Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
papal

all- time east side Billikens

Recommended Posts

After reading about Kevin Lisch retirement started thinking about best Billikens from east side.  4 come to mind immediately:  Goodwin, Lisch, Clagget, Liddell.  I am not sure if Leuchtefelds qualify (Okawville is pretty close to east side). I think Joe Wiley would make the fifth. Take your pick as the best of the five-all were talented and different types of players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether Okawville qualifies or not it doesn't matter.  No one from there is anywhere close to Joe Wiley, who is all over the Billikens record book.  A HOF Billiken, who like Lisch, was even more successful after graduating,  a bank VP.

Like Claggs, Joe continues to come around and support the program.  A CLASS guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing the same exercise for the Metro (non-east side).  could be interesting (with at least 2 yrs as a Bill). 

Bonner, Gray, Douglass, Rogers, Easy Ed and I'm probably forgetting someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bauman said:

Whether Okawville qualifies or not it doesn't matter.  No one from there is anywhere close to Joe Wiley, who is all over the Billikens record book.  A HOF Billiken, who like Lisch, was even more successful after graduating,  a bank VP.

Like Claggs, Joe continues to come around and support the program.  A CLASS guy.

joe wiley was an executive for monsanto.   he now has his own business consulting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Wiley is a great role model for any Billiken player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  The Leuchtefelds were not in Joe Wiley's class (as a basketball player).  As successful as Wiley has been in business, Stan ( I believe) was a state senator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, papal said:

I agree.  The Leuchtefelds were not in Joe Wiley's class (as a basketball player).  As successful as Wiley has been in business, Stan ( I believe) was a state senator?

Leuchtefelds should probably be considered the First Family of Billiken Athletics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, papal said:

I agree.  The Leuchtefelds were not in Joe Wiley's class (as a basketball player).  As successful as Wiley has been in business, Stan ( I believe) was a state senator?

 

16 minutes ago, papal said:

 

Joe was the Ill. State Senator. not Stan.  I think Joe was the father of 2 or 3 Billiken BB players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the eastsiders: Goodwin is the best I've seen along with KL;  & TJ Hargrove may be the next one -- he is going to be good, and he's got a terrific attitude.  I liked Liddell and felt like he would be a great player but for whatever reasons, I ended up feeling like his career was a bit of a disappointment.  Many of us had really high expectations for Tommie, but life is challenging, and sadly the exaggerated expectations did not pan out like I hoped. Sorry to say this out loud,  & just being honest; but he is not in the vicinity of the JG & KL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

joe wiley was an executive for monsanto.   he now has his own business consulting.

I seem to remember that Joe was also a Bank VP at one point., but you probably have better info on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

As for the eastsiders: Goodwin is the best I've seen along with KL;  & TJ Hargrove may be the next one -- he is going to be good, and he's got a terrific attitude.  I liked Liddell and felt like he would be a great player but for whatever reasons, I ended up feeling like his career was a bit of a disappointment.  Many of us had really high expectations for Tommie, but life is challenging, and sadly the exaggerated expectations did not pan out like I hoped. Sorry to say this out loud,  & just being honest; but he is not in the vicinity of the JG & KL.

The reason Tommie’s career feels like a bit of a disappointment is because he did not vibe with Majerus. Whether that was personality, scheme, or both, I’m not sure. But Tommie was undoubtedly on track to being an all-time Billiken before the coaching change. In his first season, he was the A-10 rookie of the year and a freshman all-American. In his second season he averaged 15.4 and 6.8, while shooting 45% from 3 and 47% overall (probably the best scoring season by a Billiken in the last 15 years). He trailed off noticeably in his last two years, which is a huge shame. It feels to me as though the disappointment in how his career ended now overshadows two seasons in which he was really good, even better than Lisch was during those years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papal said:

I agree.  The Leuchtefelds were not in Joe Wiley's class (as a basketball player).  As successful as Wiley has been in business, Stan ( I believe) was a state senator?

