Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Pistol

Recruiting - 2021

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

so the risk here is that he lists a top 10 and later we see a top 5 with a couple schools that weren't in the original 10.

I for sure see this happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Looks like Nesbitt is cutting his list next week. 

 

With absolutely zero inside information, I feel like Nesbitt is local priority #1 for Ford and staff right now.  And from what we've seen out of Ford and staff so far, they get local Priority #1:  Goodwin, Gordon, and Okoro come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

With absolutely zero inside information, I feel like Nesbitt is local priority #1 for Ford and staff right now.  And from what we've seen out of Ford and staff so far, they get local Priority #1:  Goodwin, Gordon, and Okoro come to mind.

Trying to save myself from going back and looking at the old 2019 recruiting thread, would you say Yuri/Hargrove were our priority #1 local recruiting targets in 2019? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The staff's batting average is extraordinarily high.

TOP LOCAL PRIORITIES BY YEAR

2017
Jordan Goodwin

2018
Carteare Gordon
Torrence Watson
Fred Thatch

2019
Mario McKinney
Yuri Collins
Terrence Hargrove

2020
Luke Kasubke
Davion Bradford

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Trying to save myself from going back and looking at the old 2019 recruiting thread, would you say Yuri/Hargrove were our priority #1 local recruiting targets in 2019? 

I was kind of trying to limit it to big name, program changing recruits. Not saying Yuri or Hargrove can’t be that. They were certainly both very highly regarded, but I don’t think either would’ve realistically be labeled a program changer. Maybe Okoro shouldn’t be considered that as a transfer, but I think he was definitely our top priority once he hit the transfer market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The staff's batting average is extraordinarily high.

TOP LOCAL PRIORITIES BY YEAR

2017
Jordan Goodwin

2018
Carteare Gordon
Torrence Watson
Fred Thatch

2019
Mario McKinney
Yuri Collins
Terrence Hargrove

2020
Luke Kasubke
Davion Bradford

 

How hard were we going after Tilmon in 2017?  I remember there being a lot of chatter about him and us after he decommitted from Illinois, but it may have been just that- chatter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

How hard were we going after Tilmon in 2017?  I remember there being a lot of chatter about him and us after he decommitted from Illinois, but it may have been just that- chatter. 

I didn't count Tilmon as local after he transferred to La Lumiere for his junior year.  By the time he transferred back to East St. Louis, the decision to go P5 had already been made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The staff's batting average is extraordinarily high.

TOP LOCAL PRIORITIES BY YEAR

2017
Jordan Goodwin

2018
Carteare Gordon
Torrence Watson
Fred Thatch

2019
Mario McKinney
Yuri Collins
Terrence Hargrove

2020
Luke Kasubke
Davion Bradford

 

 

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I was kind of trying to limit it to big name, program changing recruits. Not saying Yuri or Hargrove can’t be that. They were certainly both very highly regarded, but I don’t think either would’ve realistically be labeled a program changer. Maybe Okoro shouldn’t be considered that as a transfer, but I think he was definitely our top priority once he hit the transfer market. 

Thanks guys. Was wondering how you guys classified Yuri and TJ. Ford has definitely had a lot of local success, which makes me optimistic on guys like Nesbitt and Kern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I didn't count Tilmon as local after he transferred to La Lumiere for his junior year.  By the time he transferred back to East St. Louis, the decision to go P5 had already been made.

How much better do you Tilmon would be if he had come to SLU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really didn’t recruit McKinney very hard, which may have been the staff’s choice or because they knew he wasn’t interested. Regardless, he was never a top local target for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AGB91 said:

How much better do you Tilmon would be if he had come to SLU?

I have no idea.  What I do know is you have to be capable of learning from mistakes.  Some guys can't do this, no matter who their coach is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

With absolutely zero inside information, I feel like Nesbitt is local priority #1 for Ford and staff right now.  And from what we've seen out of Ford and staff so far, they get local Priority #1:  Goodwin, Gordon, and Okoro come to mind.

I don’t think there is any doubt that Nesbitt is the staff’s top priority for this class. He has said that SLU has been recruiting him the hardest. Frank has mentioned that Coach Tate is in constant contact with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

We really didn’t recruit McKinney very hard, which may have been the staff’s choice or because they knew he wasn’t interested. Regardless, he was never a top local target for us.

The staff went hard after McKinney for two years.  He was undoubtedly our top target during that time.  The Yuri you see now wasn't that guy until late in his junior year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

How much better do you Tilmon would be if he had come to SLU?

tillmon is almost a gordon clone.  classic underachiever.   been watching him in person since he was a high school freshman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AGB91 said:

How much better do you Tilmon would be if he had come to SLU?

When Tilmon was a senior and Hargrove was his sophomore teammate, Hargrove was the better player. He still is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 3:08 PM, billiken_roy said:

tillmon is almost a gordon clone.  classic underachiever.   been watching him in person since he was a high school freshman.

Not quite...while he has been just ok, at least he is still at his original school. Nice try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Not quite...while he has been just ok, at least he is still at his original school. Nice try.

A top 50 consensus recruit who through 3 seasons has averaged just 8 points, 5 boards with suspect defense while fouling out of 21 games in his career is not really OK.  For reference French who is the most prolific fouler we have had in 40 years has only fouled out of 14 games.

Oh and the requisite DUI arrest since he does matriculate at SPUMAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thetorch said:

A top 50 consensus recruit who through 3 seasons has averaged just 8 points, 5 boards with suspect defense while fouling out of 21 games in his career is not really OK.  For reference French who is the most prolific fouler we have had in 40 years has only fouled out of 14 games.

Oh and the requisite DUI arrest since he does matriculate at SPUMAC.

He compared Tillmon to Gordon which is ridiculous....and I loathe UMC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, I don't care about his Top Ten, only his top one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, thetorch said:

A top 50 consensus recruit who through 3 seasons has averaged just 8 points, 5 boards with suspect defense while fouling out of 21 games in his career is not really OK.  For reference French who is the most prolific fouler we have had in 40 years has only fouled out of 14 games.

Oh and the requisite DUI arrest since he does matriculate at SPUMAC.

I mean I don't have much of an opinion on the kid. He'll likely finish his college career with 1000 points and 600 rebounds. Maybe not the ceiling everyone projected but that's solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drissa Traore, a forward from Harlem playing at Long Island Lutheran, committed to nearby St. John's. Had a SLU offer. Other than Illinois, St. John's is the only other power conference offer he had.

John Butler, Jr. committed to Florida State last week. He had announced his finalists recently and SLU (offer) wasn't among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Memphis offered Nesbitt today.

This is the offer that worries me. Memphis has been slow playing him, but an offer was inevitable. Hopefully it won’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Memphis offered Nesbitt today.

The blue bloods are not offering Nesbitt, at least not on his timetable.

Penny is our major competition for him.  He has been working Nesbitt for a while and the offer was inevitable.  Penny doesn't make this offer this late without a very good chance that Nesbitt commits to him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...