The YAWN...Yuri Assist Watch Now

The Wiz

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yuri's stats are cool but they're empty and not leading to wins. Wins matter. I do get the mentality of rooting for a stat since the team is done. That's not for me but there isn't much to root for so I get it

I agree. 
Of course I’d rather see a win but since I’m going to be watching the games anyway might as well have something to get excited about. 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

My initial statement is that assists don't correlate to Wins, so why be so happy about an individual accomplishment, when the team isn't benefiting.  I want a scheme that results in wins.

You used the word 'might', so I guess that is 50/50 right?  Hard to argue your point.

You really think assists don’t correlate to wins? And you didn’t realize the word might was used as sarcasm?

What do you think about Bonner’s rebounds? How many tournament games did he win? 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Yuri's stats are cool but they're empty and not leading to wins. Wins matter. I do get the mentality of rooting for a stat since the team is done. That's not for me but there isn't much to root for so I get it

Is anyone rooting for Yuri to get assists but the Bills not get the win. 

Anyone who doesn’t think assists don’t correlate to wins should be embarrassed to post on the board. 

Rebounds apparently don’t correlate either, our leading rebounder has 0 tournament games let alone wins.

Blocks are apparently irrelevant also. 

You know what would correlate to wins? Our shooters hitting some fu.king shots. That would help. It would also help Yuri pile up some of those meaningless assists. 

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Is anyone rooting for Yuri to get assists but the Bills not get the win. 

Anyone who doesn’t think assists don’t correlate to wins should be embarrassed to post on the board. 

Rebounds apparently don’t correlate either, our leading rebounder has 0 tournament games let alone wins.

Blocks are apparently irrelevant also. 

You know what would correlate to wins? Our shooters hitting some fu.king shots. That would help. It would also help Yuri pile up some of those meaningless assists. 

Assists help you win of course but running our entire offense through Yuri is not helping us win even though its leading to gaudy stats.

You are exactly right about our shooter for sure

41 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Assists help you win of course but running our entire offense through Yuri is not helping us win even though its leading to gaudy stats.

You are exactly right about our shooter for sure

Neat stat. Yuri - 8 wins 12.6 assists per game. 5 losses 6.5 assists per game. 

I don’t know why this is so hard for the board to figure out but it seems to be a challenging concept. Hit some darn shots. 

Shooting percentages in our losses 

Maryland  36 / 25. We shot 50/22 in the 2nd half and lost the half by 4. Make another 3 or even 2 in the 2nd half. You can do the math. 

Auburn  38 / 28 plus 29 % from f/t. Doesn’t take super good math skills to figure this one out. 

Iona  31 / 26 Hard to win shooting like that

Boise 31 / 22 What did we lose by? How many more shots needed to go through the nets? 

SIUE Yep that defensive powerhouse. 40 / 28 

We get shots and we get open shots. We just shoot so inconsistently. When we shoot poorly, we score less. When we score less, our chance to win goes down. That’s the way it works. 

In our 5 losses Jim and Perkins are 16/63 from 3. 

Billiken Rich likes this

Nothing to disagree here with you skip but what happened?  I thought we had the best shooting team ever coming in with Perkins, Jimerson, and Parker.  Didn't Ford say he wanted 27 threes a game?  But now we can't hit shots.  Any shots.  I'm lost.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Does it not make sense to you that the leader in assists might lead in turnovers? 

Not really, there is far larger correlation to high turnover totals and being a high volume scorer across all levels.  The names on the SLU all time list, with the exception of LaTodd Johnson, weren’t the teams leading assist guy over their four year career.  Except for Jonson and Collins they all scored 1,300 or more points in their career. All most all of the NBA’s All-Time top 50 leading scorers, since they started keeping turnovers as a stat, rank in the top 50 in turnovers all-time.

This conversation reminds me of the baseball game where the pitcher strikes out 10 batters and the team lose the game 1-0.  A fan claims strikeouts have nothing to do with wins.   When you try to explain that the pitcher also has an ERA of 1.00.  The fan comes back and says ERA has nothing to do with wins.   In fact the problem with this game example is the losing team did not score.  The pitcher kept them close enough to win but you can't win if you can't score.

So it goes with the Bills. Fans say I don't want assists...I want wins.  If you can't score, your assist total goes down.

There really is nothing to discuss...this isn't an opinion...here are the numbers...

When the Bills win...Yuri has 12.6 assists/ gm...when they lose...6.6assists/gm.

Here is the way the computer sees it going forward...

Yuri assists.....Chance to win

4 ..........................20%

5............................30%

6.............................40%

7..............................50%

8.............................60%

9.............................70%

10............................80%

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Not really, there is far larger correlation to high turnover totals and being a high volume scorer across all levels.  The names on the SLU all time list, with the exception of LaTodd Johnson, weren’t the teams leading assist guy over their four year career.  Except for Jonson and Collins they all scored 1,300 or more points in their career. All most all of the NBA’s All-Time top 50 leading scorers, since they started keeping turnovers as a stat, rank in the top 50 in turnovers all-time.

The biggest correlation is who has the ball in their hands the most.

Doesn’t matter if you are a scorer or an assist guy if you have the ball a lot you will have more turnovers.

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Yuri's turnovers increase rapidly in the games that Yuri takes it upon himself to score a lot, in those games his number of assists goes down. If you look at the stats for those games we lost the pattern should be reasonably clear, assists are down, turnovers are up. His total points made in those games is also up. But with a close look, a lot of the extra points he makes in those games come from FTs, his actual % of FG/FGA tends to go down. Yuri is not a high FG scorer, this is particularly true for hard fought games, when he rushes in to the basket and misses the shot.

