All A-10

MY PICKS...

First Team: Toppin, Crutcher, Mitchell, Gudmundsson (top 10 in rebounding, scoring and assists; sorry Fatts!), and J-GOOD (3rd in reb, steals; 9th in scoring, 14th in assists)

Second Team: Fatts, Ryan Daly, Hughes, Gilyard, and HASAHN FRENCH (2nd in blocks, 1st in rebounds, lock for 1st team All Defense

Third Team: Grady, Carry, Lofton, Golden, and JAVONTE PERKINS (top 15 in FG, FT, and 3PT%) 

Rookie: Battle, Hyland, Collins.... 

Questions: will Javonte get passed over because people don't think 3 Bills deserve it? Will Santos-Silva get grandfathered in? Can't think of a worthy Dayton 3rd fiddle

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

MY PICKS...

First Team: Toppin, Crutcher, Mitchell, Gudmundsson (top 10 in rebounding, scoring and assists; sorry Fatts!), and J-GOOD (3rd in reb, steals; 9th in scoring, 14th in assists)

Second Team: Fatts, Ryan Daly, Hughes, Gilyard, and HASAHN FRENCH (2nd in blocks, 1st in rebounds, lock for 1st team All Defense

Third Team: Grady, Carry, Lofton, Golden, and JAVONTE PERKINS (top 15 in FG, FT, and 3PT%) 

Questions: will Javonte get passed over because people don't think 3 Bills deserve it? Will Santos-Silva get grandfathered in? Can't think of a worthy Dayton 3rd fiddle

Solid list but Fatts will be 1st Team.. I just hope they swap out Crutcher instead of JGood

ARon likes this

image.thumb.png.5609d3138fe77e56d7533e8d7fbd9dc2.png

Perkins shot 22.5% from beyond the arc vs D1 non-conf opponents vs 41.2% in A10 play.

Even more remarkable since in his first 5 A10 games he shot 2 for 18 (11.1%) from 3

Over Perkins last 13 games, he's shooting 52% from 3 and his FG% + 3P% + FT% = 1.814

image.thumb.png.931d876a98a2a94ee8f3bf948e774577.png

Zink likes this

From a Duquesne perspective, I am not sure why you guys are favoring Hughes over Weathers.

The only thing Hughes has over Weathers is his shot-blocking ability. Weathers is better overall as a player.

Also, Carry should be second team, not third team. He is the Dukes' MVP in my opinion.

The Dukes deserve 2 guys among the 3 All-A-10 teams so I would go with Carry second team.  Weathers third team. 

Hughes is also a bit of a head case who gets into foul trouble too easily so he should only get hon. mention if there is such a thing.

Also, Rhodey's Russell should be a lock for first team.

There is less than a 0% chance that 3 SLU players show up on all conference teams and 2 Dayton players do. Trey Landers will end up on 3rd team...i’d take Carry off for him. I wouldn’t be shocked to see French or Perkins not make a team...especially since French will be all-defensive team and Perkins will be 6th MOY. Only 15 spots in total. Hard to give 20% of them to the 4th place squad.

FWIW, there’s no specific guidelines for whether to only include A10 games or all season. 

I dont get the over the top love for Russell.  Imo the only head and shoulders point guard in the A10 is Crutcher.   There are a bunch "next tier" which includes russell.   

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

MY PICKS...

Perkins has 6th Man locked up. 

Rookie of the Year will be Mitchell. 

COY will be Grant.

Defensive Player of the Year could be French, could be Goodwin, could be Langevine, could be Gilyard, could be Russell, could be Hughes, could be Wilson, could be a few others.....

And BTW, I would have Richmond's Francis on one of my All Conference teams. 

Here is last year's list, just to refresh your memory on what awards are given out. 

https://atlantic10.com/news/2019/3/12/211795159.aspx

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I dont get the over the top love for Russell.  Imo the only head and shoulders point guard in the A10 is Crutcher.   There are a bunch "next tier" which includes russell.   

Russell carried that team offensively and defensively for almost 90% of the season.  It's only the past 5 games that he's faltered offensively.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Russell carried that team offensively and defensively for almost 90% of the season.  It's only the past 5 games that he's faltered offensively.

Being SECOND IN THE NATION in steals is a pretty good resume stuffer too.  (He is behind Gilyard....two A10's top the nation in steals.  And for good measure, Goodwin ins 28th in the nation.)

