Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SLURadioBoy said:

Thanks. That’s what I figured. Does anyone remember why he didn’t work out? Did he back out of his commitment after Romar left or was it an eligibility issue?

Eligibility. I don’t believe he ever played D1 basketball.

without looking it up, who can name the other kid signed by Romar in that class?

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

without looking it up, who can name the other kid signed by Romar in that class?

Ryan Holland, right? I remember being so excited about that class but neither ever put on the Billiken uniform.

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I don't remember his name, but he was the 7 footer who went to UCLA

27 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Thanks. That’s what I figured. Does anyone remember why he didn’t work out? Did he back out of his commitment after Romar left or was it an eligibility issue?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't eligible, but some people (read: Floyd Irons) tried to spin it as him leaving because Romar left. 

By the way, this makes me feel a bit old. Kern was my age, and he already has a son getting mentioned as a future recruit? 

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Hollins had a 4 year stint at UCLA (so it could have not been an eligibility issue) and about 13 years in the NBA.

I was highly disappointed when he moved on.

Kern is the one who didn't qualify.  Ryan Hollins asked out of his LOI after Romar left; he didn't have any other motivation to go to a school more than halfway across the country without Romar.

Kern had some of the worst luck.  Plays for Irons at the height of his influence and shadiness.  Irons was in prison soon thereafter.  Kern never had a chance.  He actually had a qualifying ACT score but his grades were so bad that he couldn't get into a 4 year school.  Irons had the bright idea to draft Kern to his low level pro team and Kern was dumb enough to sign ruining his chance at a free education.  He played a while, I think Irons eventually cut him.  Then Kern got shot.  His career was over.

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Kern had some of the worst luck.  Plays for Irons at the height of his influence and shadiness.  Irons was in prison soon thereafter.  Kern never had a chance.  He actually had a qualifying ACT score but his grades were so bad that he couldn't get into a 4 year school.  Irons had the bright idea to draft Kern to his low level pro team and Kern was dumb enough to sign ruining his chance at a free education.  He played a while, I think Irons eventually cut him.  Then Kern got shot.  His career was over.

Thanks. I thought Kern was shot at one point, but couldn’t remember the whole story. It’s too bad things didn’t work out better for him.

18 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't eligible, but some people (read: Floyd Irons) tried to spin it as him leaving because Romar left

By the way, this makes me feel a bit old. Kern was my age, and he already has a son getting mentioned as a future recruit? 

Both of these things can be true, and they are. He was there for Romar, as most of his recruits were. He wasn't going to stay for Soderberg even if he had been cleared. If Romar had stayed, my guess is that Kern would have, too, and sat out the first year before playing (like Tatum did under Spoon/Romar). Everyone knew qualification was a problem going into it. Romar thought he was worth taking a chance on. He went to Indian Hills CC but didn't last long.

16 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Thanks. I thought Kern was shot at one point, but couldn’t remember the whole story. It’s too bad things didn’t work out better for him.

His son recently picked up an offer from DePaul.  He will be a sophomore this year at  Vashon.  

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

His son recently picked up an offer from DePaul.  He will be a sophomore this year at  Vashon.  

is he new at V?  there wasn't a Fr on the roster last year. 

20 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Being lazy, where do these kids go to high school (obviously Kern is at the V)?

Kern is at the V, Burden will attend Cardinal Ritter, and Martin will attend CBC. Kern is a 2021 kid, the other two are 2022.

I suppose I need to start a 2022 thread soon. They get earlier every year.

Terrence Clarke - SG, 6-6, 180 - Boston, MA (The Rivers School) - Twitter: @terrenceclarke_

Offers: SLU, Rhode Island, Georgetown, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa, Rutgers, UConn.

Interest: Villanova, Duke, Louisville, Boston College, Ohio State, Baylor, Kentucky, Vanderbilt.

Latest News: Clarke received offers from SLU, Indiana, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Iowa, Syracuse, and Rutgers after being named MVP of the Hoop Group Summer Jam Fest. (7/26/18)

Scouting Report: Clarke is an elite wing and considered one of the best players in the 2021 class. He has tremendous length and athletic ability. He's a high-volume scorer from everywhere. He sees the floor extremely well and makes plays for his teammates. His length helps him rack up steals and blocks. He rebounds the wing very well. His shot is a bit unorthodox in form, but it works; he makes it at a good percentage from everywhere. Rankings: Future150 - 1, ESPN - 2.

-There's a better chance that this kid will go straight to the NBA (because they'll change the rule by then) than he will end up at SLU. But hey, I don't mind a statement offer.

NH likes this

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Nice response to the offer from SLU by Mr. Clarke.

I love those guys in the picture great memories a fun time.

This is something I think is underrated regarding TF giving out so many offers. Here we have a kid that's probably one and done or straight to the NBA tweeting Blessed and honored to receive an offer from SLU. It's free advertising from a kid other players look up to. How many times did we see tweets like that or our name even out there with kids like this

ChangeOfPace likes this

• 4 weeks later...