GDT: Seattle v. SLU

moytoy12

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got the damn baby down just after the second half started. From what I can tell:

-Goodwin looks about how I thought he would - big, physical lead guard who's going to have a big learning curve - except he's not scoring. 0-12 now. Woof. I knew he'd have some TO issues this season, some decision making skills to hone and we're seeing those things tonight. But man, I think for the sake of his psyche he needs a FG.

-French is a beast. Love this kid. He's everything I wanted him to be.

-Hines looks like a different player this year. I was the biggest Hines hater last season, but his piss poor shot selection is nowhere to be seen. He's not forcing anything, taking good shots, and knocking them down. Can't ask for more.

-Roby is forcing it a bit. He's been all right.

-Johnson showed better in the exhibition game. I think it's going to be about matchups with him, but he seems unselfish enough that he's not going to chase numbers.

-Rashed Anthony is MIA. Really thought we'd see more of him and from him. Foreman, too. But if French is this good and we can go small, these guys might not be the sort of even-minutes 3-man rotation I expected.

-Bess is who I thought he was. Great all-around performance. Veteran leader.

-Seems like we're going to see a lot of games like this. Physical, tough, not necessarily pretty. Scoring is going to be a struggle some nights. Not sure effort ever will be.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

That was one of the best 0-12 nights I’ve seen.  Goodwin does so much on the court.  Also, like that he didn’t get overly emotional about his shooting woes.  

There was one point in the second half where he sat after a miss and looked a little frustrated. Not overly emotional, but almost like he was confused.

9 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

That was one of the best 0-12 nights I’ve seen.  Goodwin does so much on the court.  Also, like that he didn’t get overly emotional about his shooting woes.  

He was one of the most excited players leaving the court after the game.  No sulking.

So very happy to have my Billikens back where I like them. Exciting year ahead and IM  so ready. 

apparently I overshot the attendance a little bit. But student section was there and that's a start. 

We did win and the student section was quite full. Nice start. Only 9 suited players showed up, one of them Psimitris. Also sitting on the bench in civilian clothing were Santos, Welmer and the other walk on. We won by a fair margin and that should be enough. We will see how we do at the MSG which is coming up soon. 

French and Goodwin both looked like freshmen at times, but dear god did they get after it. No fear, tons of intensity, I loved it. We'll have to play scrappy with our short bench and lack of guards, but this group is tough as nails and ready for battle. 

36 minutes ago, Compton said:

I was listening to the game so not getting an entirely clear sense of all the match-ups, but did French just keep a 7-3, 285 Junior to 2 points and 2 rebounds? If so, good lord. 

I also was limited to listening.  They described really good defensive positioning for French.  Yeah, he shut him down.

You gotta love that some of the players   (Bess, Johnson and French that I saw for sure) went over to the student section after the game high-fiveing students and obviously thanking them for their support.  Too bad the rest of the attendance sucked.  Student section full, even at the end;  rest of the arena 1/2 full at best!  Too bad so many season ticket holders missed a really good game with great effort by the entire team.  Even though the next game is against Rockhurst I hope more people attend.