SLU Women's Soccer Thread

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

no, that should have been a foul...the benefit of the doubt always goes to the keeper....the Bills were the better team, but they clearly had a questionable call at best go their way....

Unfortunately I agree with you.  I saw the replay several times.  Questionable at best.  But we won, they lost. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You can't just make a blanket statement like that. I doesn't work like that.

Again, the goalie completely misplayed the ball, she did not come out authoritatively and therefore didn't get to the ball. Caroline Kelly, while in the keepers way was forced there by the opposing defender. It's just like hockey goalie interference.

Now you're just going out of your way to call me out.

I think "completely" is harsh. She could've been more assertive earlier but that was a really high, slow moving lob into the area. It was a ball that was naturally going to cause a little chaos. VCU's goalie was excellent overall.

I actually didn't react at all after Kelly scored. I was certain it would be called off on my first watch. Replays made me less certain, and it looks like nothing at all from the angle SLU shared from the end line. Right or wrong, it's just something I would've expected to be called.

SLU was the better team. Had it been called off, who knows how the last 25 minutes would've played out. With Kelly and Gaebe out there together, SLU may very well have scored in the next few minutes.

I'm happy to take the coin flip here and walk away with the W.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Now you're just going out of your way to call me out.

I think "completely" is harsh. She could've been more assertive earlier but that was a really high, slow moving lob into the area. It was a ball that was naturally going to cause a little chaos. VCU's goalie was excellent overall.

I actually didn't react at all after Kelly scored. I was certain it would be called off on my first watch. Replays made me less certain, and it looks like nothing at all from the angle SLU shared from the end line. Right or wrong, it's just something I would've expected to be called.

SLU was the better team. Had it been called off, who knows how the last 25 minutes would've played out. With Kelly and Gaebe out there together, SLU may very well have scored in the next few minutes.

I'm happy to take the coin flip here and walk away with the W.

Verbal meme: ...and I took that personally.

Pistol likes this

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

Youre Wrong GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

no, I'm not wrong.....if you watch the video, the SLU player clearly backed into the keeper before the ball arrived, which constitutes a foul. Secondly, once a keeper makes contact with the ball, they can not be touched, which also occurred. Goalies, with good reason are normally given a measure of protection because of their vulnerability....it doesn't make you a bad fan to admit that your team caught a break...

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I know it will be tough to improve RPI the rest of the way because SLU isn't guaranteed to have any games against high RPI teams.  However, finishing top 8 in RPI would go a long way toward getting a top 8 seed.  That would allow SLU to host later round NCAA games would be a huge boon for the program.

St. Joes RPI is 250

I don't want to get too far ahead here, but what the heck this is a message board.  We should be rooting for Loyola (110) or LaSalle (112) to wind up in the #8 seed spot instead of Rhody (196), Fordham (257), or Richmond (289).  Then we'd prefer to get UMass (73), Davidson (84), or Duquesne (90) in the 2nd round and avoid St Joes (257).  In the A10 finals we'd want VCU (43) or Dayton (53).  Get lucky with higher RPI draws, win out, get a top 8 seed in the NCAAs and home field advantage until elite eight.  

All SLU can do is win games. A lot goes into scheduling.

This season SLU had 4 good non conference RPI games. I think they would have liked one more this year. They have had 5 a few times in recent years. SLU is strategically educated guessing how their opponents will do. And of course you have to get results in those games. Getting Arkansas and Notre Dame at home is no small scheduling feat.

Nebraska is tied for 5th in the Big 10, a top 50 ish RPI team. Xavier is 2nd best in the Big East around the top 30 RPI. Both Notre Dame and Arkansas are near the top of the ACC and SEC and top 10 RPI teams. Their is still conference tourney opportunity. 

The A10 could help itself more especially with the bottom tier, and try to get as many top 100 RPI teams as it can annually. 

The A10 was not a top 10 league this year. That would be a good place to start. Need more consistent programs to add to VCU and Dayton. Loyola will be a good addition. They understand program building and recruiting. 

Short little KC recruiting and back at it for a home game Sunday.

40 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

no, I'm not wrong.....if you watch the video, the SLU player clearly backed into the keeper before the ball arrived, which constitutes a foul. Secondly, once a keeper makes contact with the ball, they can not be touched, which also occurred. Goalies, with good reason are normally given a measure of protection because of their vulnerability....it doesn't make you a bad fan to admit that your team caught a break...

