French and Goodwin

41 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I going to sound like Frank C but I think French is the most physically imposing Billiken in my 20+ years of fandom 

Longer than that.  We haven’t had a player this physically imposing since Anthony Bonner.  And French is just an 18 year old freshman.  What will he look like as a 22 year old senior?!  French and Gordon for three years... ouch!

42 minutes ago, hoppybeer said:

I'm starting to picture physical dominance of other teams like Cincinnati in the 90's.

I was starting to have this exact same thought.

I had the benefit of watching SLU up close in the first half of the 00s, and Huggins was still at UC. Those teams were just enormous compared to SLU, every year. We were outmuscled at all five positions. We also had some pretty tough teams at Memphis, Louisville, and even DePaul on occasion back then, and to a lesser extent Charlotte; Marquette wasn't physically bigger, just more talented than us. The perspective I gained from up close, though, was just how physically big and strong a lot of these players were, and how necessary that is to make it to the next level (and last; one of the guys that stood out to me in that era was Jarrett Jack at Georgia Tech, who we played a couple times, and he's still in the league).

This roster is the biggest and strongest we've ever had, and I don't think it's particularly close. We had a lot of teams with underrated toughness and physicality - even in the era I mention above - but nothing like this.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

For those old enough to remember, French reminds me of a taller Curtis Bostic.

He was the bald brick shithouse wasn't he? Either him, Martin or Blount. I'd be happy with any of those comparisons as long as he doesn't punch a police horse in the head.

1 minute ago, hoppybeer said:

He was the bald brick shithouse wasn't he? Either him, Martin or Blount. I'd be happy with any of those comparisons as long as he doesn't punch a police horse in the head.

Yes, he was.  Looked like he was ready for the WWF.  I think he is still the strength and conditioning coach at UC.  I saw him about 5 years ago and he was still built like he was 25 years ago.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I was starting to have this exact same thought.

I had the benefit of watching SLU up close in the first half of the 00s, and Huggins was still at UC. Those teams were just enormous compared to SLU, every year. We were outmuscled at all five positions. We also had some pretty tough teams at Memphis, Louisville, and even DePaul on occasion back then, and to a lesser extent Charlotte; Marquette wasn't physically bigger, just more talented than us. The perspective I gained from up close, though, was just how physically big and strong a lot of these players were, and how necessary that is to make it to the next level (and last; one of the guys that stood out to me in that era was Jarrett Jack at Georgia Tech, who we played a couple times, and he's still in the league).

This roster is the biggest and strongest we've ever had, and I don't think it's particularly close. We had a lot of teams with underrated toughness and physicality - even in the era I mention above - but nothing like this.

Peter, if you can remember the weight room in West Pine, that might have been the contributing factor. I bet it was a drop down from Chaminade! You couldn't fit a full team in there. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Peter, if you can remember the weight room in West Pine, that might have been the contributing factor. I bet it was a drop down from Chaminade! You couldn't fit a full team in there. 

It is incredible that was the weight room for a major athletic program, so pathetic.

26 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

How is that possible in today's sports centered hs world?

You can still work out without lifting weights (push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc). 

But I agree, it seems like someone somewhere along the line would've tried to get him in a weight room. 

Hopefully half our squad doesn't have to wear tshirts to hide their non existent muscles like our teams in the past.

Dude is jacked...