VT over the Bills by 12

The Wiz

No I didn't forget Rockhurst....I only do Div 1...For those that need reassurance....Bills over Rockhurst...by a bunch

Coming into the the Va Tech game there is good news and bad news. The good news is we have moved up to B-. The bad news is we are playing an A Team. It is interesting to note while we moved up from C+ ....Seattle stayed at D.  In other words , Seattle did what they were supposed to do. The few extra points we beat them by were insignificant.  Then why did we move up?  Both teams were unknowns.  But we were the bigger unknown...therefore the bigger surprise. Our win was more meaningful.   Unfortunately , this will not help us much in the upcoming game. VT is good....They should be Dancin' in March.

So what should we do?....First, let's look at the stats for the Bills

.................Off..................Def

PPG..........D-...................A+

FG%..........D-...................B+

3p%..........D-....................B-

FT%..........C

Reb...........B.....................A

Tip o' the cap to the following top 100 players..stats /g......Goodwin....17th in steals....92nd Reb....Hines  58th in 3PtM...Bess 79th in MPG

So if you haven't noticed , we are a defensive team. Yes, it is a small sample size but falls in line with preseason practices. 

Now let's take a look at VT....

...............Off.......................Def

PPG........A+.......................D-

FG%.........A+......................C+

3pt%.........B+.....................D

FT%...........C-

Reb...........A.........................B+

So this is a team  that really doesn't care about defense.   We will blow you away with our offense.  Of the players who have taken shots this season , VT has 2 guys that are shooting 42%.....Everyone else is shooting above 50%. Their star is guard Nickeli Alexander Walker... 3 names...This is 1 player though he plays like 3.   Shooting 63% overall and 50% from the arc followed closely behind by Blackshear their other guard with a 76 FG%.  They are averaging 26 and 22 pts respectively. Oh yeah,, Blackshear is also averaging over 10 rpg.

Bottom line....Off meets Def ......VT is not use to seeing a team that plays a slower defensive game....We should be able to knock their offensive numbers down....Plus they will let us shoot....The question is... can we shoot?  If we play like we have been , it will be a VT blowout...far exceeding 12pts. However, if we can start hitting some buckets...including finishing and making the easy ones ...we have a chance. Coming into this game we will have played a Div 2 , an NAIA, and a D rated team. We will need to step it up quite a bit and bring our A game to play an A team.

It isn't that Va Tech doesn't really care about defense.  They aren't good, but besides opponents 3 pt % they aren't playing awful defense, so far, either.  Their points against looks bloated because the number of possessions in their games is 7th in the country so far. 

The pace they play at is what scares me most about this game. The Hookies have nine guys that average 14 or more minutes.  Unless we get two guys back, we are looking at a limited roster for us again.  If we can't really slow down the pace that the Hookies want to play at, we may be completely gassed in the second half.  

We need to stop them from hitting the offensive glass.  We held Seattle to two offensive boards.  We need to keep that same intensity against the Hookies.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It isn't that Va Tech doesn't really care about defense.  They aren't good, but besides opponents 3 pt % they aren't playing awful defense, so far, either.  Their points against looks bloated because the number of possessions in their games is 7th in the country so far. 

The pace they play at is what scares me most about this game. The Hookies have nine guys that average 14 or more minutes.  Unless we get two guys back, we are looking at a limited roster for us again.  If we can't really slow down the pace that the Hookies want to play at, we may be completely gassed in the second half.  

We need to stop them from hitting the offensive glass.  We held Seattle to two offensive boards.  We need to keep that same intensity against the Hookies.

This. They play fast and go deep. They have 9 guys in the rotation; we have 8 scholarship players available. Even if we hang for a while, I would expect them to pull away in the second half.

I would be fibbing if I said I wasn't worried about this game, but I still am super excited about it as well. 

While I think VaTech is a stout matchup, I don't see them dropping 100 on the Bills like they did to Detroit and the Citadel. I hope the Bills get hot as a squad and stay in this one. 

