We are an NIT team... I hope.

BJK

Started this thread a few weeks back but it got shut down.

I was at the game today with my daughter who is nine and this was the first time she was engaged the whole time. It was a fun game and the crowd was in to it. We had good seats (thanks bills07) and enjoyed the hell out of it. 

Watching JG rip his jersey to shreds and lose his sh*t in the tunnel was rough. He’s a Billiken through and through and I know this kills him. That said we are what we are and that is a team who struggles offensively but fights and doesn’t give up. I look forward to the rest of this season and hope for a good showing in the conference tourney and perhaps a few more home games after that.

go bills!!!

3star_recruit and bills07 like this

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

good post, terrible “thread”

Hoping to discuss our postseason hopes in a more realistic light. This team has shown its cards and I’m looking to see what other posters feel going forward. 

Going in to this season it was NCAA or bust but we haven’t been a tourney team as long as I’ve been watching. My take all along is that as Billikens fans we seem to get hyped when we have a good class or a new coach but being a fan of this team is tough... we all know it. I’m just hoping for good basketball to watch and a

1 hour ago, BJK said:

Hoping to discuss our postseason hopes in a more realistic light. This team has shown its cards and I’m looking to see what other posters feel going forward. 

Going in to this season it was NCAA or bust but we haven’t been a tourney team as long as I’ve been watching. My take all along is that as Billikens fans we seem to get hyped when we have a good class or a new coach but being a fan of this team is tough... we all know it. I’m just hoping for good basketball to watch and a

are you looking for a pat on the back? no one wants to talk about the nit in january

gravilst likes this

Wtf are you talking about. We have multiple topics regarding “our road to the dance.” Half of the comments on anything on this board involve our “chances.” 

We aren’t going to the tourney unless we win the Conf tournament and that ain’t happening with 7-8 players. So where does that leave us?

These are typical posts and threads after losses. SLU had a gut wrenching loss yesterday.   No question.  And, SLU has some small margins of error in certain areas.  But take a breath, and see what happens in the final 11 conference games, being one game out of first place.  SLU most certainly can still make the NCAA tourney.  We’ll see what happens and discuss that stuff then. One game at a time. 

39 minutes ago, BJK said:

Wtf are you talking about. We have multiple topics regarding “our road to the dance.” Half of the comments on anything on this board involve our “chances.” 

We aren’t going to the tourney unless we win the Conf tournament and that ain’t happening with 7-8 players. So where does that leave us?

I'm not giving up on the Big Dance until after the Bills lose their 5th conference game, and even then, I won't be thinking about the NIT until after the A-10 tournament.

An NIT bid may have been a big deal during the Grawer years, but the program has moved beyond that.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think the time has come for Isabell's minutes to be cut.  Let's see if Thatch can develop some offense with more touches. At worst, we'll have two players capable of playing shutdown defense.

I ageee.

im not as down on Isabel as some and I actually think he has been valuable.

The turnovers are maddening but a lot of those seem to be him anticipating a player cutting and that player not doing it.

That said if he is only going to supply 8-10 points we might as well go with the defense.

He had a god stat line yesterday but I think Thatch could have provided the same amount of rebounds, almost the same amount of points, and better defense.

I think if Thatch is capable o 6or 8 a game his defense makes it a positive over Isabel.

At this point the offense can’t be fixed so we might as well double down on defense.

Have to agree with courtside, I had a rough day, yesterday.  With hearing upon the SLU loss, it was sad. The strenuous pressure you have on you while jogging up the court and back is very hard. I mean that's why basketball is a physical game, on the floor, and internally.  Though to put the title of the topic to an extent, doesn't really help to bear the loss. 

57 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I ageee.

im not as down on Isabel as some and I actually think he has been valuable.

The turnovers are maddening but a lot of those seem to be him anticipating a player cutting and that player not doing it.

That said if he is only going to supply 8-10 points we might as well go with the defense.

He had a god stat line yesterday but I think Thatch could have provided the same amount of rebounds, almost the same amount of points, and better defense.

I think if Thatch is capable o 6or 8 a game his defense makes it a positive over Isabel.

At this point the offense can’t be fixed so we might as well double down on defense.

We need them both. Ford is trying to get this team ready for a run in the conference tournament. We have to get Isabell to mesh with the team. He has talent. We need that talent. Let it play out and see how he developes. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think the time has come for Isabell's minutes to be cut.  Let's see if Thatch can develop some offense with more touches. At worst, we'll have two players capable of playing shutdown defense.

This would work if Thatch could develop a consistent 3 pt shot.  I know Isabell is not great at it but he hits enough to make him dangerous.  Can Fred do that - I don't know.  I agree Isabell's defense was terrible yesterday.

32 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

We need them both. Ford is trying to get this team ready for a run in the conference tournament. We have to get Isabell to mesh with the team. He has talent. We need that talent. Let it play out and see how he developes. 

I agree we need him.

I just think he can give us his same offensive out put in half the time. 

Isabell seems to score in bunches. He will hit a couple theees or nice drives in just a few positions, then he goes quite. 

If we can get his 8-10 points in 15-20 minute and use Thatch’s D the rest of the time it’s a win win.

3star_recruit likes this

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This would work if Thatch could develop a consistent 3 pt shot.  I know Isabell is not great at it but he hits enough to make him dangerous.  Can Fred do that - I don't know.  I agree Isabell's defense was terrible yesterday.

If that's the argument, Fred needs to start now. Thatch is shooting 27% from 3. Isabell is shooting 26%.

VeniceMenace likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

If that's the argument, Fred needs to start now. Thatch is shooting 27% from 3. Isabell is shooting 26%.

I understand but Fred is not as willing to shoot the 3 as Isabell.  Yes I know Fred hit the one at the end of the first half and I am not saying you are completely wrong just that is Fred really the guy you want for offense for 20 minutes a game - I just don't know.

I think I’d actually start wiley in Isabell’s place. The defensive trade off would be negligible at worst and we would have a shooter in to keep teams honest (or pay the price if they double French). 

Also, if fully healthy, KC should start getting more of DJ’s minutes.  

I believe this would best prep us for the conf tourney while not blowing everything up for the next 10 or so games.

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As you say, Thatch is 27.0%, Isabell 26.3%.

Goodwin is at 26.4%, Hankton is also 26.3%.  So throw a blanket over all four as far as shooting behind the arc.

Not what we thought we would get and not what we need.

49 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

No excuse for missing two free throws. Doubt NIT or any other tourney. This team struggles way too much on offense.

Everyone on this team, that has played, has missed two freethrows including Bess. They are one game out of first.