SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-I disagree with you, the foundation was put in place earlier by CKatie and players

I don't want to nitpick here but you've used this odd phrasing twice now and I can't help but feel as though it's a little patronizing. Coach Katie makes it sound like she's coaching 3rd grade girls CYC at St. Angela Merici. I feel like she deserves a little more than that just by being a head college soccer coach and has earned WAY more than that being the head coach of a top 10 program. 

36 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-just giving credit where I see that it is due, not taking anything away from current players

As I see it, you did take away from the current players with the wording of your post.  Yes, there were a couple of good years before the current players arrived, and while they didn't raise the national standing of the team those earlier years certainly helped in recruiting top players.  I agree with you about that.

However, I viewed your post as a gentle slam at the current group.  A post along the lines of, " While the current group has certainly helped raise the national rating of SLU Women's Soccer, let's not forget those prior players who also helped with the earlier stages of foundation building."

A nice win by the Billikens, it was 4-0 by halftime, ended up 6-0. A shutout shared between Emily Puricelli and Becca Wolterman. SLU ended up emptying their bench, I think everyone got to play some minutes this game. The Billikens now have goals by 14 different players, Anna Walsh and Karsen Kohl each scored a goal. Anna Walsh also got 2 assists, so she now leads the team in that category with 7. SLU also was much more efficient this time on offense, they got half as many shots as they did against George Mason (only 22 tonight vs 42 against GM), but scored twice as many goals.  The Billikens now have 49 goals scored (vs 8 by their opponents), the team record for goals scored in a season is 52 in 2018, and they have 3 more regular season games to play. They did tie the record for assists in a season, with 46 (which was the record from 2006).  And the record for fewest goals allowed in a season is 9, they are still under that. Now on a 12 game winning streak, longest in team history is 14.  The worst thing I saw was the Billiken inflatable had a problem and ended up faceplanting itself during the first half. They got it fixed by half time (honestly, I can’t really criticize much else).

Dayton on the road next, huge game on the road. SLU now 7-0 in conference, Dayton at 6-1. Dayton will also be looking for revenge for the loss at their home field in the conference championship, where they gave up 2 own goals.  VCU is 5-0-2 in third place, they are the next home game Oct 20th.

BuiltFordBills likes this

50 minutes ago, willie said:

What's wrong with noon?

Nothing, as long as you know the game started at noon.  If you thought the game started at 1pm and when you tuned in you realized it began an hour earlier, you might not be happy. The problem is with the A10 announcing start times and assuming everyone is in the east time zone along with them. 

Currently, the Number 1 Scoring Offense Team in the Country is:

Saint Louis University. 

……………………

SLU has an RPI of 15, after a lighter than usual Thursday night schedule. 

Nebraska (52 RPI) 3 Illinois 1 

Notre Dame 4

Arkansas 7

Xavier 24

………………

Dayton (56) still has A10 Offensive Player of the Year Itala Gemelli, and Laney Huber up front. And no player has played more minutes for Dayton than 1st Team All Conference Center Back Mackenzie Lutz, older sister of 2023 SLU commit Macy Lutz.

Speaking of Macy, she will be graduating early from high school and spending some time with Rome City Institute in Italy prior to college. 

The Flyers will play their wingbacks high and wings deeper, in what looks at times like a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-4-2 with Gemelli and Huber higher. 

…………………

4-2-3-1 for SLU in both of the last 2 games. Every eligible roster player played vs Rhode Island except Bart and Liz, out with injury.

……………….

HoosierPal likes this

It’s a winner! Billikens take Dayton, 2-1. Nice goals, they controlled the game the second half. Dayton couldn’t get that many chances at all.  Nice road win.

VCU up next, they actually have a higher RPI than Dayton did, so should be a challenge for SLU. At least it’s a home game. VCU took down Fordham 4-2 today, so they are now in second in the conference standings at 6-0-2 in conference, while SLU is now 8-0.

SLU 2 Dayton 1

It’s a 90 minute game, and SLU plays a 90 minute game.

A tactical change was made a few games ago to move Jess Preusser to the wing, with Anna Walsh in the middle, to have them both play at the same time. They otherwise play the same position in the central midfield. That paid off with Walsh to Sawyer to Preusser for SLU’s first goal, a 2nd 11 goal (Karsen Kohl also gave SLU good defensive midfield minutes) :

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1581705111013052418?s=21&t=ChB1xe_mkoOqzbNfSGsxeQ

SLU’s 2nd goal is indicative of one of the variety of ways that SLU can score, winning aerial duels off of set piece corners often with defenders getting forward, and also getting players in front of the goal:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1581717254630043648?s=21&t=J7I26qB4rr1HYjTy44w3jA

………………..

An additional tactical decision was made to move Bri Halverson to the right side and move Katie Houck to the left side. As mentioned here earlier in the season, Halverson has more effective runs, and combination play on the right side. That again was a factor much of the game.

………………

Credit to Dayton for giving SLU a good game and defending their final 3rd well, especially their final 18. Mackenzie Lutz was very good. 