12 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I would be fibbing if I said I wasn't worried about this game, but I still am super excited about it as well. 

While I think VaTech is a stout matchup, I don't see them dropping 100 on the Bills like they did to Detroit and the Citadel. I hope the Bills get hot as a squad and stay in this one. 

Goodwin could go off for 40 if they don't want to play d....

Can't put much stock in VT's stats, or the SLU's stats, after a couple of games against very poor competition.  That said, you cannot play an ACC team, even one projected to finish middle of the ACC, with a short bench.  Without Bishop and Henriquez the Bills lose by closer to 20 than 10. 

VT starts 4 guards and a forward so missing Bishop likely will be a killer.  We better hope Hines, Goodwin and Roby have great games handling and shooting the ball.  And Lord help SLU if they get in foul trouble.  But it would be a great game to win ...... will be watching and hope to be surprised with a win.

By what I saw in the Seattle game, SLU is much better this year than I have ever seen them to be in terms of physical contact, rebounds, and steals. If VT is really a more or less pure offensive team with little defense capacity we may do very well against them. It all depends, I would think, more on our big bodies that do not score much French, Foreman, and Anthony to get them blocked physically, Goodwin to confuse the hell out of them, and Bess + Johnson (if their defense does not block him) to be able to score. It will be interesting to say the least, unfortunately I will not be watching it as we have a prior commitment for that night. I really do not think VT will steam roll over us, that said I do not know who will win this game.

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

By what I saw in the Seattle game, SLU is much better this year than I have ever seen them to be in terms of physical contact, rebounds, and steals. If VT is really a more or less pure offensive team with little defense capacity we may do very well against them. It all depends, I would think, more on our big bodies that do not score much French, Foreman, and Anthony to get them blocked physically, Goodwin to confuse the hell out of them, and Bess + Johnson (if their defense does not block him) to be able to score. It will be interesting to say the least, unfortunately I will not be watching it as we have a prior commitment for that night. I really do not think VT will steam roll over us, that said I do not know who will win this game.

ESPN 2 game ...... DVR it.

Very disappointed that it appears likely we are heading into this game short-handed. When the schedule came out was really looking forward to the possibility of a key quality early season win. Seems like a long shot now. Our best chance seems to be to ugly it up without getting into foul trouble. A tough task.

Ace what do you mean by ugly it up? I think the physicality of this team is something to be cherished and enjoyed, I love the thought of being called thugs by our opponents. Basketball does not  have to be refined with measured steps like a production of Swan Lake by the Kirov Ballet. Hell if we get close and physical and win that way, much the better. I would rather be the "thug squad" than the "lovable losers." We can win this game, whether or not it looks pretty, if we are ready to fight for this win, short-handed squad or not. In my  experience watching the Bills we have never been in a position that allowed us to play a physical game and assume the role of thugs. I hope this is the year we do it, pretty or not.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

ESPN 2 game ...... DVR it.

Thank you WVBilliken I will have to learn how to set the box to record but it can be done, appreciate the tip. I will really enjoy it, particularly if we win.

7 minutes ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

was just looking at some of the experts picks for the game tomorrow and most are favoring us at least in the money line one has us losing 69-66 another picked us for +2.5 billikens they believe that our defense will be able slow them down quite a bit 

Per CBS sports app, we're +13.5. I'd take that.

48 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

Per CBS sports app, we're +13.5. I'd take that.

I think the line seems to sum up the general consensus on the game from Bills fans: VT can get buckets, they haven't played anyone, we will be physical, they will likely pull away towards the end. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Let's put it this way, all the doom and gloom about our short handed team will make it a lot sweeter if we win against VT.

or even a competitive/close game, actually. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, I'm repeating myself from another thread, but Ford has stated he likes to have an 8 man rotation, with all 8 getting heavy minutes.  He has eight, so let's coach them up Coach.

ehhh, doesnt really work that way.  When he cuts a rotation down to a certain number, it has to do with those exact players and what they bring.