Ford allows this to happen.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

12 hours ago, dlarry said:

The biggest correlation is who has the ball in their hands the most.

Doesn’t matter if you are a scorer or an assist guy if you have the ball a lot you will have more turnovers.

I think Brian is smart enough to know this but stubborn enough to spin it another way for the sake of a ridiculous, blasphemous argument. 

Fraz likes this

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This conversation reminds me of the baseball game where the pitcher strikes out 10 batters and the team lose the game 1-0.  A fan claims strikeouts have nothing to do with wins.   When you try to explain that the pitcher also has an ERA of 1.00.  The fan comes back and says ERA has nothing to do with wins.   In fact the problem with this game example is the losing team did not score.  The pitcher kept them close enough to win but you can't win if you can't score.

So it goes with the Bills. Fans say I don't want assists...I want wins.  If you can't score, your assist total goes down.

There really is nothing to discuss...this isn't an opinion...here are the numbers...

When the Bills win...Yuri has 12.6 assists/ gm...when they lose...6.6assists/gm.

Here is the way the computer sees it going forward...

Yuri assists.....Chance to win

4 ..........................20%

5............................30%

6.............................40%

7..............................50%

8.............................60%

9.............................70%

10............................80%

Yuri Collins has 10 assists in one game, SIUe.  I'm pretty sure, like 100% sure, we lost that game. 

Many are missing the point.  I am not anti-Collins.  I am anti a Collins-centric team.  If an opponent shuts down Yuri, we are in trouble.  We need more players involved in the offense, we need more passes, we need more movement, we need more than one player accumulating assists.  We are one dimensional.  We saw in the SIUe game that isn't a system that will get us to the dance.  We should cruise through St. Joe.  Yuri should/could get 20 assists.  I am hoping, probably with my hopes to be crushed, that Ford has figure out how to make this TEAM perform at a higher level with a more diverse offense.

I want wins.  I want an NCAA Tourney run.  Any individual accolades are just frosting on the cake.  I hope Yuri gets the all time, unbreakable, NCAA record for assists and lives a long, productive life. 

I'm getting off my soap box.

slufan13 and billiken_roy like this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yuri Collins has 10 assists in one game, SIUe.  I'm pretty sure, like 100% sure, we lost that game. 

Many are missing the point.  I am not anti-Collins.  I am anti a Collins-centric team.  If an opponent shuts down Yuri, we are in trouble.  We need more players involved in the offense, we need more passes, we need more movement, we need more than one player accumulating assists.  We are one dimensional.  We saw in the SIUe game that isn't a system that will get us to the dance.  We should cruise through St. Joe.  Yuri should/could get 20 assists.  I am hoping, probably with my hopes to be crushed, that Ford has figure out how to make this TEAM perform at a higher level with a more diverse offense.

I want wins.  I want an NCAA Tourney run.  Any individual accolades are just frosting on the cake.  I hope Yuri gets the all time, unbreakable, NCAA record for assists and lives a long, productive life. 

This is possibly the greatest post in the history of this board. Incredible 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t think you’re anti Yuri and I’m sure you can pick out moments where he didn’t make the proper play. However, it doesn’t matter who we get involved if they can’t hit a shot. Every game we lost, we shot terribly but it seems the loss is rarely pinned on our shooting. Why? Because it doesn’t fit the board narrative. Is Yuri or Ford responsible for Jim going 1-14 from 3 the last 2 games? I don’t want to pin a loss on any 1 player as in a loss to SIUE there is clearly more than 1 player playing poorly but if we just shoot the ball to our average, we win. 

The Wiz and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Greatest post in the history of the board??

You obviously haven’t seen any posts with Adam Knollmeyer dunking over a trash can.

So here ya go!

That video will always make me laugh which I hate because I have met Adam a handful of times and he could not be much nicer. But, the video is awesome. I think a steady rotation of that video, the Jolly miss from 3, and the Justin Love/shark mascot video is all this board needs to bring us back together.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

My problem with Ford is not how he manages a game or his game plan. You’re talking about a more diverse offense but we can’t do that when we don’t have players with the skill sets to accomplish that. We have basically no inside game offensively, only 1 player adept at running an offense and guards that are supposed to be good from 3 but we shoot 32% from 3. If we don’t shoot better and Okoro doesn’t find his offensive game, we are what you’ve seen. We have a team full of players who can’t score without Yuri or a good PG plus a player coming off injury who is still finding his footing. We have to have Okoro scoring inside, Jim shooting more consistently, and Perkins 

51 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That video will always make me laugh which I hate because I have met Adam a handful of times and he could not be much nicer. But, the video is awesome. I think a steady rotation of that video, the Jolly miss from 3, and the Justin Love/shark mascot video is all this board needs to bring us back together.

-I would add the video of Majerus and the visit to Olean

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Don't forget the Chaifetz throat slitting gif.......

Some excellent comments buried in both the Hoosier and skip posts.  I asked about Perkins, Jimerson and Parker a few posts up and all three have not performed.  Perkins post-injury.  Jimerson in a slump.   And Parker MIA.  So who shoots and scores?  Thatch is not a volume shooter.  Okoro and Forrester both have five foot range.  And Hargrove is wildly inconsistent.  

Looking to see who shows up tomorrow.