O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now seeing The Valley is looking at Murray State, Texas-Arlington and Kansas City.

Always thought Kansas City (UMKC) would be a great fit, geographically.  

We're heading to Las Vegas tomorrow for my pandemic delayed by a year birthday celebration.  The Fordham alumnus progeny is flying in from NYC to join us.

We're going to see the Las Vegas Raiders play Cincinnati at the Death Star on Sunday.  I was a 25 year Oakland Raiders Season Ticket Member.  I'll spend nearly as much for tickets to this one game in Las Vegas, as I spent for a whole season in Oakland.

Las Vegas is hosting a veritable cornucopia of sports this weekend, including a College Hoops doubleheader tomorrow night at T-Mobile Arena:  Wichita State vs. Arizona;  Michigan vs. UNLV.  The winners and losers play each other Sunday night.

Saturday night features the Vegas Golden Knights vs. the Columbus Blue Jackets in NHL action at the same venue.

Do I pick College Hoops, the NHL, or both ?  

Should I ask Ms. BAB to extend the trip one day so we can see Notre Dame vs. St. Mary's Monday night?  Or is that pressing my luck?

To paraphrase Frank Sinatra, The Chairman of the Board, Luck be a Lady this weekend.

Las Vegas has a number of arenas and venues to host these events.

Gonzaga is taking up residence in Las Vegas next week, playing 3 games there, vs. Central Michigan Monday, UCLA Tuesday, and Duke next Friday.  

I'd like to go fishing with the Zag folks to see if they bite re the Big East.

We should extend our stay ...

i'd tske the college hoops doubleheader.   i cant name  more than 10 hockey players and 8 of them i can name are blues.  so that wouldnt interest me.  

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Getting top talent hasn't been Texas's biggest problem.  Over the last decade they have signed more 5 star recruits than Oklahoma.  During that time OU won 7 Big 12 titles and Texas won 0.

Agree.  This will just make them the best paid 4-7 team in the SEC.

We'll see how it goes if this coach is the right one.   So far so bad but Saban lost to LA Monroe year 1 so anything is possible. 

Just look for the other big time programs to follow suit.   

Nice catch Hoosier...

I think Sun Belt pretty much focusing on football, and Little Rock and UT-Arlington getting the same treatment we got from C-USA , not having football, needing new homes...  OVC and A- SUN more changes coming soon

• 1 month later...

Posted in another thread but probably makes more sense here. Full list of pending conference moves as of today (2/9/2022):

A10: Adding 1 (Loyola-Chicago) for a total of 15.

America East: Losing 2 (Hartford, which is leaving D-I, and Stony Brook) for 8 remaining programs.

American: Losing 3 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) and adding 6 (FAU, UAB, Charlotte, UNT, Rice, and UTSA) for a total of 14 members.

Atlantic Sun: Losing 2 (Liberty and Jacksonville State, which just joined), and adding 2 (Austin Peay, one school TBA).

Big 12: Adding 4 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, BYU) and losing 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Big South: Losing Hampton to the Colonial, and will have 11 teams left.

Big Sky: Losing Southern Utah to the WAC, so 10 will remain.

Colonial: James Madison is leaving for the Sun Belt, so the CAA added 3 (Stony Brook, Hampton, and Monmouth) and will have 12 programs.

CUSA: Losing 9 schools (Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, and UTSA) and adding 4 (Liberty, Jacksonville State, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston State). 9 will remain.

Horizon: Losing 1 (UIC) to the Valley, leaving 11 programs.

MAAC: Losing 1 (Monmouth) to the Colonial. 10 left.

MVC: Losing 1 (Loyola-Chicago) and adding 3 (Murray State, Belmont, UIC) for a 12-team conference.

OVC: Losing 3 more (Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay) and gaining 2 (Little Rock, Southern Indiana). EKU and Jacksonville State already left for the A-Sun. There will be 9 left.

SEC: Adding 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Southland: Already lost 4 schools (Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar) to the WAC and Incarnate Word is heading there next. UCA left for the A-Sun. New D-I school Texas A&M-Commerce will join, for a total of 8 moving forward.

Sun Belt: Adding 4 (Southern Miss, Old Dominion, Marshall, and James Madison) and losing 2 (UT-Arlington and Little Rock), so 14 will remain.

