GBL_Bills

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

BREAKING: Chaifetz donates $51m to the athletic dept

I ass u me this is suppose to be in blue ink.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If this turns into a financial d!ck measuring contest it'll only be good for the University.

Exactly!

Let me be the first to start the rumor that SLU is thinking about renaming the business school the Sinquefeld School of Business.

Yeah, Dr. P isn't going anywhere. 2017-2018 was a record-breaking fundraising year and with this gift, they actually have a shot to beat it the following year.

This should help our ran- whoops, never mind.

But this is great. $50 million toward research is a tremendous gift that will keep on giving.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, Dr. P isn't going anywhere. 2017-2018 was a record-breaking fundraising year and with this gift, they actually have a shot to beat it the following year.

This should help our ran- whoops, never mind.

But this is great. $50 million toward research is a tremendous gift that will keep on giving.

But the Title IX Lawsuits! 

C.R.E.A.M.

(Cash Rules Everything Around Midtown)

Box and Won and WUH like this

At this point who really gives a shite about the rankings. This donation is way bigger and more important for the long term future of the University. Things are trending up at SLU for a change. Really hope this boost in funding raises the profiles of science/engineering, med school, econ dept, etc

15 minutes ago, WUH said:

Exactly!

Let me be the first to start the rumor that SLU is thinking about renaming the business school the Sinquefeld School of Business.

I think you have the wrong school in mind, he probably would prefer the Sinquefeld School of Medicine. 

Oh, the business school remark was just a bad joke.  I still cannot believe that SLU asked the Cook family to give up the name of the school even if John Cook retains the name of the building.

Dr. Sinquefeld is not an MD, she has an MBA and a PhD in Demography from the University of Chicago. Interesting people, their foundation provided the funding for creating the Chess Club and the Scholastic Center of St. Louis. This does not appear to be their first big money outlay directed to benefit St. Louis.

WUH your bad joke is no joke at all. Schools will do all kinds of things to get additional donations.

I am like everyone else here - the ranking thing was just plain stupid and the fact that somebody of importance did not double check it before it went in was really stupid.  Now, all the school has to do is show the ranking from the previous year and the letter from Freddie and that should solve the problem assuming they send the right info in next year.  By the way somebody should have if they haven't already lose their job over this knucklehead move)

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Schools will do all kinds of things to get additional donations.

I may be wrong, but I think the decision to rename the Business School was unprecedented in higher ed.

40 minutes ago, WUH said:

I may be wrong, but I think the decision to rename the Business School was unprecedented in higher ed.

I believe that was Cook's intent all along - that the school would be renamed once a larger donation was made.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Mods I guess all the clever left wing cr@% that is filling this thread is ok since it is left wing, huh?   I thought we are supposed to avoid politics on this Board.  You sure are quick to delete posts and point out the non-political nature of this Board if comments are anything other than liberal and Democratic!

I would have hoped that we could have discussed this generous donation w/o all the anti-Rex comments, even if just implied.  I'm sure large donations from rich liberals would have been received far more graciously than this record setting gift to our school.

tenor.gif?itemid=9536199

I KID I KID!!!

billikenbill likes this

2 hours ago, WUH said:

Oh, I do not know about that. Sometimes the donors and their buildings have unfortunate names that become problematic, like Harvard's Pusey Library. I imagine they will do something about it, it will not be cheap, be certain of that.

3 hours ago, WUH said:

As for Dr. Pestello, do I understand correctly: he is considered to be weak at fundraising and Biondi was brought back to make the big ask from guys like Sinquefeld?

I had forgotten that Biondi was brought back to help with the new campaign, can it be assumed he is the one responsible for securing this donation (I guess who really cares is the answer)? An odd looking trio in the photo accompanying the announcement of the donation.

3 hours ago, WUH said:

As for Dr. Pestello, do I understand correctly: he is considered to be weak at fundraising and Biondi was brought back to make the big ask from guys like Sinquefeld?

There is a plethora of misinformation on this board that often seems to somehow get a life of its own and is cited as fact when not true at all. This statement is false. Dr Pestello has done an excellent job of gaining the confidence of many major donors to the university including Dr Chaifetz and the Sinquefields, among others. He has also delveloped an excellent relationship with many of the top leaders and philanthropists in St Louis and in other cities who value and respect his leadership at Saint Louis University. He has played a key role in the highly successful fundraising done at SLU over the past three years and continues to do so.

willie and Billikid like this

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Oh, I do not know about that. Sometimes the donors and their buildings have unfortunate names that become problematic, like Harvard's Pusey Library. I imagine they will do something about it, it will not be cheap, be certain of that.

I do not know about that either.

It is certainly the case that buildings get renamed, but it is often because the name on the building becomes controversial.

I did a search and it appears that Cook gave $5,000,000 or so towards the effort to build a new building which is certainly low by naming standards.

17 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

There is a plethora of misinformation on this board that often seems to somehow get a life of its own and is cited as fact when not true at all. This statement is false. Dr Pestello has done an excellent job of gaining the confidence of many major donors to the university including Dr Chaifetz and the Sinquefields, among others. He has also developed an excellent relationship with many of the top leaders and philanthropists in St Louis and in other cities who value and respect his leadership at Saint Louis University. He has played a key role in the highly successful fundraising done at SLU over the past three years and continues to do so.

I had not heard that here on the boards, but from two people who work at SLU.

I am glad to hear that what I had heard was not the case.