inconsistency once again.  Skogman is falling down and trying to recover his dribble and there's a foul on Parker.  Loyer launches a shot and the ball hits the rim before a whistle blows.  Foul on us.  Loyer ran over Collins; foul on Collins.  The play was no different than when Skogman ran over Pickett.  Foul on Skogman.  

I liked what Okoro did in the second half against Mennenga.  Played him close out at the three point line.  Mennega and Loyer were a combined 2 for 11.  Jake Forrester controlled the boards while in there and while he didn't score, played well enough.  Sadly, I think it might be time to close the book on Javonte.  Tell him he;s a spot up shooter or sit him.  He really can't go and he really can't defend.  Why not reverse his role with Parker?  Given Davidson's lack of athleticism, I thought tonight would be a good night to build on the Cisse time played at Dayton and let th ekdi go some here.  Nope.  

A win and a bet coverage --- double win!

Duquesne is up next and frankly they scare me.  They've won five of their last six but are only 2 and 4 on the road.  They do tend to bomb away.  Got to protect the home fires.  

Davidson is in trouble. I really dislike the A10 bringing them in. They were a one-trick-pony with McKillop the Elder.

They're going to turn into a drag on the conference. No money, no facilities, no NIL, no future.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Attendance did not look good on TV.

This is the first time in quite a while I've been happy with SLU's overall performance in a game, though. Not perfect, but progress.

I think too much is read into attendance for an 8 pm tip on a Tuesday night. 7 pm is the sweet spot for folks who have to get up for work the next day. I hate late tips.

AGB91 likes this

6 hours ago, Soderball said:

We are a middling, mediocre team. We can beat very poor opponents and cannot defeat good opponents. Travis is better than Crews. Great. I'm not happy with being that.

17-9, 9-4 is hardly middling and mediocre. I get the disappointment, but you lose all credibility when you make that statement. We've got our NIL program up and running, a solid core to build on and some very promising freshman coming in next year. I think it's irresponsible to blow this up by firing the coach. For those of you who think Ford is the floor for this program, you're sadly mistaken...

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Ease up on Mike Crawford. Kid averaged double digits his last 2 seasons and turned into a pretty good dunker.

19 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Ease up on Mike Crawford. Kid averaged double digits his last 2 seasons and turned into a pretty good dunker.

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

pickett has been playing hurt for most of conference play, i think last night showed he is getting well, i guess haters will hate. i enjoyed the win go bills

9 hours ago, Soderball said:

He's still a good spot shooter. has to stop trying to move with the ball & just catch-shoot.

The problem is that he has the mobility of a traffic cone. He can’t get open because what quickness he had is gone. It’s hard to watch. 

33 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

17-9, 9-4 is hardly middling and mediocre. I get the disappointment, but you lose all credibility when you make that statement. We've got our NIL program up and running, a solid core to build on and some very promising freshman coming in next year. I think it's irresponsible to blow this up by firing the coach. For those of you who think Ford is the floor for this program, you're sadly mistaken...

I think mediocre is fair.

They haven’t beaten a good team since the non-con and scrape by bad teams.

I love they have the NIL in place.

It looks like Hughes can be a 4 year contributor. 
I like the freshman coming in next year but I can’t let that cloud my disappointment about this disaster of a year.

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The problem is that he has the mobility of a traffic cone. He can’t get open because what quickness he had is gone. It’s hard to watch. 

I like the freshman coming in next year but I can’t let that cloud my disappointment about this disaster of a year.

you can think it, but the facts don't support it.....

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

pickett has been playing hurt for most of conference play, i think last night showed he is getting well, i guess haters will hate. i enjoyed the win go bills

I wasn’t agreeing with Pickett haters. I like Javon. He has been hurt and we will need him back to form for a late push. Just say ing don’t put Crawford in with those other stiffs.

dennis_w likes this

19 minutes ago, dlarry said:

i think fans wanted perkins to be a player of the year candidate and he has not been, fred was a top rotation player and he is out for the year, pickett has had nagging injuries all year, yet the billikens still have a shot at finishing first and likely a double bye. hardly a disaster, disappointment may come from unrealistic expectations of mbms

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Nobody is saying Travis is the floor or the program. Anyone who jumps to that conclusion lacks reading comprehension. Anyone who is Ok with what we’re seeing—is part of the problem.   We’ve seen the floor (hopefully), but there is a huge difference between what was supposed to the THE YEAR, and this year (so far).  Anything short of a A10 tournament championship and a win in the NCAA (or 2, if they have to play in the first 4) is going to be a disappointment.  This was a 5 point game with 1:30 left.  THAT is unacceptable at home against this particular Davidson team when you’re supposed to be righting the ship.  THAT will not cut it against the team that can take over the fourth spot.

33 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you can think it, but the facts don't support it.....

