OT: USMNT

HoosierPal

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

No just chilling in the upper corner of the stadium.  I'm happy to have seen USMNT 2x in ATX now.  It's a good place for them to play.

The match was pretty much played on one half of the field, with of course the side changing at half time. So for half the match, were you w a y aways from the action?

Jedi's back flip was pretty amazing.....maybe the play of the match.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Three goals in 7 minutes was pretty neat.  Ream played a nice game, even though he and Carter-Vickers didn't need to defend.  His long pass distributions were effective.  I thought Balogun looked lost out there.  Pepi appears to be our super sub, but I'm all for giving him a chance to start again. Tillman and Pareds were just okay getting some experience, but when Pulisic and Weah are healthy, they will be nice depth on the bench.  We need a head hunter on corners.  Didn't see anyone with a killer attitude on any of the 10 corners.

The atmosphere appeared to be great down there particularly in the second half, @TheA_Bomb.  Did you make the video feed?

I think Tillman was pretty bad all night especially in the first half. Balogun definitely hasn't asserted himself the way I had hoped. Pepi continues to make it tough to pencil Flo in every game. 

HoosierPal likes this

What the heck was Dest thinking. Just shut up and play. Totally selfish and idiotic. I trust Ream reamed him a new one at half. Liked the shove Turner gave Dest pushing him towards the locker.  This is the second time he has been red carded this year.

More drama for Gregg to handle. 

stmdragons likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

What the heck was Dest thinking. Just shut up and play. Totally selfish and idiotic. I trust Ream reamed him a new one at half. Liked the shove Turner gave Dest pushing him towards the locker.  This is the second time he has been red carded this year.

More drama for Gregg to handle. 

Yeah Dest is tricky. He is a special player in terms of ability when motivated.  He can do some things with the ball very few, if any, other players in the player pool can do.  With that said, that’s twice he’s been sent off in important games.  Tough to justify that risk in a Copa America/World Cup game. Guess the question is, is the fall off from him to Scally great enough to be worth chancing it?

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Yeah Dest is tricky. He is a special player in terms of ability when motivated.  He can do some things with the ball very few, if any, other players in the player pool can do.  With that said, that’s twice he’s been sent off in important games.  Tough to justify that risk in a Copa America/World Cup game. Guess the question is, is the fall off from him to Scally great enough to be worth chancing it?

As you know, he is out for the next Nation's League game in March.  Scally would be my pick, now, but there is time to look at options. 

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

As you know, he is out for the next Nation's League game in March.  Scally would be my pick, now, but there is time to look at options. 

I really like Scally, and we are not as reliant on Dest’s on ball creativity as we were even 2 or 3 years ago, now that some more creative attackers have started coming through.  I do fear we may see the return of Deandre Yedlin or Reggie Cannon at some point, neither of whom do anything for me. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I really like Scally, and we are not as reliant on Dest’s on ball creativity as we were even 2 or 3 years ago, now that some more creative attackers have started coming through.  I do fear we may see the return of Deandre Yedlin or Reggie Cannon at some point, neither of whom do anything for me. 

With all the injuries the USMNT is piling up, certainly need some bench strength.  I prefer players who have been in a CONCACAF street fight over those that haven't. 

Even though Dest apologized to the team, I fear that our opponents will have Dest circled as a target to intimidate, hoping for a repeat performance.  After all this is twice in 2023 for red card ejections.

For those who missed the ejection:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this isn’t really a USMNT question, but more soccer in general, and this seems to be where the soccer guys hang out, so I’ll ask the question. Issue: No MLS teams in the Open Cup, MLS NextPro teams play instead. My question: WTF?

I’ll point out the obvious, way too many matches. Use St Louis City SC as an example, if City is in the Open Cup, they could conceivably play in 63 matches next year (assuming they play the max number of games possible in MLS regular season and playoffs, CONCACAF Champions Cup, Leagues Cup, and US Open Cup). Take away US Open Cup and the number drops to 57 possible matches (still huge). Minimum matches would be 40 and 39 (that’s assuming we do not make the MLS playoffs and losing the first round each of the other competitions).  I would rather have seen larger rosters, more ability to use MLS NextPro players in all competitions, and cut the MLS playoffs down by allowing only 4 teams each conference and each round single elimination. I’m curious to see what the other soccer fans here think.

Also, I think City got a crap draw in CONCACAF, I would have rather had the fun of playing literally anyone outside of MLS and Liga MX rather than Houston and Columbus for the first two rounds.

51 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ok, this isn’t really a USMNT question, but more soccer in general, and this seems to be where the soccer guys hang out, so I’ll ask the question. Issue: No MLS teams in the Open Cup, MLS NextPro teams play instead. My question: WTF?

I’ll point out the obvious, way too many matches. Use St Louis City SC as an example, if City is in the Open Cup, they could conceivably play in 63 matches next year (assuming they play the max number of games possible in MLS regular season and playoffs, CONCACAF Champions Cup, Leagues Cup, and US Open Cup). Take away US Open Cup and the number drops to 57 possible matches (still huge). Minimum matches would be 40 and 39 (that’s assuming we do not make the MLS playoffs and losing the first round each of the other competitions).  I would rather have seen larger rosters, more ability to use MLS NextPro players in all competitions, and cut the MLS playoffs down by allowing only 4 teams each conference and each round single elimination. I’m curious to see what the other soccer fans here think.

Also, I think City got a crap draw in CONCACAF, I would have rather had the fun of playing literally anyone outside of MLS and Liga MX rather than Houston and Columbus for the first two rounds.

Here’s why

MLS commissioner Don Garber criticized the state of the U.S. Open Cup on Friday, stating that the tournament is "a very poor reflection on what it is that we're trying to do with soccer at the highest level."

Garber made his comments at the open session of the U.S. Soccer Federation board of directors meeting that is being held in Frisco, Texas, ahead of this weekend's National Soccer Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

Garber was responding to a presentation made by USSF chief commercial officer David Wright, who said that the USSF is "really bullish" about the U.S. Open Cup, which is a single-elimination tournament that is open to both professional and amateur sides from throughout the country and has a devoted following. Aside from the COVID-19-pandemic-affected years of 2020 and 2021, the tournament has been held every year since 1914.

But the tournament also suffers from a general lack of awareness, and some MLS teams don't make the tournament a priority, often fielding reserve sides in the competition's early rounds.

Wright admitted that the USSF doesn't have all the answers in terms of growing the tournament, and that not all games are able to be broadcast. But, now that the USSF's commercial rights are in-house, the Open Cup is now "front and center." To that end, the USSF will be holding a U.S. Open Cup Summit later this summer in a bid to increase the event's profile.

At that point Garber chimed in, stating that, though Wright's group was "doing as best you can with this tournament," the games are hard to find for viewers -- including himself -- and are played on subpar fields.

In recent years, some MLS teams had already opted out of fielding their strongest lineups, using the competition to give playing time to lesser-used first-team players, MLS Next Pro players and, in some cases, academy players. The deeper into the tournament teams got, the more likely they were to prioritize the competition.

First-team MLS players will not be allowed to join up with MLS Next Pro teams in the latter stages of next year's competition, however, an MLS spokesperson told ESPN.