We’re clearly watching a different video. We understand the rules, though I don’t think you do. There is no rule that says a keeper gets a clear path to the ball. When the ball is in the air the offensive player has as much right to it as the keeper. The contact was mostly initiated by the keeper not Kelly. Nice to assume anyone who disagrees with you is just being a homer. 

Bills By 40 likes this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

The SLU player was pushed into the path of the keeper. The keeper is the one with forward momentum and initiates the contact.

IS SLU FORTUNATE THE REF DIDN'T DISALLOW THE GOAL? YES

SHOULD THE REF HAVE DISALLOWED THE GOAL? UNEQUIVOCALLY, NO.

slufanskip likes this

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We’re clearly watching a different video. We understand the rules, though I don’t think you do. There is no rule that says a keeper gets a clear path to the ball. When the ball is in the air the offensive player has as much right to it as the keeper. The contact was mostly initiated by the keeper not Kelly. Nice to assume anyone who disagrees with you is just being a homer. 

Kelly lost where the ball was and backed into the keeper. You’re obviously not aware of the rule where possession by the keeper is constituted  when they touch the ball (which clearly happened), and once there is possession they can’t be touched. As for being a homer, I think you have things backwards. You obviously expect Billiken fans to ignore the facts just because it benefited them. You remind me of a lot of KC Royal fans….oh, and by the way there are a lot of VCU fans and a local announcer of the game who disagrees with you as well.

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Kelly lost where the ball was and backed into the keeper. You’re obviously not aware of the rule where possession by the keeper is constituted  when they touch the ball (which clearly happened), and once there is possession they can’t be touched. As for being a homer, I think you have things backwards. You obviously expect Billiken fans to ignore the facts just because it benefited them. You remind me of a lot of KC Royal fans….oh, and by the way there are a lot of VCU fans and a local announcer of the game who disagrees with you as well.

Wow some VCU fans disagree. I'm shocked. I don't care what our announcer thought, I'm glad he does the games, and they are on espn+ but he frequently says some pretty puzzling things. If we are playing this game the ref agrees with me, so there is that. I have never been a like the call just because it benefited us person, in fact I was the one arguing a handball should have been called against us in a previous game and defending the ref on the play where Abby Miller came out of the goal and bumped the keeper. The contact is made before the keeper has the ball and it is mostly created by the keeper coming out and her falling down is due to her jumping into Kelly. I'm aware of the rules regarding the keeper. I was a keeper for 25 years. I want to protect keepers and believe the rules do that. However, you shouldn't interpret those rules in a way that prevents the offensive player from challenging the keeper for a 50/50 ball. They are both going for the ball. What you seem to think is Kelly should have stopped and just opened up the space for the keeper to go get the ball. If that were the case, there would be a foul on every single corner kick, or the keeper could just spot a player that's moving and initiate contact on the way to the ball.   I agree with the no call. We just disagree. Have a good day

RUBillsFan likes this

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The SLU player was pushed into the path of the keeper. The keeper is the one with forward momentum and initiates the contact.

IS SLU FORTUNATE THE REF DIDN'T DISALLOW THE GOAL? YES

SHOULD THE REF HAVE DISALLOWED THE GOAL? UNEQUIVOCALLY, NO.

30 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Wow some VCU fans disagree. I'm shocked. I don't care what our announcer thought, I'm glad he does the games, and they are on espn+ but he frequently says some pretty puzzling things. If we are playing this game the ref agrees with me, so there is that. I have never been a like the call just because it benefited us person, in fact I was the one arguing a handball should have been called against us in a previous game and defending the ref on the play where Abby Miller came out of the goal and bumped the keeper. The contact is made before the keeper has the ball and it is mostly created by the keeper coming out and her falling down is due to her jumping into Kelly. I'm aware of the rules regarding the keeper. I was a keeper for 25 years. I want to protect keepers and believe the rules do that. However, you shouldn't interpret those rules in a way that prevents the offensive player from challenging the keeper for a 50/50 ball. They are both going for the ball. What you seem to think is Kelly should have stopped and just opened up the space for the keeper to go get the ball. If that were the case, there would be a foul on every single corner kick, or the keeper could just spot a player that's moving and initiate contact on the way to the ball.   I agree with the no call. We just disagree. Have a good day