Dave Luck was the senator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donell Reid went to Beaumont.  He was a heck of a rebounder.  Don't think he was from east side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NH said:

The reason Tommie’s career feels like a bit of a disappointment is because he did not vibe with Majerus. Whether that was personality, scheme, or both, I’m not sure. But Tommie was undoubtedly on track to being an all-time Billiken before the coaching change. In his first season, he was the A-10 rookie of the year and a freshman all-American. In his second season he averaged 15.4 and 6.8, while shooting 45% from 3 and 47% overall (probably the best scoring season by a Billiken in the last 15 years). He trailed off noticeably in his last two years, which is a huge shame. It feels to me as though the disappointment in how his career ended now overshadows two seasons in which he was really good, even better than Lisch was during those years.

Agree with all of this.  Tommie was a monster as a sophomore.  He was almost as good as Javonte Perkins offensively, but rebounded, passed and handled the ball better.  If Ford would have been coach the last two years, Tommie would have been the most statistically dominant Billiken since Bonner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today Mr. Wiley ranks 13th in points and 9th in rebounds.  And he did this is three seasons.  Freshmen weren't eligible in his days. If you extrapolate his numbers out to four years, he could have been  top 5 in scoring and rebounds.  He is in the conversation for BEST EVER from the east side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claggett's numbers are impressive: 2nd in points (1910);  .412 3-point field goal %; 295 3-pointers; 347 assists; 145 steals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Donell Reid was a banker. 

Correct, he went to Beaumont, which used to be an excellent sports school, including a couple of major league players.  I think they also won the coveted American Legion National Championship representing Thomann-Booth Chapter.  American Legion baseball back then was like AAU basketball is today as far as quality of play.

I think Bob Miller (Cards pitcher), Roy Sievers (Browns great ) and Earl Weaver (Baltimore manager) all went there as did Ken Iman, All-Pro NFL Center, and I'm sure there are more.

Edit:  this was meant to reply to papal.  Also the correct name of the Amer. Leg. Post was Fred Stockham Post, not Thomann-Booth

Edited by bauman
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bauman said:

I seem to remember that Joe was also a Bank VP at one point., but you probably have better info on him.

You may be thinking of his wife who was a vp at Bankamerica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Today Mr. Wiley ranks 13th in points and 9th in rebounds.  And he did this is three seasons.  Freshmen weren't eligible in his days. If you extrapolate his numbers out to four years, he could have been  top 5 in scoring and rebounds.  He is in the conversation for BEST EVER from the east side.

NTM way before 3 point era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, almaman said:

NTM way before 3 point era.

I think recency bias kind of kills anyone pre-Bonner era, outide of a Macauley who had to be a HOFer and NPOY to get mentioned in with guys like Bonner, Claggs, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, almaman said:

NTM way before 3 point era.

The biggest knock against Wiley is that 2 of the 3 years he played, the Bills finished well below .500.  Claggett's stats + mulitple tournament appearances make him the best East Side Billiken by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bauman said:

Correct, he went to Beaumont, which used to be an excellent sports school, including a couple of major league players.  I think they also won the coveted American Legion National Championship representing Thomann-Booth Chapter.  American Legion baseball back then was like AAU basketball is today as far as quality of play.

I think Bob Miller (Cards pitcher), Roy Sievers (Browns great ) and Earl Weaver (Baltimore manager) all went there as did Ken Iman, All-Pro NFL Center, and I'm sure there are more.

Edit:  this was meant to reply to papal.  Also the correct name of the Amer. Leg. Post was Fred Stockham Post, not Thomann-Booth

Beaumont actually had 14 guys go on to play MLB, plus about 5 guys go to the NFL (including Mizzou's Joe Moore, an absolute stud of a running back).  At one time Beaumont had the most students play in the Major Leagues than any other high school.  Besides feeding Stockham Post 245 with most of the players on the 1956 national championship team, Beaumont also won 2 state baseball championships.  No, I did not go to Beaumont (I went to the old McBride H.S.), but coach Ray Elliott was a legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best east sider ever in Billiken history is Brett Thompson. If I recall correctly his mom got on the board and went off on everybody & that’s priceless, so he earns my vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...