Committed! - DeAndre Jones

30 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Calling Pistol.... updates. We know you have a job, but c'mon man. 😎

Two Jones-related threads tied together in Twitter: 

Basically this gives us depth and versatility in the backcourt. We still don't know if Williams will be given a waiver but we're deep either way. We can play a lot of different ways, give opposing defenses a lot of different looks. We'll be able to defend.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Two Jones-related threads tied together in Twitter: 

Basically this gives us depth and versatility in the backcourt. We still don't know if Williams will be given a waiver but we're deep either way. We can play a lot of different ways, give opposing defenses a lot of different looks. We'll be able to defend.

-appears we have the assets to do such, how they are deployed is the key

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  Lot of wing players

I’m hoping we play Hargrove and Perkins together a lot. Or Perkins and Strickland. Or all three. 

Don’t love the idea of having two of our “bigs” out there together for extended period of time.

RUBillsFan and Zink like this

50 minutes ago, NH said:

I’m hoping we play Hargrove and Perkins together a lot. Or Perkins and Strickland. Or all three. 

Don’t love the idea of having two of our “bigs” out there together for extended period of time.

This is an idea I've been wrestling with since Ford hinted a couple weeks ago they might take another big for this season. We have 3 guys who are true centers - albeit different from one another - and we don't have anyone resembling a true power forward. Not that basketball has stayed in a conventional 1-2-3-4-5 mode, but I just don't see us running two of Okoro, Bell, and Linssen for long stretches. Forwards have gotten so much faster and more athletic, we're going to struggle to guard opposing players who are in between a wing and a post.

Which brings us to Strickland and Lorentsson, the tallest guys on the roster after Bell, Linssen, and Okoro. They're guys who could guard a 4 just based on their length, but they're both slender and need both physical and skill development (unless either had a huge offseason that we don't know about). I would like to see Strickland in particular unleashed more this season. Just don't know if the minutes are there yet now, given our guard stockpile.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is an idea I've been wrestling with since Ford hinted a couple weeks ago they might take another big for this season. We have 3 guys who are true centers - albeit different from one another - and we don't have anyone resembling a true power forward. Not that basketball has stayed in a conventional 1-2-3-4-5 mode, but I just don't see us running two of Okoro, Bell, and Linssen for long stretches. Forwards have gotten so much faster and more athletic, we're going to struggle to guard opposing players who are in between a wing and a post.

Which brings us to Strickland and Lorentsson, the tallest guys on the roster after Bell, Linssen, and Okoro. They're guys who could guard a 4 just based on their length, but they're both slender and need both physical and skill development (unless either had a huge offseason that we don't know about). I would like to see Strickland in particular unleashed more this season. Just don't know if the minutes are there yet now, given our guard stockpile.

With the bulk and strength Perkins has added, I suspect he'll be guarding those 4's.

bauman likes this

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It will be interesting to watch how the team evolves. We always think of how big of a loss Goodwin is, because he was arguably the best player. However, French’s departure will probably have a bigger impact. The whole style of play has been based around his style since he was a freshman. Bully ball was kind of tailored to his strengths. Fred Thatch is kind of a Goodwin molded player. I don’t know that Okoro is a French molded player. 

That said, we have lost a lot of rebounding. We will need to be able to rebound equivalently to our competition. Can Okoro rebound at that rate? I think Fred Thatch (or maybe if one of the other wings proves an ability to rebound) will have to play a ton if we go with a smaller lineup. Maybe any lineup.

24 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

With the bulk and strength Perkins has added, I suspect he'll be guarding those 4's.

He very well might be. He and Thatch have the physicality, and although I wouldn't necessarily form a lineup with him guarding a forward, Nesbitt wouldn't be giving up much size, either.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It will be interesting to watch how the team evolves. We always think of how big of a loss Goodwin is, because he was arguably the best player. However, French’s departure will probably have a bigger impact. The whole style of play has been based around his style since he was a freshman. Bully ball was kind of tailored to his strengths. Fred Thatch is kind of a Goodwin molded player. I don’t know that Okoro is a French molded player. 

That said, we have lost a lot of rebounding. We will need to be able to rebound equivalently to our competition. Can Okoro rebound at that rate? I think Fred Thatch (or maybe if one of the other wings proves an ability to rebound) will have to play a ton if we go with a smaller lineup. Maybe any lineup.

I honestly don't think we leaned into the whole bully ball thing as much as we could've last season. It wound up being that way sometimes, but I would have gone physically harder on certain opponents than we did.

We're losing some rebounding, no question. Goodwin's rebounding from the guard position is literally irreplaceable. No other guard does what he does in that department. However, French didn't have a great season and Okoro is taller and longer. Bell and Linssen both have another year under their belts. Nesbitt has great size for his position. We'll be a good rebounding team, just not like the last couple years.

Ford isn't a system guy. He molds his style to his roster. We lose rebounding and strength but we should be a more effective team offensively.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

This is an idea I've been wrestling with since Ford hinted a couple weeks ago they might take another big for this season. We have 3 guys who are true centers - albeit different from one another - and we don't have anyone resembling a true power forward. Not that basketball has stayed in a conventional 1-2-3-4-5 mode, but I just don't see us running two of Okoro, Bell, and Linssen for long stretches. Forwards have gotten so much faster a more athletic, we're going to struggle to guard opposing players who are in between a wing and a post.

It is very rare to find a good college basketball team these days who are playing two bigs who can't shoot the 3. Bill Self at Kansas was always known for playing two post players, but even he admitted you can't get away with it anymore. I struggle to see a path for us being good offensively with two of Bell/Linssen/Okoro on the floor at the same time. To your point though, I think Strickland, Linssen, Hargrove and Perkins can all likely guard opposing 4s against almost all teams we'll play.

Here are what the numbers look like to me....

Last year's slash line looks great....unfortunately , because of his shortened season,  the numbers don't register because they are all small sample sizes.

I have put together a more meaningful slash line...lines from seasons that have enough data.

41.6% (18-19)/ 35% (19-20) / 82% (18-19 & 19-20)

Note...while previous 3P seasons qualified, only 19-20 has the current 3P line.,,,again 20-21 sm sam size

Graded out slash....D / B- / A+