Ran out of reactions. You two are spot on, not-so-BIG BILL FAN is lost in a fantasy world where goalkeepers are the supreme rulers of the land and we must all part ways to allow them to do as they please. Get a grip, and go Lady Bills. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

And you wonder why people think you are arrogant..  if the tables had been reversed, you would have been the first to whine about it, and everyone knows it… 

13 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

And you wonder why people think you are arrogant..  if the tables had been reversed, you would have been the first to whine about it, and everyone knows it… 

Actually the roles have been reversed twice this year regarding calls made or not made that were discussed on the board and I didn’t take the SLU side on either. 

You’re wrong though, I don’t wonder why people think I’m arrogant.

It’s funny though, I’m arrogant because I think I’m right but you’re not for thinking you’re right. I am flattered though that you’ve cared enough about me to have conversations with enough people to know how they feel about me. That’s nice. Thank you. I wish, I could say the same about you though. My apologies. 

rgbilliken and RUBillsFan like this

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Actually the roles have been reversed twice this year regarding calls made or not made that were discussed on the board and I didn’t take the SLU side on either. 

You’re wrong though, I don’t wonder why people think I’m arrogant.

It’s funny though, I’m arrogant because I think I’m right but you’re not for thinking you’re right. I am flattered though that you’ve cared enough about me to have conversations with enough people to know how they feel about me. That’s nice. Thank you. I wish, I could say the same about you though. My apologies. 

No you’re not arrogant because you think you are right, you’re arrogant because you have  no respect or consideration for anyone else’s thought… your mocking of hearing that others disagree with you, is evidence of that. It’s apparent that you feel that women’s soccer is your exclusive domain and that everyone should bow down to the all knowing Skip…sorry that I pointed out a basic rule that you were unaware of….

SLU has a 2024 commitment from Emily Paul.

Emily is a 5’10 versatile Forward/Midfielder/Defender from Atherton High School in Louisville, Kentucky, where she was All District and First Team All Region so far this Fall. 

Emily plays club ball with 06 Racing Louisville Academy in the Ohio Valley Conference of ECNL. Her team most recently played in the North American Cup this Summer.

slufanskip likes this

Senior day for 4 Billiken soccer legends. Bri Halverson, Emily Groark, Abby Miller, and Hannah Friedrich. These 4 were the catalysts of this run that has propelled SLU to 5 straight NCAA tournaments. Abby is a true Sr, and Emily is a redshirt Sr. I'm pretty sure but not certain both could come back.  Imo for their sport it's more than Liddell and Lisch or JGood and Has. Game time is 1 PM. Ceremonies start 20 min before game. 

The other Sr's who are also responsible for where SLU now sits but I don't know if any of them will exercise their extra year and come back. 

Brianna Arthur

Anna Lawler

Karsen Kohl

Sydney Beach

Jaime Deberardinis

Congratulations to all of these ladies who all played a major role in vaulting SLU to the top few women's college soccer teams in the country. 

Im editing this as I somehow missed Anna Walsh and Jess Preusser took part also as she’s graduating early. Congratulations to these ladies

brianstl and courtside like this

Nice win over St Joseph’s, 4-0. Goals by Anna Lawler, Caroline Kelly, Emily Gaebe and Emily Groark, 2 assisted by Hannah Friedrich and one each by Caroline Kelly and Abbie Miller. No injuries that I saw, Hannah Sawyer played after being injured in the VCU game, but she had to come out with a limp. Lyndsey Heckel also started, but after the Billikens got ahead was pulled for Katelyn Brinkman. Lots of subs played lots of minutes. Last regular season game for Brianna Halverson, Hannah Friedrich, Sydney Beach, Anna Walsh, Jess Preusser (graduating a year early while played a sport has to be a noteworthy achievement, so congratulations to her), Brianna Arthur and Jaimie Debaredinis. Lots of minutes to be filled on next years team, and Coach Shields won’t give them away to those who don’t earn them by offseason conditioning and practicing hard, so good luck to those who want to earn those minutes.

Looks like our opponent is Loyola-Chicago, who beat out Fordham on a tiebreaker. They played us tough, and I’m sure they are anxious for a rematch, so SLU needs to bring their A game. Game time is 1pm October 29th, tickets aren’t on sale yet.