WAC: Currently at 13 after adding 5 Southland schools, but newcomer Sam Houston State is leaving along with New Mexico State, both going to CUSA. Chicago State is leaving without a destination (and should probably go down a division). Southern Utah is joining next season along with Incarnate Word and UT-Arlington. So that brings the total back to 13 next year with those 3 more leaving and 3 entering.

WCC: Losing 1 (BYU) to the Big 12, so dropping from 10 to 9 schools.

There are some awkward conferences left so this won't be the end of it. The Southern Indiana announcement coming later this week could be for the OVC, which could really use them. It would also be a good replacement for UIC in the Horizon, although they're losing that big market. Not sure any other leagues make sense right now.

EDIT: Southern Indiana to the OVC.

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

57 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Posted in another thread but probably makes more sense here. Full list of pending conference moves as of today (2/9/2022):

A10: Adding 1 (Loyola-Chicago) for a total of 15.

America East: Losing 2 (Hartford, which is leaving D-I, and Stony Brook) for 8 remaining programs.

American: Losing 3 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) and adding 6 (FAU, UAB, Charlotte, UNT, Rice, and UTSA) for a total of 14 members.

Atlantic Sun: Losing 2 (Liberty and Jacksonville State, which just joined), and adding 2 (Austin Peay, one school TBA).

Big 12: Adding 4 (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, BYU) and losing 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Big South: Losing Hampton to the Colonial, and will have 11 teams left.

Big Sky: Losing Southern Utah to the WAC, so 10 will remain.

Colonial: James Madison is leaving for the Sun Belt, so the CAA added 3 (Stony Brook, Hampton, and Monmouth) and will have 12 programs.

CUSA: Losing 9 schools (Old Dominion, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, and UTSA) and adding 4 (Liberty, Jacksonville State, New Mexico State, and Sam Houston State). 9 will remain.

Horizon: Losing 1 (UIC) to the Valley, leaving 11 programs.

MAAC: Losing 1 (Monmouth) to the Colonial. 10 left.

MVC: Losing 1 (Loyola-Chicago) and adding 3 (Murray State, Belmont, UIC) for a 12-team conference.

OVC: Losing 3 more (Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay) and gaining 1 (Little Rock). EKU and Jacksonville State already left for the A-Sun. There will be 8 left.

SEC: Adding 2 (Texas, Oklahoma).

Southland: Already lost 4 schools (Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar) to the WAC and Incarnate Word is heading there next. UCA left for the A-Sun. New D-I school Texas A&M-Commerce will join, for a total of 8 moving forward.

Sun Belt: Adding 4 (Southern Miss, Old Dominion, Marshall, and James Madison) and losing 2 (UT-Arlington and Little Rock), so 14 will remain.

WAC: Currently at 13 after adding 5 Southland schools, but newcomer Sam Houston State is leaving along with New Mexico State, both going to CUSA. Chicago State is leaving without a destination (and should probably go down a division). Southern Utah is joining next season along with Incarnate Word and UT-Arlington. So that brings the total back to 13 next year with those 3 more leaving and 3 entering.

WCC: Losing 1 (BYU) to the Big 12, so dropping from 10 to 9 schools.

There are some awkward conferences left so this won't be the end of it. The Southern Indiana announcement coming later this week could be for the OVC, which could really use them. It would also be a good replacement for UIC in the Horizon, although they're losing that big market. Not sure any other leagues make sense right now.

-great summary, thank you

52 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Southern Indiana is going D1 and to the OVC next year.

USI was already treating their D2 sports like a D1 school. The GLVC is arguably the most big-time D2 hoops conference. If anyone hasn't been there, their facilities are better than some in our league, which I know isn't saying much. For example, check out their basketball arena:

https://gousieagles.com/sports/2019/11/10/screaming-eagles-arena.aspx?id=363

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

USI was already treating their D2 sports like a D1 school. The GLVC is arguably the most big-time D2 hoops conference. If anyone hasn't been there, their facilities are better than some in our league, which I know isn't saying much. For example, check out their basketball arena:

https://gousieagles.com/sports/2019/11/10/screaming-eagles-arena.aspx?id=363

Scroll through the gallery at the bottom of that link. Really nice. They've been a great D-II program for a long time.

Welcome to the big show, Screaming Eagles.

Love the crosstown rivalry potential with Evansville, too. Campuses are 8 miles/15 minutes apart.