BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

Another place that tried carry out that had to close is Annie Gunns. I believe their problem was that it was publicized that they had 8 people in their front end staff (not the kitchen) turning (+) for Covid. This did it, whatever take out business they had been able to develop at the time just dried out, so  they closed down and laid off their staff. They plan to reopen, of course, the issue is when?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Slowry said:

Hooters doesn’t smoke their wings in house.  They just heat them up and sprinkle on what seasoning you choose.

I think Twin Oaks smoked wings are really good.

-Hooters has a good process for their frozen smoked wings as they are good

More K C H action here

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Old Rock House used to(maybe still does) have killer smoked wings. How is anyone here seriously talking about hooters wings in the same breath as the best wings in STL? 

then we saw 2 years on the team :) 

15 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I need to check this place out, I used to live on Lindenwood just a short walk down January or Sulphur to Tilles Park.

I've never been either but I've seen pics....oh sweet mama there are pics....and the burgers look unbelievable. 

lots of terrific suggestions; problem is, I cannot head out and try any.  I much prefer sitting in a joint as opposed to carry out; and yes, I know we should be supporting our good restaurants.

I'd give another shout out to Roper's; and Shaved Duck.  Did anyone mention Adam's Smokehouse or the pastrami at Bogarts? 

ps: are there other cole slaw nuts out there, like me?? (creamy, not vinegar) -- if so: where is the very best cole slaw??

24 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

lots of terrific suggestions; problem is, I cannot head out and try any.  I much prefer sitting in a joint as opposed to carry out; and yes, I know we should be supporting our good restaurants.

I'd give another shout out to Roper's; and Shaved Duck.  Did anyone mention Adam's Smokehouse or the pastrami at Bogarts? 

ps: are there other cole slaw nuts out there, like me?? (creamy, not vinegar) -- if so: where is the very best cole slaw??

-I like both creamy and vinegar slaw but none are springing to mind that are of note other than my mom's

23 hours ago, Old guy said:

Another place that tried carry out that had to close is Annie Gunns. I believe their problem was that it was publicized that they had 8 people in their front end staff (not the kitchen) turning (+) for Covid. This did it, whatever take out business they had been able to develop at the time just dried out, so  they closed down and laid off their staff. They plan to reopen, of course, the issue is when?

My wife and I are regulars at the Smokehouse Market, so that was really sad to see (also sad that I now have to buy meat at Dierbergs!).

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thanks for the rec. Somewhat related, there are some damn good frozen pizzas on the market these days.

Seriously. Gallagher Bros produce some of the best. Gioia's started making pizzas to drum up business during the lock down, and I doubt they will stop whenever everything is back to normal. 

TheChosenOne likes this

17 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Seriously. Gallagher Bros produce some of the best. Gioia's started making pizzas to drum up business during the lock down, and I doubt they will stop whenever everything is back to normal. 

I had a Gallagher Bros. pizza the other day - good stuff.

I've been trying to get carry-out as much as possible lately.  Gotta do my part to help keep a few of my favorite places afloat.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, billikenfan05 said:

Old Rock House used to(maybe still does) have killer smoked wings. How is anyone here seriously talking about hooters wings in the same breath as the best wings in STL? 

I love Hooters wings I think they are terrific!

But you can’t really compare them to wings from a Smokehouse or even a local restaurant.

Its like enjoying a burger from Wendy’s. Sure I like them but they aren’t comparable to a good restaurant burger.

If one follows the original recipe from the Anchor Bar they should always taste the same. Some doctoring of that may cause better tasting wings but if you want the original flavor first turned on the Lou by Culpeppers just follow the recipe.