It’s difficult to keep Gemelli and Huber down an entire game. And Huber was able to get behind the defense (Stram) early on a long ball and beat Puricelli to the top of the box. 10 straight wins for SLU over Dayton and unbeaten against them in their last 12 head to head.

…………………….

The NCAA released its top 12 teams. (SLU was not one of them). The results for the initial list were through October 13th. Since then, 3 of the bottom 5 teams (8-12) lost, and another had a bad draw. Almost all of the initial top 12 teams had a top 12 RPI at the time. The two that didn’t had a 13 and 15 RPI. 10 of the 12 had a top 10 RPI. 

After Sunday’s games, SLU’s RPI is now 12. There are 2 of 12 teams in the NCAA top 12 outside of the top 12 RPI. SLU is going to be better than its NCAA spot in the polls this week. 

…………………

34 minutes ago, courtside said:

SLU 2 Dayton 1

It’s a 90 minute game, and SLU plays a 90 minute game.

A tactical change was made a few games ago to move Jess Preusser to the wing, with Anna Walsh in the middle, to have them both play at the same time. They otherwise play the same position in the central midfield. That paid off with Walsh to Sawyer to Preusser for SLU’s first goal, a 2nd 11 goal (Karsen Kohl also gave SLU good defensive midfield minutes) :

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1581705111013052418?s=21&t=ChB1xe_mkoOqzbNfSGsxeQ

SLU’s 2nd goal is indicative of one of the variety of ways that SLU can score, winning aerial duels off of set piece corners often with defenders getting forward, and also getting players in front of the goal:

https://twitter.com/sluwsoccer/status/1581717254630043648?s=21&t=J7I26qB4rr1HYjTy44w3jA

………………..

An additional tactical decision was made to move Bri Halverson to the right side and move Katie Houck to the left side. As mentioned here earlier in the season, Halverson has more effective runs, and combination play on the right side. That again was a factor much of the game.

………………

Credit to Dayton for giving SLU a good game and defending their final 3rd well, especially their final 18. Mackenzie Lutz was very good. 

It’s difficult to keep Gemelli and Huber down an entire game. And Huber was able to get behind the defense (Stram) early on a long ball and beat Puricelli to the top of the box. 10 straight wins for SLU over Dayton and unbeaten against them in their last 12 head to head.

…………………….

The NCAA released its top 12 teams. (SLU was not one of them). The results for the initial list were through October 13th. Since then, 3 of the bottom 5 teams (8-12) lost, and another had a bad draw. Almost all of the initial top 12 teams had a top 12 RPI at the time. The two that didn’t had a 13 and 15 RPI. 10 of the 12 had a top 10 RPI. 

After Sunday’s games, SLU’s RPI is now 12. There are 2 of 12 teams in the NCAA top 12 outside of the top 12 RPI. SLU is going to be better than its NCAA spot in the polls this week. 

…………………

-for many reasons, that is fantastic! way to go Ladies, go get 'em again on Thursday

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

I see that the weekend game against St Joe's is when the Seniors will be honored.  Do any of the posters know if any players listed as Seniors are eligible for a Covid extra year and plan on coming back? 

Yes I do. I will send you a message. 

All 10 of SLU’s 2023 commits were in town last week for team bonding and to take in the Rhode Island game.

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yes I do. I will send you a message. 

All 10 of SLU’s 2023 commits were in town last week for team bonding and to take in the Rhode Island game.

Thanks.  Good to hear about all the 2023 recruits being there for a great game

On 10/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, courtside said:

Why top 12?  I thought that top 16 got to host 1st round NCAA games.  Not that the NCAA usually does things that make sense, but wouldn't it make more sense for NCAA to release top 16?

Not the way the NCAA is doing things:

Selection Process
The championship provides for a field of 64 teams. Thirty-one conference champions qualify automatically; the balance of the field is selected at-large by the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Committee.

Selection Show | Monday, November 7, 2022
The 2022 NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship bracket will be announced the Monday prior to the first-round of competition. 

First Round | November 11 - 13. 2022
Thirty-two single-elimination first-round games will be conducted at non-predetermined campus sites. The winning team from each game will advance to the second round.

Second and Third Rounds | November 18 and 20, 2022
Second and third rounds will be conducted at eight non-predetermined campus sites. At each campus site, four teams will compete in a single-elimination second-round competition. The two winning teams will then compete against each other in a single-elimination third-round competition at the same campus site. The winning team from each of the eight third rounds advanced to the quarterfinals.

Quarterfinals | November 25 - 26, 2022
Four single-elimination quarterfinals games will be conducted at non-predetermined campus sites. The winning team from each of the four quarterfinals will advance to the championship final site.

Women's College Cup | December 2 and 5, 2022
The 2022 NCAA Division I Women's College Cup will be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina. Two single-elimination semifinal games will be held on December 2, 2022. The two teams winning in the semifinals will advance and compete in the single-elimination national championship game, which will take place on Monday, December 5, 2022.

So, if SLU is one of the top 32 teams, they host a first round NCAA game.

To host the next 2 rounds, they would have to be one of the top 8 teams. That’s why the NCAA is only releasing the top 12.