Mike Lewis Transferring out of Duquesne......

Taj79

.... per verbal Commits.  I'd like to point out I first questioned Lewis' lack of production and playing time back in the 'A10 Composite' thread in early November, coming back again with the same question on November 26.  This was a guy ranked about 14th in the A10 own listing of 'Top 25' players this preseason.  He is from Chaminade I believe.  In any case, it is apparent he did not mesh with Dambrot bringing in his crop of transfers to Duquesne this year.  Only he and Eric Williams Jr. remained after last season.  An A10 All-Rookie selection after his freshman year to boot.  

Does the A10 require a two-year sit-out for kids transferring within conference?  I know some conferences do......

53 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

.... per verbal Commits.  I'd like to point out I first questioned Lewis' lack of production and playing time back in the 'A10 Composite' thread in early November, coming back again with the same question on November 26.  This was a guy ranked about 14th in the A10 own listing of 'Top 25' players this preseason.  He is from Chaminade I believe.  In any case, it is apparent he did not mesh with Dambrot bringing in his crop of transfers to Duquesne this year.  Only he and Eric Williams Jr. remained after last season.  An A10 All-Rookie selection after his freshman year to boot.  

Does the A10 require a two-year sit-out for kids transferring within conference?  I know some conferences do......

A10 intraconference transfers can't compete for 2 years. SLU may request an appeal to all the other A10 school's ADs, but I dont know if all or a certain % of the ADs have to ok the appeal.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Junior mid-season transfer. He'd presumably have 1.5 years of eligibility left, beginning at the semester break next season.

Don’t mid-season transfers lose that entire year of eligibility? Meaning he’ll only have 1 year of eligibility after sitting for the next 1.5 years. Or he could play the second half of next year and that would count as his senior year.

Transfer rules seem to change by the week nowadays so who knows if that’s true anymore.

gobillsgo likes this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Don’t mid-season transfers lose that entire year of eligibility? Meaning he’ll only have 1 year of eligibility after sitting for the next 1.5 years. Or he could play the second half of next year and that would count as his senior year.

Transfer rules seem to change by the week nowadays so who knows if that’s true anymore.

he transferred before 2nd semester started.  So he has 1.5 left.  Had he waited a month from now, he would have just 1 year.

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

he transferred before 2nd semester started.  So he has 1.5 left.  Had he waited a month from now, he would have just 1 year.

This doesn't ring quite true.

Eligibility does not go by semesters.  It goes by year.

If he's a junior now, he'll be a senior at his destination after sitting out two semesters (unless he drops below Div. 1).

28 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It may have changed recently, but that's not how it used to be. It used to be if you play any part of a season you lose that entire year of eligibility. There is no concept of splitting up the season into halves. The benefit of transferring at semester was that it allows you to start again one year from now, but if you choose to do that you use the full year by playing in the second semester.

Think of what was going to happen with Ty Graves if not for S2. He played a few games at BC his freshman year, transferred mid-season to SLU and would have had a choice in the middle of last year. Had he decided to play, he would have been classified as a sophomore and had 2.5 years remaining. If he had waited the whole season, he could have started up at the beginning of this year and had 3 full years.

JMM28 likes this

He’d have to sit out a year and a half, the rest of this year and next year,  and have one year of playing time after that. 

Or he could sit out until winter semester of next year, play one semester and be done. 

Or I suppose there could be a possibility he’d be able to graduate early and transfer as a grad transfer, but I doubt that is the case if he’s leaving at semester break. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

if that team is worse than us which I hope is the case why would we be interested in him if he can't get minutes with them? I know we coveted him when he came out of HS but we've been getting higher caliber players since then.

New coach. He was also rookie of the year and picked top A10 player 

It’s amazing how often people get transfer rules wrong. He would have only one year left, not a year and a half. You burn a whole year of eligibility any time you play in that school year.  So he burned his junior year this year, unless he can get some sort of waiver, which doesn’t seem likely. 

Imagine if eligibility was by semester instead of year... Duke could bring in some ringers just for March like eight years in a row. 

15 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s amazing how often people get transfer rules wrong. He would have only one year left, not a year and a half. You burn a whole year of eligibility any time you play in that school year.  So he burned his junior year this year, unless he can get some sort of waiver, which doesn’t seem likely. 

Imagine if eligibility was by semester instead of year... Duke could bring in some ringers just for March like eight years in a row. 

So Lewis would either have one semester of eligibility remaining if he plays in spring 2020, or a full year if he waits three semesters and plays in fall 2020?

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So Lewis would either have one semester of eligibility remaining if he plays in spring 2020, or a full year if he waits three semesters and plays in fall 2020?

Yep, you got it. Again, I suppose he could theoretically get a waiver to give him an extra year, but that seems unlikely. 

Transferring mid-season seems like such a waste if you don't get the year back (although I'd apply for the wavier, as the NCAA is relaxing its standards in this department).

I don't see us pursuing him. We need shooters now, not a guy who'll play a semester or two in a year or more.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Transferring mid-season seems like such a waste if you don't get the year back (although I'd apply for the wavier, as the NCAA is relaxing its standards in this department).

I don't see us pursuing him. We need shooters now, not a guy who'll play a semester or two in a year or more.

-blue font - there are standards?