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

But he's not the talent of Crutcher. 

Hes no better than gundmunssin, gilyard, lofton or our own collins imo. 

Sure he might mean the world to Rhode Island, but in the A10 world, he doesn't deserve 1st team imo  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

But he's not the talent of Crutcher. 

Hes no better than gundmunssin, gilyard, lofton or our own collins imo. 

Sure he might mean the world to Rhode Island, but in the A10 world, he doesn't deserve 1st team imo  

Carrying a team to a top 3 seed and having the stats to back it up is the very definition of being a first teamer.  

In the Twitterverse, SLU has no first team selections...which is a slap in the face to Jordan Goodwin (2nd team). Perkins for 6M and French All-Defense. French has shown up as 3rd team as well as JP.

2nd team for Jordan Goodwin would be an insult of the highest order. 

A10 Guards that were top 10 in scoring.   Listed ppg/rpg/apg/spg  the number in ( A10 rank) 

JGood                     15.5 (7th)/10.4 (2nd)/3.1 (15th)/2.06 (3rd)                      JGood in the 4 main stats 7th, 2nd, 15th, 3rd. 

Crutcher                  15.1 (8th)/3.2 (55th)/4.9 (7th)/.86 (46th)                       Crutcher  "       "              "    8th, 55th, 7th, 46th

Gudmundson         14.5 (10th)/7.1 (10th)/4.3 (10th)/1.20 (18th)                 Gudmu   "             "       "      10th, 10th, 10th, 18th   

Fatts                        18.8 (3rd)/3.4 (49th)/5.2 (8th)/2.87 (3rd)                       Fatts     "          "          "         3rd, 49th, 8th, 3rd

Daly                         20.4 (1st)/6.9 (14th)/4.3 (9th)/1.21 (17th)                    Daly      "        "              "         1st, 14th, 9th, 17th

Francis                    17.7 (4th)/2.2 (87th)/2.0 (30th)/1.12 (23rd)                Francis    "        "           "         4th, 87th, 30th, 23rd

Grady                       17.2 (6th)/4.2 35th)/2.5 (18th)/1.17 (18th)                   Grady    "       "              "       6th, 35th, 18th, 18th

IMO first A10 guard id JGood due to his all around stats and elite level in 1 category. He's 23rd in the country the next player 6'5" or under is 50th. He's also 19th in the country with 15 double/doubles. The next closes are Langevine and Silva tied for 68th w/10 ea and they are Forwards. JGood should be close to Obi for A10 player of the year. Imo he's a clear 2nd choice and a case could be made for 1st

My 2nd would be between Gudmundson (all around good / Fatts (top 3 in 2 cat's plus an 8th) / Daly leads A10 guards in scoring

Probably in this order Fatts, Gudmundson, Daly

15 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

MY PICKS...

I’d swap Gudmundsson and Russell.

But i suspect the voters will swap J-Good and Russell.

21 hours ago, Duff Man said:

... Over Perkins last 13 games, he's shooting 52% from 3 and his FG% + 3P% + FT% = 1.814

image.thumb.png.931d876a98a2a94ee8f3bf948e774577.png

slu72, it turns out that, aside from meeting Rammer and Earl, there was one other highlight to attending the Davidson game. We were there for Perkins' coming out party. He went from an unknown quantity as a D-1 player to a future pro making bank, and it started on 1-22-20. Pretty cool.

slu72 likes this

21 hours ago, An A-10 fan said:

From a Duquesne perspective, I am not sure why you guys are favoring Hughes over Weathers.

The only thing Hughes has over Weathers is his shot-blocking ability. Weathers is better overall as a player.

Also, Carry should be second team, not third team. He is the Dukes' MVP in my opinion.

The Dukes deserve 2 guys among the 3 All-A-10 teams so I would go with Carry second team.  Weathers third team. 

Hughes is also a bit of a head case who gets into foul trouble too easily so he should only get hon. mention if there is such a thing.

Also, Rhodey's Russell should be a lock for first team.

Hughes instead of Weathers was just a brain fart. I meant Weathers. That dude eviscerated us. Thanks for reading. 

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I make my evaluation 100% on conference play (I know the actual committee isn't bound by that, but to me it's silly). Gudmundson has been way better in conference, and when URI was 10-1, there was reason to reward Fatts with 1st team, but the Rams crapped the bed 2x against Dayton, and also against SLU, and Fatts was not good in those games. Not by a long shot.