Roll Bills!

Today was Coach Shields 200th game as Head Coach at SLU. Big congratulations to her, hopefully many many more to come. 

billikenbill and slufanskip like this

42 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm curious to know what her win % is because it has to be crazy high.

Overall, she is 131-55-14, so .655

Remember, the three years before Coach Shields got here, the team was

2010 - 4-9-6

2011 - 5-10-3

2012 - 5-9-4

Coach Shields built what you see today, she didn’t inherit it

SLU is 9th in RPI after Sunday.

4-2-3-1 

24 players used.

4-0 Goals vs St. Joseph’s:

Kelly using her size as a target, finding the runner Lawler:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1584246162206310401?s=21&t=HNWPHY6gpoO1K6yvPFc4Hg

Kelly playing in space receiving a great through ball from Friedrich:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1584246959359266816?s=21&t=HNWPHY6gpoO1K6yvPFc4Hg

Miller making a play, holding, finds Gaebe who does what she does, creates space and blasts into upper netting:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1584251465912135680?s=21&t=HNWPHY6gpoO1K6yvPFc4Hg

Two way Hannah Friedrich with service to Gaebe who occupies two defenders for Groark to finish:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1584266046986678273?s=21&t=HNWPHY6gpoO1K6yvPFc4Hg

………………….

Other RPI of note:

Notre Dame 4, Arkansas 6, Xavier 25, Nebraska 70

…………………..

SLU came into the St. Joseph’s game tied for 3rd in scoring offense, but SLU will jump ahead of all 3 of the other teams going into next week. 7 different Billikens had at least 4 goals this season. And 7 different Billikens had at least 4 assists this season.

SLU is also top 10 nationally in goals allowed per game.

……………………..

Top rated SLU players vs VCU (soccer analytics) in order:  Kelly, Halverson, Beach, Lawler.

SLU tripled up both Dayton and Xavier in final 3rd approaches, and final 18 approaches, while controlling aerial play and playing very clean on the defensive half.

……………………..

Missouri State lost to the last place team in the Valley, Illinois State, and with that, they finish 2nd in the league to Valpo. 

…………………….

It took an 89th minute Anna Bagley free kick (talked about her set pieces for the SLU game) to help VCU salvage a 3-3 draw with George Mason:

https://twitter.com/vcuwomenssoccer/status/1584260361741512705?s=21&t=HNWPHY6gpoO1K6yvPFc4Hg

……………………

Another matchup with Loyola and All American Megan Nemec. SLU has potential to play 3 top 100 RPI teams in the A10 tourney as Loyola has squeaked back in it. 

………………….

22 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Senior day for 4 Billiken soccer legends. Bri Halverson, Emily Groark, Abby Miller, and Hannah Friedrich. These 4 were the catalysts of this run that has propelled SLU to 5 straight NCAA tournaments. Abby is a true Sr, and Emily is a redshirt Sr. I'm pretty sure but not certain both could come back.  Imo for their sport it's more than Liddell and Lisch or JGood and Has. Game time is 1 PM. Ceremonies start 20 min before game. 

The other Sr's who are also responsible for where SLU now sits but I don't know if any of them will exercise their extra year and come back. 

Brianna Arthur

Anna Lawler

Karsen Kohl

Sydney Beach

Jaime Deberardinis

Congratulations to all of these ladies who all played a major role in vaulting SLU to the top few women's college soccer teams in the country. 

Im editing this as I somehow missed Anna Walsh and Jess Preusser took part also as she’s graduating early. Congratulations to these ladies

Looks like the final list of honorees was: Halverson, Friedrich, Kohl, Beach, Arthur, Preusser, Deberardinis, and Walsh. Does this mean Lawler, Miller, and Groark are coming back next season?

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Looks like the final list of honorees was: Halverson, Friedrich, Kohl, Beach, Arthur, Preusser, Deberardinis, and Walsh. Does this mean Lawler, Miller, and Groark are coming back next season?

That’s what I am assuming as of now. It would be nice to get confirmation of that.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

If those three are returning, that is one heck of a foundation to build a team around.  It also means that all but two starters are returning.  Coach Katie just continues to build this team into a national power !