O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

4 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Those 3 are much bigger brands than our Billikens and have football. SLU is a basketball-only school that has struggled to win consistently in a conference that is much worse than the Big 12. SMU is an interesting case of a booster base willing to shell out absurd money for a seat at the table, but was combined with a forward thinking Athletic Department. Recent years don’t suggest we have that same ambition or willingness to spend. 

If no football Gonzaga is invited as the 17th XII member, I think another non-football 18th XII slot will open. 

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

If no football Gonzaga is invited as the 17th XII member, I think another non-football 18th XII slot will open. 

I’d be willing to guess Saint Mary’s or VCU gets called ahead of us if that’s the case. 

The best-case scenario for SLU is for the Zags to join the B12 and then the B12 to poach a school from the Big East (St. John's? Villanova?), thus creating a spot for the BE to backfill. (Though I wouldn't be shocked if the BE is already looking to expand in connection with its next media deal.)

18 minutes ago, sludevil said:

The best-case scenario for SLU is for the Zags to join the B12 and then the B12 to poach a school from the Big East (St. John's? Villanova?), thus creating a spot for the BE to backfill. (Though I wouldn't be shocked if the BE is already looking to expand in connection with its next media deal.)

This makes more sense than SLU to the Big 12 But no one is going to look at us unless we start winning. 

I think it's highly unlikely but crazy sh#t has been going on lately.   So the wild speculation is just fun. 

I agree on a more likely scenario is B12 takes a BE team then needs a backfill.

4 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Gonzaga is in the conversation because they win a ton, are a national brand, and will draw TV dollars. We have zero of those things at the present moment, and have no argument. SLU to the Big 12 is one of the most absurd things ever put forth on this board. 

Ohio Valley or B12? In which conference will SLU end up!? If you will it, it is no dream.

54 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Rumor was they were looking at UConn

This was actually confirmed at the time by Brett Yormark, but today's report notes that those discussions are dead. My guess is that if the B12 gets Gonzaga, they'll want to pair the Zags with another basketball-only school. 

2 hours ago, sludevil said:

This was actually confirmed at the time by Brett Yormark, but today's report notes that those discussions are dead. My guess is that if the B12 gets Gonzaga, they'll want to pair the Zags with another basketball-only school. 

I think the real question is what value do they assign in the rights fee paid to football, and what do they assign to men’s basketball. Right now I think it’s just one number for it all, I’m sure the other teams in the B12 wouldn’t want to share the money they get from football with a university that doesn’t have a team

9 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Yes and Yes❗❗

The Big XII Commissioner previously spoke of unbundling Basketball, thinks Hoops is undervalued. SLU sits right in the middle of the #21 TV market, well within the XII footprint. 

SLU and new XII member Cincinnati were conference mates for many years, from the Missouri Valley to the Metro, to the Great Midwest, to C-USA. SLU and Oklahoma State (then Oklahoma A&M) were once big rivals long ago in the MVC. 

I read somewhere today, (can't find it now) that in 2024 we will become the #23 market in the US. We will be passed by Charlotte and one other, I think Orlando. Saint Louis, always on the move! Yay, us!

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Army and Navy in the same football conference?

Yes, but not when they play their annual game. 

From CBS Sports:   Army will now be in the same conference as traditional rival Navy. However, sources told Dodd in September that the plan is for the annual December rivalry game to remain a nonconference showdown. Both teams will be eligible to participate in the AAC Championship Game the previous week. 

38 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Let's say that happens. I assume the A10 has to kick VCU out for all other sports, right? 

You would think so. The other low level east coast conferences are going through some changes with Merrimack and Sacred Heart leaving the NEC for the MEAC next year. 

But damn, losing VCU makes the A10 not great...

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, but not when they play their annual game. 

From CBS Sports:   Army will now be in the same conference as traditional rival Navy. However, sources told Dodd in September that the plan is for the annual December rivalry game to remain a nonconference showdown. Both teams will be eligible to participate in the AAC Championship Game the previous week. 

Weird, but I guess whatever generates the most TV revenue will be what prevails…

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

You would think so. The other low level east coast conferences are going through some changes with Merrimack and Sacred Heart leaving the NEC for the MEAC next year. 

But damn, losing VCU makes the A10 not great...

If VCU leaves we should really reconsider pushing for membership in the AAC. It would clearly be a stronger basketball conference than the A-10 and a better geographic fit too. Yes, they aren't catholic schools but that is overrated as a reason to be in a conference. Plus, with our recent NCAA tourney drought we won't be leaving behind but one NCAA Unit with only a couple years remaining.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Let's say that happens. I assume the A10 has to kick VCU out for all other sports, right? 

The AAC sponsors a full range of sports in pretty much the same sports as the A10 (may be a few differences, but looks 90% the same), so why not move over for them? Normally if you are a member of a conference and that conference sponsors a competition in a sport you field a team in, you play in that conference. Only if your conference doesn’t sponsor that sport do you go looking for another conference to be affiliated with in that sport.  Example locally, SIUE is a member of the OVC, but before this year they played in the MVC for men’s soccer. The OVC started sponsoring men’s soccer this year, so they started playing in the OVC. Maybe if the AAC doesn’t sponsor a sport and the A10 does you let them be an affiliate in that sport, but if they are pulling men’s basketball from the A10, I see no reason whatsoever why you let or want them to keep playing other sports in your conference.

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The AAC sponsors a full range of sports in pretty much the same sports as the A10 (may be a few differences, but looks 90% the same), so why not move over for them? Normally if you are a member of a conference and that conference sponsors a competition in a sport you field a team in, you play in that conference. Only if your conference doesn’t sponsor that sport do you go looking for another conference to be affiliated with in that sport.  Example locally, SIUE is a member of the OVC, but before this year they played in the MVC for men’s soccer. The OVC started sponsoring men’s soccer this year, so they started playing in the OVC. Maybe if the AAC doesn’t sponsor a sport and the A10 does you let them be an affiliate in that sport, but if they are pulling men’s basketball from the A10, I see no reason whatsoever why you let or want them to keep playing other sports in your conference.

In reading the original tweet it referenced "Basketball Only" member. I took that as them only going to play basketball, but now that I think about it more, it really just means they don't play football but would play every other sport in the AAC.

Box and Won likes this