Chris May

Brighton

all three are public universities which much larger enrollments.   while we might be able to compete in men's basketball, wave goodbye to competing in any other sport with the money the state would print for the others.  

second, with all of them being public and us being a private school, no way our philosophies align.   

i vote a hard no.  

TheBand and slufanskip like this

21 minutes ago, Brighton said:

needs to get on the phone and call for an invite to the AAC ASAP.  Think of the rivalries we would have with Cincinnati, Memphis, and Wichita State.

A10 has had more bids than the AAC since the AAC started. 

RUBillsFan likes this

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Threads about how we should change conferences. My least favorite time of the year.

Maybe I'm crazy but I am a big fan of the A10

Im not a big fan, but its better than we typically give it credit for.  Umass and URI should be better than they've been the last 5 years.  And Fordham needs to stop being sub 250, but that's really about all the issues I have

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im not a big fan, but its better than we typically give it credit for.  Umass and URI should be better than they've been the last 5 years.  And Fordham needs to stop being sub 250, but that's really about all the issues I have

fordham really frustrates me.   being in the biggest city in america should be such an advantage.  the player pool there is extradinary and it seems to me with a little investment in facilities and coaching and budgets in general there is no reason fordham actually isnt a bigtime player.   i complain about our BoT a lot, but man i would take our university board in a second over fordham.   they obviously dont even try.  

A10Ref likes this

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

fordham really frustrates me.   being in the biggest city in america should be such an advantage.  the player pool there is extradinary and it seems to me with a little investment in facilities and coaching and budgets in general there is no reason fordham actually isnt a bigtime player.   i complain about our BoT a lot, but man i would take our university board in a second over fordham.   they obviously dont even try.  

Ya Fordham HAS the money if they wanted to invest more into the sports program. Maybe their new AD can somehow get that program in the right direction.  Also, Im not expecting them to become a big program because of where they are located or their resources, but no reason they cant be on the same level at GMU, Lasalle etc

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

needs to get on the phone and call for an invite to the AAC ASAP.  Think of the rivalries we would have with Cincinnati, Memphis, and Wichita State.

I am all in.

I would like playing Memphis, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Tulsa, Houston, Temple

The only teams I would miss playing in the A10 is Dayton, VCU, and St. Bonaventure.

Roy is right about the disadvantages.

16 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am all in.

I would like playing Memphis, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Tulsa, Houston, Temple

The only teams I would miss playing in the A10 is Dayton, VCU, and St. Bonaventure.

Roy is right about the disadvantages.

And when two of the three, Memphis, Cincy and Houston, get poached by the Big 12, we are worse off.  That huge CUSA rivalry with USF really did noting for me.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

And when two of the three, Memphis, Cincy and Houston, get poached by the Big 12, we are worse off.  That huge CUSA rivalry with USF really did noting for me.

I have not heard anything about that, is there talk?

I would think Wichita State would be a fit too.

If those teams left for a better conference I would not like that at all.

SLU is in the A10 for better or for worse.  Believe me, I get as frustrated with SLU in this East Coast bus league as many others, especially after debacles like last night in that Warehouse in Richmond, VA, The Ted Valentine Show, with sidekick Brian "Big East" O'Connell.  The ceiling of VCU's Siegel Center reminds of a WalMart ceiling, literally.

But, there is no better available conference for SLU.  It is A10 or bust.  I don't think the AAC is the answer.  Nor is the MVC.  

Let's make the A10 better.  Let's lobby to get Loyola Chicago into the A10.  Loyola is in Chicago, the nation's third biggest TV market.  Loyola has a NET of 11, is ranked 21st in the AP and 22nd in the Coaches Poll.  Loyola went to the Final Four in 2018, is NCAA Tournament bound again in 2021.  Loyola is not a fit for the current MVC, except geographically.

Chicago is a five hour drive from St. Louis, and Loyola would provide a second (along with Dayton) A10 Outer Island partner for SLU.  Loyola would provide a second Central Time Zone A10 member to go with SLU.  Three (or four, perhaps Belmont in Nashville) A10 teams West of the Appalachians would at least provide a counterweight to the newer A10 Southern Alliance, the one that was awarded the A10 Tournament.

Maybe Loyola isn't interested, but it's worth a try.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I have not heard anything about that, is there talk?

