The YAWN...Yuri Assist Watch Now

The Wiz

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuri has 15 assists and 1 TO in the St. J game. As I have to work on the numbers for the UMass game, possibly someone with good math skills can work on what the assist / turnover ratio was for Yuri in the  St. J  game.

Yuri's 15 has pushed him up to 703.  He has moved up 18 spots to #85.  He is only the 5th A-10 player to reach the 700 club.

Tied...

Kyle Collinsworth....2011-16...Brigham Young

Passed...

Jalen Pickett (again)...still playing...Penn St...6 ahead

Cameron Parker....still playing....Portland St....7 ahead

Jerian Grant...2012-15...Notre Dame

Andrew Nembhard...2019-22...Gonz

Tory Jackson...2007-10...Notre Dame

Aaron Craft...2011-14...Oh St.

Kevin Braswell...1999-2002...Georgetown

Raymond Felton...2003-05...NC

thunderdan, BJK and slufanskip like this

On 12/29/2022 at 8:05 PM, The Wiz said:

There really is nothing to discuss...this isn't an opinion...here are the numbers...

When the Bills win...Yuri has 12.6 assists/ gm...when they lose...6.6assists/gm.

Here is the way the computer sees it going forward...

Yuri assists.....Chance to win

4 ..........................20%

5............................30%

6.............................40%

7..............................50%

8.............................60%

9.............................70%

10............................80%

Yuri now has logged 10 assists twice, against SIUE and UMass.  We all know the results.  I'm tending not to believe that we have an 80% chance to win when Collins has 10 assists.  Maybe it's just me but I'd like to be proven wrong in any upcoming game.

slufan13 likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yuri now has logged 10 assists twice, against SIUE and UMass.  We all know the results.  I'm tending not to believe that we have an 80% chance to win when Collins has 10 assists.  Maybe it's just me but I'd like to be proven wrong in any upcoming game.

Yuri getting assists is good.  Our defense kind of sucks which is the primary reason we lost both games.

Both losses happened to be on Wednesdays.  It does not mean we have a worse chance of winning games on Wednesdays.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yuri getting assists is good.  Our defense kind of sucks which is the primary reason we lost both games.

Both losses happened to be on Wednesdays.  It does not mean we have a worse chance of winning games on Wednesdays.

RU, don't burst the Yuri haters' bubbles! 

I'd say there's a lot more to say about Okoro's 5 turnovers in last night's loss than in Yuri's 10 assists. Maybe The Wiz's computer should've clarified that factor is when the other 20% comes into play. 

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This year. 

Yuri 10 or more assists  6-2

Yuri 9 or less assists 3-4

9 or more assists 8-3 

8 or less  1-3

Probably doesn’t mean anything though. Just fun with stats

rgbilliken likes this

Yuri had a great offensive game last night. Defensively is another story. People complaining about Yuri on the offensive end last night have turned him into a scapegoat for everything that is wrong with this team. 

He wasn’t the problem last night. 
Okoro and Jimerson were the main problem. 

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I think it is you  and I would be happy to prove you wrong.  You seem to be a good numbers guy so you know that it is never a good idea to use a sample size of 2.  So I ran the numbers for this season and last year.  There have been 17 games  where Yuri has had 10 assists or more...We are 14-3 in those games...82.4%.  I give a thumbs up to the computer.

By the way, I enjoy reading some of your stat posts. Good stuff.

27 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think it is you  and I would be happy to prove you wrong.  You seem to be a good numbers guy so you know that it is never a good idea to use a sample size of 2.  So I ran the numbers for this season and last year.  There have been 17 games  where Yuri has had 10 assists or more...We are 14-3 in those games...82.4%.  I give a thumbs up to the computer.

By the way, I enjoy reading some of your stat posts. Good stuff.

The numbers don’t lie…

So can the magic computer come up with some stats on how bad our defense is this year?  How many times our opponents scored more than their season average when they played SLU?  How does their slash line compare between their season averages and what they get when they play SLU?

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The numbers don’t lie…

So can the magic computer come up with some stats on how bad our defense is this year?  How many times our opponents scored more than their season average when they played SLU?  How does their slash line compare between their season averages and what they get when they play SLU?

You can get some of that info from the spread threads....pre and post game.  I could post all the info  but I don't want to make a 5 page report nor make this a full time job.  The spread threads give you just enough to get a feel for the game.

Yuri's 10 assists moves him up to 77th on the all time chart...a gain of 9 spots...3rd all time on the A-10 list.  His total is now 713.

Tied with...

Jameer Nelson...2001-04...St. Joe

LaBradford  Smith...1988-91...Louisville

Passed...

Cameron Parker (again)...still playing...Portland St...9 ahead

Jalen Pickett (and again)...still playing...Penn St....6 ahead

Tyson Wheeler...1995-98...RI

Jordan Bohannon...2017-22...Iowa

Jason Hart...1997-2000...Syr

Derrick Daniels...1989-92...Hou

Josh Perkins...2015-19...Gonz

Yuri's 14 assists in the St. B game moves him up to 66th on the all time chart....a gain of 11 spots. His total is now 727.  For those keeping track...when Yuri makes 10+ assists , our record is 15-3 over the last 2 seasons...83.3% win rate.

Tied...

Jesse Sanders...2009-12...Liberty

Passed...

Andre Miller...1996-99...Utah

Taliek Brown...2001-04...UConn

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the 2 active players chasing Yuri in the assist race have the same names as current teammates.... Pickett and Parker. They both have fallen by the wayside for now as Yuri  leads them by 20 and 21.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:08 AM, The Wiz said:

Yuri's 14 assists in the St. B game moves him up to 66th on the all time chart....a gain of 11 spots. His total is now 727.  For those keeping track...when Yuri makes 10+ assists , our record is 15-3 over the last 2 seasons...83.3% win rate.

