Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

i think this will be the first of many. Horned Frogs should be too much of a worry for us though right?

TCU isn't a traditional power house, but they've been very good since Jamie Dixon took over (NIT champ, NCAA appearance, NIT semifinal, season cut short in his 4 years).  Given Dixon is a TCU alum, I think he's probably in it for the long haul there. They're also in the Big 12 and in a major metropolitan area (not some nothing town in Kansas *cough* KState *cough*).

This isn't like recruiting against Kansas or Duke, but I don't think there is shame in potentially losing recruits to TCU.  Ultimately if we can land Kern it will be about him wanting to stay home.

41 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-SLU offers SO MUCH MORE to recruits/students/athletes than just wanting to stay home

Maybe, but it's no accident that the local stars at SLU have spent much of their adult lives in the St. Louis metro.  It's easy for them to choose the hometown school because they intend to stay/return here.

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe, but it's no accident that the local stars at SLU have spent much of their adult lives in the St. Louis metro.  It's easy for them to choose the hometown school because they intend to stay/return here.

....and the team is getting kick-@$$ good right now!

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-SLU offers SO MUCH MORE to recruits/students/athletes than just wanting to stay home

Right.  I wasn't trying to suggest that is the only thing SLU offers.  I was suggesting that it is likely a major consideration for a St. Louis kid deciding between SLU and TCU.

Kendall Brown committed to Baylor (which surprised me) and Malcolm Chimezie committed to Boston U. We had no chance at the former and I'm surprised the latter committed now.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Kendall Brown committed to Baylor (which surprised me) and Malcolm Chimezie committed to Boston U. We had no chance at the former and I'm surprised the latter committed now.

One of those rare occasions where the infamous package deal worked out.  

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1988046

Brown joins four-star guard Langston Love and Jeremy Sochan as touted recruits who have committed to Baylor over the past week. Love's commitment was a key factor in Brown's decision.

"That was my guy at USA Basketball camp," Brown said. "We could (make an) impact on the court together. His commitment to Baylor last week made me think about it even more."

14 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

A new offer...

This kid has me really interested.  Has been under the radar because he broke his wrist before last year's summer circuit.  

Can't find any recent video on him but here is a tweet of him dunking

and some video from 3 years ago.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This kid has me really interested.  Has been under the radar because he broke his wrist before last year's summer circuit.  

Can't find any recent video on him but here is a tweet of him dunking

and some video from 3 years ago.

Even if this kid would have remained healthy, he was going to remain under the radar.  Playing 5A ball in small-town Kansas is like playing 3A ball in St. Louis metro.  The eye-test alone indicates that he can play at the A10 level.  But when a kid isn't playing anybody, it's hard to tell whether he's a future sixth man or a future all-conference player.

Gavyn Elkamil - G, 6-5, 190 - Pittsburg, KS (Link Year Prep, MO) - AAU: Team Carroll - Twitter: @gavynelkamil
Offers: Saint Louis, Tulsa, Southeast Missouri, SIU-Edwardsville, Southern Miss, Towson, Northern Colorado, Kansas City.

Interest: Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Boston College, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Wichita State, Temple, Utah State, Boise State, Portland State, Princeton, Cornell, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Illinois State, Morehead State, Austin Peay, Texas-San Antonio, Central Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, UNC-Greensboro, Southeastern Louisiana, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, UC-Davis, Cal State-Fullerton, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, Northeastern, UNC-Wilmington, Montana State, Liberty, Lipscomb, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, South Carolina State, Grambling State.

Latest News: Elkamil received an offer from SLU. (7/21/20)

Scouting Report: Elkamil is a versatile, skilled guard with a well-rounded game. He scores on all three levels and has a smooth, athletic style. He's got a quick, consistent shot, handles the ball well through traffic, and shows leaping ability getting to the rim. He's an excellent rebounder for a guard. He's a lockdown defender who can guard multiple positions. He graduated from Pittsburg HS and reclassified as a 2021 recruit, taking his prep year at Link Year Prep in Branson, MO.

