• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Jimmmmmerson can shoot.

Some fun dunks.

Really disappointing defensive display tonight. They have a lot to work on.

They were just jogging around for the most part trying not to get hurt. Even in an exhibition you can see that Yuri will be our point guard sometime this season. It's just a matter of time.

2 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Sounded like they said he made one during a replay.

Coach also said we’re going to get up and down and press more this season because we have the bodies to do so. Sounds great but I feel like we hear this from every coach every preseason 

I counted four made threes for GJ. Airballed the first one, last one rimmed out. He's going to be instant offense off the bench.

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Sounded like they said he made one during a replay.

Coach also said we’re going to get up and down and press more this season because we have the bodies to do so. Sounds great but I feel like we hear this from every coach every preseason 

He had at least 3

Jimmmerson must have hit his threes when they were showing replays of other made baskets as I didn't see him make any. Saw KC look very smooth on two long threes though.

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

only negatives:

the dunk contest was lame AF

I Hope Shaft Thatch is ok. 

Add to your negative list the constant music during play, and the overuse of the replays. I would cut the music, can the replays and have a PA guy announcing who scored.

37 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Pretty sure D's not on the program tonite. But if it is we're gonna get killed every game. 

They didn’t try to play defense. On breaks the defenders moved out of the way. I assume they were told to just let the offense do whatever it wants. The only thing I took away besides having fun is Jimerson has a quick release and really can shoot if left open. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

They didn’t try to play defense. On breaks the defenders moved out of the way. I assume they were told to just let the offense do whatever it wants. The only thing I took away besides having fun is Jimerson has a quick release and really can shoot if left open. 

They for sure were. Contesting could be dangerous 

Back home from the Bills madness. Decent crowd, LOTS of students but also families with little kids, very pleasant atmosphere. Very loud, we sat close to the band, could not really hear what Andre was saying when he was behind the band.

Nice stuff: Javon Bess was there, sitting next to  Dr. Chaifetz, Jordair Jett was also there or at least it was someone looking like him. Nice to see them both.

Let's go through the team as they played their little scrimmage, please take into account that there was basically no significant defense on either side. Returning players: French appeared improved since last year. He did take a number of shots from different places and scored. No one was called upon to shoot an FT so  there is no way to say if this has improved. Goodwin played nicely but not as the PG in the scrimmage, he did score a large number of shots both close and far away from the basket. He appeared to be enjoying himself a lot and worked well feeding Hargrove for dunks. Thatch did not do that much but played nicely. Jacobs was incredibly improved from last year, did much better with passes (again no defense, keep in mind) and played the PG role for that team. He scored a good number of points or so it seemed, and looked confident and at ease. Jacobs is not ripped but has visibly bulked up. Hankton played for the opposite side scored a number of baskets I think 2 were from beyond the arc. He seemed confident and looked a LOT beefier than last year.

About the new players. I think SLU72 will be happy to know that the Yurimania designation may be well based upon reality. This kid is small, fast, quirky, with good reflexes and passes. I think he will be a great addition to  the team. Likewise Hargrove (who likes to show off and hot dog or so it seems) was, to me at least, fantastic. He appears to be a great guy to have close to the  basket, he likes to scavenge balls and redirect them into the basket. Very impressive. The third guy that was very impressive was Jimerson, he is indeed a 3 point machine, but  he can also  dunk and play around the basket. I did not notice much from Weaver so I cannot comment about him. Bell can indeed play well close to  the basket and can score. Nothing flashy but he can move fast. As far as Diarra goes, I thought he appeared a bit clumsy at times, and his leg is not fully workable. He can play reasonably well when the need arises. Perkins looked tentative to me, he had nice moves but I think he is still trying to get his footing around D1.

Agree the dunking contest was more a "hot dogging" contest than anything else. I think Hargrove could have won it easily if he had concentrated in getting the score rather than show off.

The last observation I want to make about the team is that they all seem to like to play with the others. It appears to me that the team is developing a good sense of cohesion.

In all it was a very nice time at the Chaifetz. By the way, tonight (and roughly at the same time) the Blues were playing, the Cardinals were playing the Cubs in one of the last games of the season, and Symphony Hall had something or the other going. Driving in took a good amount of time.

These are just my own personal observations, I am not a basketball professional and probably missed a lot they probably saw. I will be happier after I see the team playing against an opposing team that actually engages in serious defense. Finally, the issue about FT shooting is still in the dark. For me, the pleasant surprises were Yuri, Jacobs improvement, and Jimerson's shooting.