OT: Louisville

crymdg2

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I wouldn’t laugh too much at this. I doubt they will have an easy go with this hire. He probably is on their list somewhere.

They will have an easy time. This is one of the best jobs in the country and the will pay big bucks. 

22 minutes ago, willie said:

They will have an easy time. This is one of the best jobs in the country and the will pay big bucks. 

They are going to have to have a president and an AD in place before any top tier candidate will take the job.  No coach wants to take over a program and then become the guy his new bosses wouldn't have hired.

JMM28 and billiken_roy like this

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the Googled list, Mack is at $3.8 M and Cronin at $3.6M.  Who knows what that all includes or how accurate it is.  We know that taxes in CA far exceed taxes in KY.  Cronin is from Cincy.  The Pac 12 typically is behind most of the other P6 conferences.  It won't hurt L'ville to ask Cronin if he is interested.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches/

cronin left cincy, so I doubt its much of a factor 

34 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I wouldn’t laugh too much at this. I doubt they will have an easy go with this hire. He probably is on their list somewhere.

Did they see Fords away record and get excited? I kid, Kid. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Did they see Fords away record and get excited? I kid, Kid. 

Hires an any sport have a lot of surprises. I was surprised that UNC and Duke hired assistants to replace their coaches. Indiana just hired a pro assistant. Then there are the obvious ones, where a schools steals a top coach, like Kansas did from Illinois. Mack to Louisville was an obvious one.  I don’t know the ratio, but it is probably less than 50/50 obvious choices.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the Googled list, Mack is at $3.8 M and Cronin at $3.6M.  Who knows what that all includes or how accurate it is.  We know that taxes in CA far exceed taxes in KY.  Cronin is from Cincy.  The Pac 12 typically is behind most of the other P6 conferences.  It won't hurt L'ville to ask Cronin if he is interested.

I don’t know if I completely buy that, but I do expect several coaches to use an opening like Louisville as leverage in order to get a pay raise. Mick Cronin will be making more than $3.6M next year if his name is linked with the job, you can believe that.

Pat Forde is out there pushing for Louisville to hire Scott Davenport.

Davenport was a top Louisville asst back in the CUSA days with us.  He has coached Bellarmine, just moved up to D-1 a few years ago to some decent success.  

This would be akin to Mizzou hiring Kim Anderson.  Would end with the same result.

How does Forde keep his job

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Pitino will take Iona to the final 4 and make his case that he is the GOAT.

Chris Mack is out.  Being finalized today.

Louisville wants Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, Mick Cronin, Eric Musselman

Would it make sense for any of those coaches to leave?

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

If Mick Cronin leaves UCLA for Louisville… I will have seen it all. 

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Hires an any sport have a lot of surprises. I was surprised that UNC and Duke hired assistants to replace their coaches. Indiana just hired a pro assistant. Then there are the obvious ones, where a schools steals a top coach, like Kansas did from Illinois. Mack to Louisville was an obvious one.  I don’t know the ratio, but it is probably less than 50/50 obvious choices.

Indiana hired a pro assistant that was one of IU’s greats, tho.

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

massimino was the legendary villanova coach who was there a trillion years and won a national championship in the 80's there.   pure coach.   not just a salesman. 

that 1985 national championship game was one of my favorites ever.   bigtime underdog to georgetown and they came out and couldnt miss.   i bet the shooting percentage they had that game is a record.  (too lazy to look it up)

Nova was 22-28 from the floor, 13-18 in the first half, 9-10 in the second. They were also 22-27 from the stripe. That was an awesome game and every bit as shocking an upset as NC State defeating Phi Slama Jama two years before.

billiken_roy likes this

52 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Cronin got the UCLA job after Phil Fulmer increased Rick Barnes to $5 million. 

UCLA first targeted Calipari and Dixon,  as well.

But things have worked out very well so far for UCLA and Cronin. Final Four, then a top 10 team the following year, top level recruiting class for next year. Had his 6 year $24 Million contract extended two more years, not including lots of incentives and bonuses. He has a good AD. He and his family enjoy it there. 

55 minutes ago, courtside said:

UCLA first targeted Calipari and Dixon,  as well.

But things have worked out very well so far for UCLA and Cronin. Final Four, then a top 10 team the following year, top level recruiting class for next year. Had his 6 year $24 Million contract extended two more years, not including lots of incentives and bonuses. He has a good AD. He and his family enjoy it there. 

Westwood is certainly an upgrade from the city of Seven Hills; I haven’t thought about Jamie Dixon in almost five years. Those Pitt teams were solid.