Jump to content

OT: USMNT


HoosierPal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

The Colombians here that go to the Amsterdam are the friendliest bunch. 

Colombians are extremely friendly.  But you may be aware that there is some violence/crime here. Maybe you've seen Narcos or something. 

I've been to Colombian professional Soccer (4x) the derby between Millionarios (my team) and Santa Fe can be dangerous.  Their home pitch is in the same stadium El Campin in Bogota.  Whoever is the away team has the corner section dedicated and there is a DMZ dead space between the fans with rows of police.  At the end of the games they let the visiting fans leave the stadium first then the home fans can leave 30 minutes after.  At a normal game no metal objects are allowed inside,  they will take your belt. No alcohol is sold inside.  Everyone gets a police pat down or 2 on the way in.  Actually the highlight of the game can be the pat down from the Colombian Policia.  They have their own IG page for those into that look up "policias_exoticas" you're welcome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Colombians are extremely friendly.  But you may be aware that there is some violence/crime here. Maybe you've seen Narcos or something. 

I've been to Colombian professional Soccer (4x) the derby between Millionarios (my team) and Santa Fe can be dangerous.  Their home pitch is in the same stadium El Campin in Bogota.  Whoever is the away team has the corner section dedicated and there is a DMZ dead space between the fans with rows of police.  At the end of the games they let the visiting fans leave the stadium first then the home fans can leave 30 minutes after.  At a normal game no metal objects are allowed inside,  they will take your belt. No alcohol is sold inside.  Everyone gets a police pat down or 2 on the way in.  Actually the highlight of the game can be the pat down from the Colombian Policia.  They have their own IG page for those into that look up "policias_exoticas" you're welcome. 

never mind, I thought you lived in Austin for some reason.  I was like, you seem a little too overconcerned ha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

never mind, I thought you lived in Austin for some reason.  I was like, you seem a little too overconcerned ha. 

Normally I do but currently I'm in Bogota.   Recommend everyone visit Colombia.  I really like Bogota and Cartagena and I hear Medellin and Baranquilla are great too. Just be careful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Normally I do but currently I'm in Bogota.   Recommend everyone visit Colombia.  I really like Bogota and Cartagena and I hear Medellin and Baranquilla are great too. Just be careful.

Good friend lived in Medellin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Ya unfortunately no chance, too small. 

Westy03 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Are you talking for the WC? Sites have already been selected

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

KC hosted Gold Cup game and Austin hosted WCQ vs Jamaica.  They will select Soccer towns and Soccer specific venues for the tournament/qualifiers.  So maybe there's a chance for STL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Hope we have a coach by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Not for copa America, but potentially for Gold Cup/World cup qualifying. Columbus and Kansas City (at the sporting Kc park) get games in those competitions pretty regularly, as they’re seen as “fortresses” that won’t be overrun with opposition fans. If we can establish STL as something like that, I imagine we will see competitive international matches of some sort in the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Now for the dumb question: any chance we could get a game in STL? I assume our new stadium would be too small to host (22.5k with ability to expand to 25k) based on average attendance (46k) last time it was held in US (2016). 
 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64432221.amp

Unlike the WC, the host country doesn't automatically qualify for Copa America.  So the USMNT will have to take care of business in the 23-24 Concacaf Nations League which starts this fall.  Certainly STL could host a match or two in that tourney.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of a meh match against Columbia.  Very little flow on either side, but the US did get four more players their first cap.  For me Acosta was perhaps the US player who played the best.  He was all over the pitch, opened up the match with some nice passes, and his set-piece delivery was pretty good, better than what we saw in the World Cup.

Zimmerman was solid as usual, and left back Tolkin was impressive in his debut.  Brendon Aaronson's kid brother Paxten showed the same energy as his brother demonstrates, and kept his nose in the game despite getting physically punished most of the match.  He had two weak chances to score, but didn't deliver on either.  He has potential, but he isn't quite there yet.

All in all not much to get either too excited or too depressed about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah not much you can conclude from these games.  No coach and little time to train.  It was fun seeing my favorite Colombian league Millionarios player Llinas, who had a good game, vs the US.  The goalie is also a Millos player.

Seeing Paxten is good as I'm an Eintracht fan and they just acquired him. 

B Vazquez could be our answer at 9.  Zendajes may choose US over Mexico that would be good.   Did Copa lend us him just to raise possible transfer fees?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the limited training and the uncertainty at coach, not much to be learned from a team perspective.  For individuals who got on the field and were able to make some plays, a great opportunity that some took advantage of.  We do need a better answer at 9, B Vasquez played himself into that discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah not much you can conclude from these games.  No coach and little time to train.  It was fun seeing my favorite Colombian league Millionarios player Llinas, who had a good game, vs the US.  The goalie is also a Millos player.

Seeing Paxten is good as I'm an Eintracht fan and they just acquired him. 

B Vazquez could be our answer at 9.  Zendajes may choose US over Mexico that would be good.   Did Copa lend us him just to raise possible transfer fees?

I thought Montero was a little shaky.  Ferreria in particular put pressure on him each time he received a back pass, and several of his distributions weren't all that good.

You likely read the same thing i did that the Zendajes availability was negotiated with America for the first match only.  He quickly went back for this weekend. 

Both Vazquez and Zendajes (and Cowell) are duals, eligible for Mexico or US.  I doubt if any will commit before seeing how the Sporting Director/GM/Coach searches ends.  (I wouldn't blame them for waiting.) So they could miss the upcoming Concacaf League of Nations matches this spring.  Cowell didn't get into the Columbia match after playing 90 against Serbia, but he was really fun to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

City will be fine. A few of the issues are so incredibly minor its really annoying- one of the charges is about the grass being too tall.  City is consistently being dragged into this stuff annually between FA, UEFA, and now PL. Pay the small fine and move on is my guess. ( I know your post was meant as a joke  ha)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Jesse Marsch is looking for work.

I'm gonna guess this ends up being the coach - for now.  It'll probably be a short term deal before the WC, so we have an out if it doesn't work before then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

 

Just named the roster for the games coming up. One being the friendly versus Uzbekistan in St Louis. Excited that they are bringing a lot of the guys, should be fun. 

Nice to see Ream coming home.  Having watched Cremaschi and Callender plenty this past month, they both deserve a shot to be in camp.  Both have had their profiles enhanced by playing with Messi. 

Cremaschi is only 18.  He has a  bright future.  Steffan is coming off a knee injury, hence the opening for Callender.  Reyna is also just coming off an injury and just started training last week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...