Tied...

Jesse Sanders...2009-12...Liberty

Passed...

Andre Miller...1996-99...Utah

Taliek Brown...2001-04...UConn

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the 2 active players chasing Yuri in the assist race have the same names as current teammates.... Pickett and Parker. They both have fallen by the wayside for now as Yuri  leads them by 20 and 21.

At his current rate of 10.8 APG and at least 16 games remaining on the schedule, Yuri is on pace to finish this year (assuming no decline of that average and no more than 16 games played) with 899.8 assists, moving him to 16th on the all-time list and just 3 assists behind the two players tied for 15th with 902. 

Regardless of how this season shapes out you owe it to yourself as a "Billiken fan" to enjoy the hell out of this show that we're watching because we most certainly will never see it on our court in our uniform again. Yuri is an all-time great point guard. 

billikenblue likes this

In the last 30 years only 2 players have finished a season with 10+ assists. No one has had 10+ assists and an assist/to rate of over 3.0

Nelson Haggarty 94-95 season 10.14/3.6 = 2.81 rate

Ja Morant 18-19 season 10.03/5.2 = 1.92 rate

Yuri Collins so far this year 10.81/3.4 = 3.17 rate

Not bad for a turnover machine. If his numbers continue and I’ll admit it’s tougher in conference but if they do his assists per game and assist/to rate will be the best in over 30 years. 

Another fun discovery to add to Yuri's resume this year:

His 3.1 A/TO ratio is good for 15th in the nation. Of everyone ranked ahead of him in that metric he is averaging no less than 2.8 more assists/game, and as many as 7.8 more assist/game. 

On the assist/game list, 2nd place Markquis Nowell of Kansas State is tied with Yuri's 3.1 A/TO ratio but is a full 2 assists/game behind him on the leaderboard. Third place Tyler Kolek from Marquette is beating Yuri with a 3.6 A/TO ratio but is a full 2.8 assists/game behind him. Fourth place Jalen Pickett is ahead of all the pack here with a 3.77 A/TO ratio but, as you'll see with the pattern here, is a whopping 3.5 assists/game behind Yuri. 

Of the rest of the Top 10 assists/game leaders only one is in the top 10 for A/TO ratio, one other is in the top 25, two others are in the top 50, and two do not appear in the top 50 at all. 

Yuri Collins is really f*cking good. 

Yuri racks up another 12 which gives him a total of 739...60th on the all time list...up 6 places. ..and only 3 TOs  ...4 to 1 ratio...This was the 19th time in the last 2 seasons he has had more than than 10 assists in a game...And the Bills have won 84% of the time when he has done that.

Tied

Jordan McLaughlin...2015-18...USC

Passed

Avery  Johnson...1987-88...Southern...holds the single season asst/gm record...13.3/gm

Demetri McComey...2008-11....Illinois

Lee Mayberry...1989-92...Ark

On 1/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, Bills By 40 said:

At his current rate of 10.8 APG and at least 16 games remaining on the schedule, Yuri is on pace to finish this year (assuming no decline of that average and no more than 16 games played) with 899.8 assists, moving him to 16th on the all-time list and just 3 assists behind the two players tied for 15th with 902. 

Regardless of how this season shapes out you owe it to yourself as a "Billiken fan" to enjoy the hell out of this show that we're watching because we most certainly will never see it on our court in our uniform again. Yuri is an all-time great point guard. 

Yuri's average rose slightly to 10.9/game after last night. That adjustment made to the calculations above (15 remaining games) would put Yuri at 903 assists on the year, in sole position of 14th all time and 31 assists behind Gary Payton at 12th / 47 assists behind Greg Anthony in the 10th spot. 

I repeat:

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Additionally, milestones for next game:

With just 2 assists (741) Yuri climbs to 59th over Jamar Smiley (Illinois State, 95-98)

With just 6 assists (745) Yuri climbs to 57th over Mark Woods (Wright State, 89-93) and Sean Miller (Pitt, 88-92)

With just 8 assists (747) Yuri climbs to 56th over Javon Levi (UT Arlington, 18-22) 

With just 13 assists (752) Yuri climbs to 54th over T.J. McConnell (Arizona, 11-15) | 13 or more assists 7x this season

With just 14 assists (753) Yuri climbs to 53rd over David Edwards (Texas A&M, 90-94) | 14 or more assists 6x this season

With just 17 assists (756) Yuri would be tied for 50th with three other players | 17 or more assists 2x this season

*I began italicizing "just" when we got to the point where it seems easy for Yuri but is in reality a very tall order*

Collins adds 6 more assists bringing his total to 745...57th all time...up 3 spots.

Passed...

Jamer Smiley... 1995-98...Ill St

Sean Miller...1988-92...Pitt

Btw...For those that missed it, Avery Johnson was one of the announcers in last night's game. Yuri just passed him  on the all time list on my previous report.  He is the all time single season assist leader.

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Btw...For those that missed it, Avery Johnson was one of the announcers in last night's game. Yuri just passed him  on the all time list on my previous report.  He is the all time single season assist leader.

And Avery stated that he was never as good as Yuri, hmm

26 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

And Avery stated that he was never as good as Yuri, hmm

Only player to ever get more than 350 assists in a year is insane.

And if Yuri keeps above 10 APG, he'll be only the 4th player to ever make the mark since they've been recording it. Also insane.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour