Chant during the game?

Cowboy

3 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

The chant would make the players feel good, but may backfire and put more pressure on the administration to throw the book at the players.  It is best not to say anything.  Administrators do not think like fans.  Their thought may be, "We can't have the nuts running the asylum."  The do-gooders would ask the administrators, "Are you going to let the students push you around?" as they sip their bourbon and smoke their pipe.  Administrators think very highly of themselves and don't want the impression that they were pushed around by the underlings.  So, if they let the three players back without punishment, it could be perceived by their do-gooder pals that they let them off easy due to fan pressure.  

The administration is going to do whatever they think is going to do whatever they think will be the most accepted action by the people whose opinions they value.  A fan chant isn't going to cause them to throw the book at the players.  It, also, isn't going to cause them to treat the players more leniently.  The people that are going to make this decision don't care about the damage it may cause to the basketball program or even what damage it may cause to the school long term.  This is all about looking good to their peers.

I like the idea of sending a message to get this wrapped up.  I just don't know if "Free the Three" is the chant you want to use.  What happens if information comes out later that makes you think that they should have been punished somehow.  In the very first post on this topic, Cowboy said that the purpose was "intended to get the U to make a decision, either let them play or expel them or advise them of the status, but make a decision."  If that is the purpose, then "Free the Three" seems like a one sided chant to use.

I want a decision also, but I also want the right decision.  I would feel bad about chanting something that suggests these guys should go free if I later found out that they shouldn't.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like the idea of sending a message to get this wrapped up.  I just don't know if "Free the Three" is the chant you want to use.  What happens if information comes out later that makes you think that they should have been punished somehow.  In the very first post on this topic, Cowboy said that the purpose was "intended to get the U to make a decision, either let them play or expel them or advise them of the status, but make a decision."  If that is the purpose, then "Free the Three" seems like a one sided chant to us.

I want a decision also, but I also want the right decision.  I would feel bad about chanting something that suggests these guys should go free if I later found out that they shouldn't.

Then the chant should be something like, "Get it done" or "Figure it out" or "Fix your mess."

13 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

The chant would make the players feel good, but may backfire and put more pressure on the administration to throw the book at the players.  It is best not to say anything.  Administrators do not think like fans.  Their thought may be, "We can't have the nuts running the asylum."  The do-gooders would ask the administrators, "Are you going to let the students push you around?" as they sip their bourbon and smoke their pipe.  Administrators think very highly of themselves and don't want the impression that they were pushed around by the underlings.  So, if they let the three players back without punishment, it could be perceived by their do-gooder pals that they let them off easy due to fan pressure.  

The administrators showing themselves to be thinned skinned by throwing book at the players will show themselves to the fans and I can then judge whether or not to support the basketball program that is ran by such people.

I have always liked the SLU program because of integrity and if the administrators do what you described then they lack integrity and I will spend my money and time on another program.

Through the years I have introduced so many people to the SLU program and many of those people are fans today.

Had I ever thought that if I speak my mind about something I think is wrong happening to these young people that the SLU administrators would punish them worse I would have never been involved with this basketball program nor brought others along.

The thought of punishing the players worse by expressing our thoughts is revolting and disgusting.

21 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

-based on history, there will be very few SLU students there and the players have been punished, I don't know if the punishment fits the violation

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I will say that none of the people who have a say in this decision would ever even consider going to a basketball game other than Pestello who is just there for show. 

-DrP is who I intended for this to reach, hopefully loudly

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like the idea of sending a message to get this wrapped up.  I just don't know if "Free the Three" is the chant you want to use.  What happens if information comes out later that makes you think that they should have been punished somehow.  In the very first post on this topic, Cowboy said that the purpose was "intended to get the U to make a decision, either let them play or expel them or advise them of the status, but make a decision."  If that is the purpose, then "Free the Three" seems like a one sided chant to use.

-again, there has been punishment, the kids are not playing in games, I don't know if the punishment fits the violation but to me at this point everyday without a decision is very unfair to, first and foremost, the girls and players involved and secondarily to whole bunch of folks/entities

13 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

How about every season ticket holder throw the booklet with their remaining season tickets on the court and walk out ( or tear the tixs out and throw the cover if you're the frugal type)

LOOOOOOOOVE this idea. I'd chant with you guys, but I've been boycotting games (coming from a dude who took empty yellow school buses to the scottrade center to watch drejaj play against chicago state opponents)

13 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

How about every season ticket holder throw the booklet with their remaining season tickets on the court and walk out ( or tear the tixs out and throw the cover if you're the frugal type)

Um, Friday's game is the Teddy Bear toss. This idea could have legs...

15 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The player aren't going to be charged with a crime.  

I don't find much use in criticizing the non offensive phrase selection of fans venting their frustration.  It has to be simple and slightly catchy like "free the three" to work as a chant.

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Free the three is harsh and biting and powerful (and possibly wrong)

Make a decision is ok

everything else sounds like a stoned sociology professor trying fight the good fight....

I’d agree that “Make A Decision” is better, unless you’re going to explain that “Free the 3” could also refer to freeing them from the uncertainty, which could be a bit too much explaining.

5 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

How about wrap it up 

Fred will be confused by this because it is the Christmas season and think it is about wrapping a gift for him.

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Stick with Free The Three. If the players do end up being kicked out of school for serious misconduct, nobody is going to care that you stood up at Chaifetz and said "free the three."

At this point, they should just scrap the whole idea.  It is going to be mess as you have people at the game deciding for themselves what is the least offensive and most politically correct chant to start.

"Weigh the evidence!"

'Forgive the the sinner!"

"Make a decision! Please?"

"Free Tibet!"

"Let's all head over Doc P's office for cookies!"  "It is cool, he invited us"

4 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

This is either going to be really cool and people might join in or really awkward hopefully people join in 

It's going to end up like many "walk outs" that were panned in my high school days.

News would spread and excitement grow then at the time of the walk out nobody would move. Id look out the window and 1 sucker would be standing out there and later be suspended. 

It happened a few times each year and every time people actually thought it was going to happen.

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It's going to end up like many "walk outs" that were panned in my high school days.

News would spread and excitement grow then at the time of the walk out nobody would move. Id look out the window and 1 sucker would be standing out there and later be suspended. 

It happened a few times each year and every time people actually thought it was going to happen.

So you're saying it's just gonna be @billikenfan05?