Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

ACE

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

NYC’s a whole lot closer to MA than the far off places he listed. His excuse is BS. 

For what it's worth, we have no clue whether that's "his excuse". There was simply a tweet speculating that schools have been in his ear telling him he could get a waiver because of COVID-19. We have no reason to believe he ever told anyone he wanted to transfer because of Coronavirus, or because he wanted to be closer to him. Unfair to vilify him for that aspect, IMO

And @slu72, this is not meant to be directed solely at you but this part of the discussion more broadly. Apologies if that came across as personal.

I won't speak for slu72 but I understand your comment NH.  Schools pulling this shite ought to get sanctions for their efforts but we all know the NCAA is just a joke on enforcement all around.  And as I say that, I know there will be others who will comment that the NCAA is making millions off these poor, underpaid kids and that's criminal too.  Yet room and board and books gets ignored.  But they can't get a decent stipend to take their girls out on dates.  I  know, I know, the whole thing needs reworking from top to bottom so spare me all the moans an groans.  I get it.  But this "transfer due to COVID-19" crap I want so see.  Juzang went home to LA.  Call me placated.  Figueroa going anywhere other than Northeast of hsi current location is pure garbage.  Unless, of course, he has a sick grandma in Texas and he's related to Mickey Pearson.

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I won't speak for slu72 but I understand your comment NH.  Schools pulling this shite ought to get sanctions for their efforts but we all know the NCAA is just a joke on enforcement all around.  And as I say that, I know there will be others who will comment that the NCAA is making millions off these poor, underpaid kids and that's criminal too.  Yet room and board and books gets ignored.  But they can't get a decent stipend to take their girls out on dates.  I  know, I know, the whole thing needs reworking from top to bottom so spare me all the moans an groans.  I get it.  But this "transfer due to COVID-19" crap I want so see.  Juzang went home to LA.  Call me placated.  Figueroa going anywhere other than Northeast of hsi current location is pure garbage.  Unless, of course, he has a sick grandma in Texas and he's related to Mickey Pearson.

I see where you're coming from and I respect that viewpoint. Obviously we disagree certain aspects of transferring and NCAA compensation, but I respect your view on that too.

My only point here is that I don't think it's fair to judge the Figueroa kid since we don't actually know why he's transferring or the reason's he's given to his coaches about doing so. Just because some blogger said schools are telling him he could get a COVID-19 waiver doesn't mean that is what he is actually doing or why he is leaving. Anderson wasn't the coach when he originally went to St. Johns, so it could be as simple as wanting to pick a coach/system that is a better fit.

22 minutes ago, NH said:

My only point here is that I don't think it's fair to judge the Figueroa kid since we don't actually know why he's transferring or the reason's he's given to his coaches about doing so. Just because some blogger said schools are telling him he could get a COVID-19 waiver doesn't mean that is what he is actually doing or why he is leaving. Anderson wasn't the coach when he originally went to St. Johns, so it could be as simple as wanting to pick a coach/system that is a better fit.

Regardless of what Figueroa has said or not said, personally I have ZERO problem with anyone using COVID 19 as a waiver-reason to get the heck out of NYC.

doowop and brianstl like this

Well ..... thank you for that perspective.  I never thought of 'Escape from New York' but there is some sense there.  Of course, that would shut down college basketball for all of NYC if everyone is going to think that way.  Maybe guys could transfer every week or month if hotspots pop up here and there around the country.

10 hours ago, Littlebill said:

@Box and Won so who should we cut to bring this guy in?

1 hour ago, mdscott24 said:

No one.Let him go where he goes and we'll be fine.

I think @Littlebill’s post was blue font post because @Box and Won has a thing for players with great names. Lol.

Box and Won likes this

2 hours ago, mdscott24 said:

No one.Let him go where he goes and we'll be fine.

Just having fun with the name Box and other posters like myself have some fun with it.

I wanted Kofi Cockburn though they pronounce it Co-burn I am not buying it.

Reinert310 and Box and Won like this

I just. 

I can't handle this.

The stars have aligned and cosmic forces have given us an unprecedented THIRD opportunity to get Justyn Mutts.  And for TWO years!

But it happens in the one freaking year in which we have a fully stacked roster.

Oh, cruel fate.

If he ends up in the A10, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I just. 

I can't handle this.

The stars have aligned and cosmic forces have given us an unprecedented THIRD opportunity to get Justyn Mutts.  And for TWO years!

But it happens in the one freaking year in which we have a fully stacked roster.

Oh, cruel fate.

If he ends up in the A10, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Hang in there with 2 years of eligibility there is time to fulfill your dream of SLU signing da Mutt as a GT.  
After SLU’s final 4 trip Kofi Cockburn understanding his only chance to play in a final 4 is to transfer to SLU my dream will be fulfilled.

6'3 combo guard Jalen Carey transferred from Syracuse to Rhode Island today. He had a thumb injury this past year and is expected to apply for a waiver to play immediately the next three years. He was originally a top 10 rated combo guard in his class out of Harlem. Chose Syracuse over UConn. As a transfer, he chose Rhode Island over Alabama. (Also received interest from four Big East schools.

3 hours ago, courtside said:

6'3 combo guard Jalen Carey transferred from Syracuse to Rhode Island today. He had a thumb injury this past year and is expected to apply for a waiver to play immediately the next three years. He was originally a top 10 rated combo guard in his class out of Harlem. Chose Syracuse over UConn. As a transfer, he chose Rhode Island over Alabama. (Also received interest from four Big East schools.

Carey only played in two games this past season.  He sat out with a thumb injury.  That's five transfers in for Rhode Island, the Mitchell twins (eligible in December), Martin from Charlotte and Betrand from Towson.  

Are the Mitchell twins eligible as you say?  This was asked before.  You need a full year in your school before you are eligible and the Michell twins only declared in April.  So I doubt they were in Kingston in January.  Everyone would have known.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Are the Mitchell twins eligible as you say?  This was asked before.  You need a full year in your school before you are eligible and the Michell twins only declared in April.  So I doubt they were in Kingston in January.  Everyone would have known.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/05/rhode-island-adds-syracuse-transfer-jalen-carey/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rhode-island-adds-syracuse-transfer-jalen-carey

Yes, HP, I read the story ...... but again, as I understand the transfer rule as it currently exists, you have to be ENROLLED in your next institution in order to start the clock on your one-year transfer residency.  The Mitchell twins signed on February 29 and March 3 of 2020, meaning, to me, December is a pipe dream.  Hell, schools started sending kids home due to COIVID at the time they signed, all tournaments were cancelled, and all classes for all intents were shelved.  

I'd also like to see the waiver request Carey files.  He's from Harlem so Kingston ain't no sick grand ma.  He's not going home.  He's had injuries; so too have others including Thatch and Jimmmerson.  Big deal.  And yet the coaching staff "recruited" him to play with Fatts.  Fatts is a senior ----this is it and a no go unless Carey gets this waiver.  That's bullshite, cheating, tampering ---- call it what you want, yes?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Yes, HP, I read the story ...... but again, as I understand the transfer rule as it currently exists, you have to be ENROLLED in your next institution in order to start the clock on your one-year transfer residency.  The Mitchell twins signed on February 29 and March 3 of 2020, meaning, to me, December is a pipe dream.  Hell, schools started sending kids home due to COIVID at the time they signed, all tournaments were cancelled, and all classes for all intents were shelved.  

I suggest you take up this conversation about the Mitchell twins with Adam Zagoria.