Jump to content

Coaching Carousel


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Some big jobs open this off season 

Texas,  OU, Indiana,  Arizona, UNC, Cincy, Fordham

Texas, OU, UNC, IU, Fordham, and Marquette all filled. AZ, UC, and TX Tech remain open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Texas, OU, UNC, IU, Fordham, and Marquette all filled. AZ, UC, and TX Tech remain open. 

Yeah I wrote it in haste forgot Marquette and TTU.  Fordham was/is a joke. Though maybe the right coach could have Manhattan Jaspers level success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Seems like they were rolling along pretty well not too long ago - maybe 4-5 years? - with top 25 teams in both football and basketball. 

 

Just looking at it more closely. They finished 24th, 21st, and 8th in football the last 3 years. They won the American in basketball two seasons ago and finished 22nd in the country the year before that. What's the problem? 

UCLA hired away Mick Cronin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Compton said:

Seems like they were rolling along pretty well not too long ago - maybe 4-5 years? - with top 25 teams in both football and basketball. 

 

Just looking at it more closely. They finished 24th, 21st, and 8th in football the last 3 years. They won the American in basketball two seasons ago and finished 22nd in the country the year before that. What's the problem? 

The current Athletic Director hasn't spoken to the Football or Basketball coach for weeks.  He made both the hires and hates them.  Cause for concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

The current Athletic Director hasn't spoken to the Football or Basketball coach for weeks.  He made both the hires and hates them.  Cause for concern.

Apparently 6 of the Cincy basketball players didn't like their head coach either and all went into the transfer portal triggering an investigation despite no allegations of abuse or a rules violation...  Article says they won their championship last year with a 20-10 before this year's disaster season...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what did or did not happen at UC. A few of the well mentioned things are 3.5 hour practices multiple times where medical staff had to intervene to stop practice,  speaking negatively about some players behind their backs to other players. Those types of things. There were some players supportive of thr coach, many left. Brannen was successful elsewhere, and, he hadn't been at UC all that long yet.

Others will mention that UC thinks it made a bad hire and this is their way of removing themselves from that. 

Mick Cronin did well at UC. The thing he didn't do was win a lot in the NCAA's, 2nd weekends etc...And of course he took UCLA to the Final Four this year.

Some names that will get mentioned, are long time Cronin assistant Darren Savino, (he was passed over last time), Dennis Gates, Frank Martin, Archie Miller, Scott Nagy, Richie Riley, others.

It's often not good when the AD gets as much or more attention than the higher profile coaches at any school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, courtside said:

It appears Justin Gainey may be headed to Xavier as an assistant. He has a long term connection to Sean Miller, having played at N.C. State for Herb Sendek when Miller was an assistant. And, he was an assistant at Arizona prior to Marquette.

Texas is hiring KU assistant Jerrance Howard. Joining Terry, Maligi, Ogden. 

Moser hired Texas assistant KT Turner last week.

Now it appears Justin Gainey may be going to Tennessee as an assistant. He is linked to top 50 big man (and former Marquette commit) Jonas Aidoo. (Durham, NC)

Rick Barnes is a North Carolina native. (Gainey’s connection to Aidoo is North Carolina geography as he is from Greensboro, and he played and coached at NC State.) We’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, courtside said:

Now it appears Justin Gainey may be going to Tennessee as an assistant. He is linked to top 50 big man (and former Marquette commit) Jonas Aidoo. (Durham, NC)

Rick Barnes is a North Carolina native. (Gainey’s connection to Aidoo is North Carolina geography as he is from Greensboro, and he played and coached at NC State.) We’ll see.

Gainey has officially been hired by Tennessee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like the old Michael Beasley/Michael Porter rule is alive and well —— hire the coach/mentor/father get the kid.  Didn’t turn out so well for Umass and Bergeron.  We’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Abilene Christian HC Golding hired away by UTEP.  Texas had previously hired UTEP HC (who was under .500) to be an assistant.   I think this is a great hire.  UTEP is a nice campus and has a National Championship.   Back when I was a kid in El Paso,  I ran into Don Haskins volunteering at a charity golf event.   Dude was revered in El Paso. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, courtside said:

I don't know what did or did not happen at UC. A few of the well mentioned things are 3.5 hour practices multiple times where medical staff had to intervene to stop practice,  speaking negatively about some players behind their backs to other players. Those types of things. There were some players supportive of thr coach, many left. Brannen was successful elsewhere, and, he hadn't been at UC all that long yet.

Others will mention that UC thinks it made a bad hire and this is their way of removing themselves from that. 

Mick Cronin did well at UC. The thing he didn't do was win a lot in the NCAA's, 2nd weekends etc...And of course he took UCLA to the Final Four this year.