-He has played recent events with Team Carroll (currently playing as Carroll GoL1ve for some reason) and stood out. Put on a show at the Sunflower Showcase last week. To the point @3star_recruit makes, I guess coaches are starting to get comfortable that he can play at the next level and isn't just picking on tomato cans in rural Kansas. He also missed a big chunk of the summer last year with an injury. His prep year will be more proof of concept, hopefully. He was supposed to play with Woodz Elite on the EYBL circuit this spring and summer.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

One of those rare occasions where the infamous package deal worked out.  

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1988046

Brown joins four-star guard Langston Love and Jeremy Sochan as touted recruits who have committed to Baylor over the past week. Love's commitment was a key factor in Brown's decision.

"That was my guy at USA Basketball camp," Brown said. "We could (make an) impact on the court together. His commitment to Baylor last week made me think about it even more."

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Scott Drew is building a power. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Present tense?

They've been outside the top 40 once since 2007. Three sweet sixteens in ten years, including an elite eight. They're a top 25 team over the last ten years. They ARE a power

Yeah, reading about the package deal now. Crazy. Brown is from Minnesota and called Kansas his dream school for years. Once he rose to 5-star territory, had the entire Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, and others recruiting him, and got the KU offer, I figured that would still be the one to beat. Baylor did it.

I can't stand Baylor as an institution and will always root against them, but Drew has indeed built a powerhouse there.

Zink likes this

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gavyn Elkamil - G, 6-5, 190 - Pittsburg, KS (Link Year Prep, MO) - AAU: Team Carroll - Twitter: @gavynelkamil
Offers: Saint Louis, Tulsa, Southeast Missouri, SIU-Edwardsville, Southern Miss, Towson, Northern Colorado, Kansas City.

Interest: Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Boston College, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Wichita State, Temple, Utah State, Boise State, Portland State, Princeton, Cornell, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Illinois State, Morehead State, Austin Peay, Texas-San Antonio, Central Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, UNC-Greensboro, Southeastern Louisiana, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, UC-Davis, Cal State-Fullerton, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, Northeastern, UNC-Wilmington, Montana State, Liberty, Lipscomb, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, South Carolina State, Grambling State.

Latest News: Elkamil received an offer from SLU. (7/21/20)

Scouting Report: Elkamil is a versatile, skilled guard with a well-rounded game. He scores on all three levels and has a smooth, athletic style. He's got a quick, consistent shot, handles the ball well through traffic, and shows leaping ability getting to the rim. He's an excellent rebounder for a guard. He's a lockdown defender who can guard multiple positions. He graduated from Pittsburg HS and reclassified as a 2021 recruit, taking his prep year at Link Year Prep in Branson, MO.

-He has played recent events with Team Carroll (currently playing as Carroll GoL1ve for some reason) and stood out. Put on a show at the Sunflower Showcase last week. To the point @3star_recruit makes, I guess coaches are starting to get comfortable that he can play at the next level and isn't just picking on tomato cans in rural Kansas. He also missed a big chunk of the summer last year with an injury. His prep year will be more proof of concept, hopefully. He was supposed to play with Woodz Elite on the EYBL circuit this spring and summer.

Lat year Demare Carroll merged his Missouri AAU program with Columbia Magic and L1veAction. GoL1ve is a clothing line owned by the guy that owned L1veAction Training.  

Pistol likes this

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Given Baylor’s past sins, which I believe included the murder of a teammate, and some other notorious incidents, it’s amazing to me they have been as they have been. 
The best thing for our recruiting is a strong dance run this year. 

Unfortunately, unless the NCAA changes the dates for signing NLI's, a strong run in the Dance this year won't help us get NLI's from our two main local targets, Nesbitt and Kern.  This assumes they will both sign in the early Signing Period, which I think is likely.

Couple Billiken targets at the MoKan training camp last weekend/this week.  Tarris Reed (playing up with 17U most of the time) and Larry Hughes Jr. (there but banged up with a minor injury).  Lot of Stl kids there overall...Damien Mayo from Chaminade, Matt Enright from WG, Thomas Redmond from DeSmet among others.