102 on kenpom

107 on t-rank

104 in net 

these Support those facts. In fact, just stating a record is a horrible attempt at explaining how a season went.

this season was about as mediocre as it could possible be. 

SLU_Nick, dlarry, Adman and 3 others like this

7 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Nobody is saying Travis is the floor or the program. Anyone who jumps to that conclusion lacks reading comprehension. Anyone who is Ok with what we’re seeing—is part of the problem.   We’ve seen the floor (hopefully), but there is a huge difference between what was supposed to the THE YEAR, and this year (so far).  Anything short of a A10 tournament championship and a win in the NCAA (or 2, if they have to play in the first 4) is going to be a disappointment.  This was a 5 point game with 1:30 left.  THAT is unacceptable at home against this particular Davidson team when you’re supposed to be righting the ship.  THAT will not cut it against the team that can take over the fourth spot.

what lead would be acceptable? more than ten? 15 maybe? i think the only score that counts is the final score, is there anything less than a national championship that would make you happy? you need to find a team that will meet your expectations so that you can enjoy basketball

slufanskip likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

102 on kenpom

107 on t-rank

104 in net 

these Support those facts. In fact, just stating a record is a horrible attempt at explaining how a season went.

i think it is best to rate a season when it is actually over, and then decide just how mediocre it is.

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think it is best to rate a season when it is actually over, and then decide just how mediocre it is.

Eh. Even if we win the A10T unless we make a run in the big tournament it’s still considered a mediocre year. 2019 was also a mediocre year. It’s ok to be mediocre and make the tournament, happens all the time. 

dlarry likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Eh. Even if we win the A10T unless we make a run in the big tournament it’s still considered a mediocre year. 2019 was also a mediocre year. It’s ok to be mediocre and make the tournament, happens all the time. 

if a run in the big tournament is the criteria to not be mediocre then the billikens have never had  anything other than mediocre seasons, is a run in the big tournament one win, two or do you have to play in three?

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

102 on kenpom

107 on t-rank

104 in net 

Bingo. "Some people" act like this is the NBA where there is a measure of team parity, to an extent. This isn't. There's 300+ teams in this "league" ..

To be sub 500 your team has to be absolutely miserable and horrible.

Crews bunch of rejects could even squeak out 10 wins when you had opponents like Mississippi Valley State on the schedule.

We have wins over teams like Loyola. Look at our "by-quadrant" results and it tells you enough. We are mediocre. We aren't going to the NCAA without a tournament miracle. That is bad. All these years of Collins and no tournament. Bad stuff. Even one appearance this year would be unacceptable. I've seen enough of this guy.

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Tell me you watched the Billikens play in west pine gym without telling me. 

28 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

what lead would be acceptable? more than ten? 15 maybe? i think the only score that counts is the final score, is there anything less than a national championship that would make you happy? you need to find a team that will meet your expectations so that you can enjoy basketball

Having a below .500 Davidson team look a tad bit uncomfortable when they are playing offense is a start.  

When is winning is contingent on Jimerson hitting somewhere between 5-7 threes (some of which look like he is prime Reggie Miller) AND having our opponent miss unguarded wide open looks…it doesn’t meet my expectations. I already know that strategy doesn’t work for VCU, Dayton, Fordham, Boise…or SIUE. 

So it’s tough to be content with a Billikens team that has a zero percent chance to make a sweet 16. 

what I think Travis will use as an excuse to save his job is Perkins.  It will probably work. He is nowhere near healthy and anyone not familiar with the program watching current games probably wonders why he even plays.  It is such a sad thing to watch. 

9 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Tell me you watched the Billikens play in west pine gym without telling me. 

Having a below .500 Davidson team look a tad bit uncomfortable when they are playing offense is a start.  

When is winning is contingent on Jimerson hitting somewhere between 5-7 threes (some of which look like he is prime Reggie Miller) AND having our opponent miss unguarded wide open looks…it doesn’t meet my expectations. I already know that strategy doesn’t work for VCU, Dayton, Fordham, Boise…or SIUE. 

So it’s tough to be content with a Billikens team that has a zero percent chance to make a sweet 16. 

what I think Travis will use as an excuse to save his job is Perkins.  It will probably work. He is nowhere near healthy and anyone not familiar with the program watching current games probably wonders why he even plays.  It is such a sad thing to watch. 

only 16 teams out of 353 make the sweet 16, so it likely will always be tough for you to be content, 

MariaReynolds likes this

33 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

if a run in the big tournament is the criteria to not be mediocre then the billikens have never had  anything other than mediocre seasons, is a run in the big tournament one win, two or do you have to play in three?

Don't be difficult. A "run" is different for every team.  Point is, having a mediocre regular season, but winning your 1 bid conference Tournament, doesn't automatically make our season a success.  If this was a rebuilding year, than yes I would consider this a successful season with those goals matched. 

What you're saying sounds more like moving the goal post in favor of Ford in anyway possible. 

Schasz likes this