Some names that will get mentioned, are long time Cronin assistant Darren Savino, (he was passed over last time), Dennis Gates, Frank Martin, Archie Miller, Scott Nagy, Richie Riley, others.

It's often not good when the AD gets as much or more attention than the higher profile coaches at any school.

UNCG’s Wes Miller hired at UC. Only 38, but has 10 years experience as a head coach at the G. Had five 20-win seasons at a school about as low profile as there is. He clearly did a terrific job there but, having sat behind the G bench at some home games over the years, I can tell you he’s a maniac on the sidelines. I guess it’s OK but I felt almost embarrassed for him with the tantrums he would throw at the refs about essentially nothing.

Hoping the G will hire ETSU’s coach who was wrongly dismissed after only one year. That would be an in your face hire if I’ve ever seen one. Those fools at ETSU have trashed their program for at least a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

UNCG’s Wes Miller hired at UC. Only 38, but has 10 years experience as a head coach at the G. Had five 20-win seasons at a school about as low profile as there is. He clearly did a terrific job there but, having sat behind the G bench at some home games over the years, I can tell you he’s a maniac on the sidelines. I guess it’s OK but I felt almost embarrassed for him with the tantrums he would throw at the refs about essentially nothing.

Hoping the G will hire ETSU’s coach who was wrongly dismissed after only one year. That would be an in your face hire if I’ve ever seen one. Those fools at ETSU have trashed their program for at least a few years.

The Wes Miller hire at UC is interesting.  I have to imagine if he's successful there that UNC will come after him either when Hubert Davis retires or if Hubert Davis doesn't have a lot of success and is pushed aside.  Could very well be a good hire for UC, but kind of sucks for Cincy fans that you know ahead of time if your coach is super successful he'll be leaving you behind before long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

UNCG’s Wes Miller hired at UC. Only 38, but has 10 years experience as a head coach at the G. Had five 20-win seasons at a school about as low profile as there is. He clearly did a terrific job there but, having sat behind the G bench at some home games over the years, I can tell you he’s a maniac on the sidelines. I guess it’s OK but I felt almost embarrassed for him with the tantrums he would throw at the refs about essentially nothing.

Hoping the G will hire ETSU’s coach who was wrongly dismissed after only one year. That would be an in your face hire if I’ve ever seen one. Those fools at ETSU have trashed their program for at least a few years.

I was just having a conversation with someone about this hire. My first reaction is good hire, theirs was bad hire. We'll see. It may or may not work out, byt I think it is worth a try. Miller isn't the only future UNC candidate, so it may not ever be a future possibility for him. 

Miller clearly waited for the UNC position. He didn't get it, so he wisely is leaving to elevate his profile as well as the perks that go with that. UC is a good basketball job. 

Mick Cronin did well there except one thing, albeit an important thing. Cronin didn't mix in deeper NCAA Tourney runs with his annual consistent success there. (And that matters)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@courtside ---- interesting that Arizona hired Lloyd despite him having a written agreement to take over for Few at Gonzaga.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@courtside ---- interesting that Arizona hired Lloyd despite him having a written agreement to take over for Few at Gonzaga.  

Eh, Few is only 58.  He could be there another 10 years.  That's a long time to wait for something that you can get today.  

My memory tells me that Mike Hopkins was due to take over for Boeheim at  Syracuse.  Boeheim is still there, Hopkins is at University of Washington as HC.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@courtside ---- interesting that Arizona hired Lloyd despite him having a written agreement to take over for Few at Gonzaga.  

If Lloyd is successful at Arizona, there is a reasonable chance that he wouldn't leave for Gonzaga if/when it opened. It's also possible there could be other candidates there (Gonzaga) in the future when that time comes. And if Lloyd did leave, are you that much worse off than before?

Few, as mentioned, is 58 and, he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to retire to his fly fishing. Not winning a National Title yet could also be an additional motivator.

Arizona has some things going for itself, one being a basketball friendly school in a Power 5 League. 

There is always a risk that Lloyd would leave to go there. But at some point you have to say we want and need to win now. Watching all of those other Pac 12 teams have a strong NCAA (which was good for their league) can be motivating.

I like the Lloyd hire for UA. Guys like Musselman etc...were never serious candidates, as they were only leveraging a raise and extension. Where does that leave you? Stay in the Arizona family or try to hire the best coach you can in or outside of that.

Also, Arizona AD David Heeke, spent 18 years at Oregon. Mark Few is an Oregon alum. Lloyd is from the Washington/Oregon border area. He was a part of two Head Basketball Coaching searches there. Heeke definitely understands the situation well to make the decision. My understanding is that Lloyd was their first choice all along, but it just took a while to get it done. We'll see. Again, it may or may not work out, but I believe it's worth a try. Lloyd gas a very strong reputation. Heeke's Women's hoops hire haa certainly been a Home Run with Adia Barnes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...