I would think Wichita State would be a fit too.

If those teams left for a better conference I would not like that at all.

As recently as 2018 the Big 12 voted to expand and then didn’t. Many articles were written in the sports world about logical candidates. Those 3 were in every one along with others. 

Think we all would love a Big East invite, but with UConn going back, they can have their 20 game conference schedule, so don't see expansion. 

I think the A-10 is our best option, rihht now..Would be cool with Loyola and or Belmont ,invite, if the league were to expand.  

The problem with the AAC is football, IF we were to join, would be like Wichita State, odd ones out...

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As recently as 2018 the Big 12 voted to expand and then didn’t. Many articles were written in the sports world about logical candidates. Those 3 were in every one along with others. 

I did not know that thank you HP. 
I always trust you, I had not heard of it myself is why I asked.

17 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I did not know that thank you HP. 
I always trust you, I had not heard of it myself is why I asked.

Google Big 12 expansion.  There are countless articles on it.  What was memorable in 2018 was the vote to expand.  Then said 'never mind'.  Obviously football was the driver.  There were about 10 logical candidates, including poaching some from the Pac 12.  They also looking at the Florida schools from the AAC, rationalizing they could get a better recruiting base in FL if they had members there. 

Once the economics of this past year get straightened out, look for this talk to resume a few years down the road.  The press is on for 20 basketball game league schedules.  That doesn't work with 10 schools in the Big 12.  

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

If two of those leave, it'd probably be Houston and Cincy whose football programs are a step above Memphis and the whole point would be to strengthen the Big 12's College Football Playoff chances. WKU would probably be a leading replacement candidate. Being in a conference with Memphis, Wichita State, WKU, Tulsa, SMU and Temple would provide at least comparable match-ups to the A10, with significantly better geography. 

CBFan likes this

18 hours ago, wgstl said:

A10 would be ideal for us if we got rid of Fordham and added Loyola Chi or Belmont, two schools who are deeply committed to hoops. 

16 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU is in the A10 for better or for worse.  Believe me, I get as frustrated with SLU in this East Coast bus league as many others, especially after debacles like last night in that Warehouse in Richmond, VA, The Ted Valentine Show, with sidekick Brian "Big East" O'Connell.  The ceiling of VCU's Siegel Center reminds of a WalMart ceiling, literally.

But, there is no better available conference for SLU.  It is A10 or bust.  I don't think the AAC is the answer.  Nor is the MVC.  

Let's make the A10 better.  Let's lobby to get Loyola Chicago into the A10.  Loyola is in Chicago, the nation's third biggest TV market.  Loyola has a NET of 11, is ranked 21st in the AP and 22nd in the Coaches Poll.  Loyola went to the Final Four in 2018, is NCAA Tournament bound again in 2021.  Loyola is not a fit for the current MVC, except geographically.

Chicago is a five hour drive from St. Louis, and Loyola would provide a second (along with Dayton) A10 Outer Island partner for SLU.  Loyola would provide a second Central Time Zone A10 member to go with SLU.  Three (or four, perhaps Belmont in Nashville) A10 teams West of the Appalachians would at least provide a counterweight to the newer A10 Southern Alliance, the one that was awarded the A10 Tournament.

Maybe Loyola isn't interested, but it's worth a try.

The A10 isn't a big enough jump from the MVC to make it worthwhile for Loyola. There isn't any TV money involved so they'd be giving up $$ to go to the A10 which frankly has worse TV exposure than the MVC.

The A10 needs significantly better leadership and that leadership needs to start holding athletic departments accountable for spend and vision. Fordham shouldn't be allowed to consistently drag the conference down by being THAT bad. 

SLU to anywhere but the Big East makes little sense. The only thing at this point that could make sense would be some sort of midwestern private school conference that includes Loyola, Drake, Bradley, SLU, Dayton, etc. I highly doubt something like that ever happens for obvious reasons though. 

A mid major Midwest version of the Beast would be a good conference: 

SLU

LOYOLA

BELMONT 

DRAKE 

BRADLEY 

VALPO

DAYTON

But then who? You can’t have a 7 team conf these days because of conferences scheduling more in conf games. I can’t think of any other private MW schools that take BB seriously enough to put the best product on the floor. You need at a minimum 3 more schools, and you don’t want to add 3 bottom feeders just to fill in the blanks.