JT requests Release from NLI

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Not much doubt about the college loyalty of coach314.   He is a pure mi$$ouri lover.  

Hoping he's not really a coach with any influence over future recruits.   

Lol you would be wrong in assuming i am a Mizzou fan.  As i stated i will watch MU games as well as attend a few SLU games.  I know many of the local boys that are mentioned in these posts.  I don't have or want any influence over where they attend college.  I do hear things tho.  I hope everything goes according to plan for SLU.  Good to see the excitement for the program. We shall see how things go. I will save my comments on this subject for a later date.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I don't have or want any influence over where they attend college. 

Thank god

I would take French over Tilmon if there was an option. It seems those who are the tallest get higher rated usually. Tilmon dropped a lot and might have been lower if it wasn't for his earlier high rankings. Top 10 in 2018 is almost all PF and C so it seems those guys get noticed the most 

34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

What is Coach saying that is unreasonable?  There's a proven recruiter 90 miles away who has stated publicly that he will recruit players even after they have committed to a school.  Gordon is a 5-star recruit that every D-1 program wants.  We should be wary, but not paranoid, until Gordon signs with SLU.  It's a reasonable position.  

Great, thanks 

10 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I would take French over Tilmon if there was an option. It seems those who are the tallest get higher rated usually. Tilmon dropped a lot and might have been lower if it wasn't for his earlier high rankings. Top 10 in 2018 is almost all PF and C so it seems those guys get noticed the most 

French will have a better college career than Tilmon, book it 

41 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Mizzou owns the St. Louis media, especially with Cuonzo. You already have a thread complaining about it. 

They own the newspaper.  The good thing for SLU is nobody under 30 gives a crap about newspapers.  It bothers us over 35 because we rember when that was important.  It means nothing to the target audience we are recruiting.  

Now local TV news is different.  Those little two minute features that grandma can watch and all their friends can retweet are important.  With the ever tightening sports budgets in local news, where do think stations are going to send their people?  Down the street or half way across the state?  Where do you think FSN Midwest is going to send people to produce content for their station, website and Fox Sports Go? Down the street to the team who games they actually carry or half way across the state to a program they have no relationship with?  Guys like Doug Vaughn, Frank Cussamano, Kilcoyne and Hayes are who kids actually care about covering them.  They don't even have a clue who Hochman and Fredrickson are.

11 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I don't believe SLU is trying to get Tilmon anymore.  They tried during the early signing period.  SLU fans should be very concerned about Mizzou and Coach Martin...this year and definitely next year.  He has given kids a potential alternative to SLU and Illinois.  An opportunity to stay close to home and play in a Power 5 conference in their home state. 

For me, SLU and Missouri have the same problem. It is very difficult to develop rivalries in their respective conferences.  For the SEC, after Arkansas, there are no tiger rivalries.  Sure fans get fired up for KY, but KY fans could care less about Missouri.  And then Ole Miss, Miss State, Auburn, Vandy, UT, LSU etc, etc,...not very exciting but simply interesting conference games. Nothing like the days of KU, IA State, Nebraska, OK, OK State, etc. where the fanbase could reasonably attend these games.  And the same with the A10. After Dayton, which A10 schools are rivals of SLU?  To me, to have a rivalry you need proximity and then fan involvement and both schools inherently agreeing that their is a rivalry - they dislike each other.  I don't consider VCU, Duquesne or George Mason as rivals, just interesting A10 conference games.  No I am not advocating moving to the Valley.

Illinois has an advantage of playing schools from neighboring states, with long time rivalries, with greater possibilities of fan involvement.   Yeah, yeah, it's all about the money, but for me Missouri made a huge mistake moving to the SEC. Might as well be the PAC 12 or East Asia Conference.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For me, SLU and Missouri have the same problem. It is very difficult to develop rivalries in their respective conferences.  For the SEC, after Arkansas, there are no tiger rivalries.  Sure fans get fired up for KY, but KY fans could care less about Missouri.  And then Ole Miss, Miss State, Auburn, Vandy, UT, LSU etc, etc,...not very exciting but simply interesting conference games. Nothing like the days of KU, IA State, Nebraska, OK, OK State, etc. where the fanbase could reasonably attend these games.  And the same with the A10. After Dayton, which A10 schools are rivals of SLU?  To me, to have a rivalry you need proximity and then fan involvement and both schools inherently agreeing that their is a rivalry - they dislike each other.  I don't consider VCU, Duquesne or George Mason as rivals, just interesting A10 conference games.  No I am not advocating moving to the Valley.

Illinois has an advantage of playing schools from neighboring states, with long time rivalries, with greater possibilities of fan involvement.   Yeah, yeah, it's all about the money, but for me Missouri made a huge mistake moving to the SEC. Might as well be the PAC 12 or East Asia Conference.

I agree to a certain extent.  Hard to develop rivalries when you are losing to teams in your conference.  If the local teams can increase the talent level of their teams that will bring the fans back. You already see the excitement for Mizzou and SLU fans for the upcoming year.  Yes,  Illinois has the edge for the moment but they aren't far ahead.  If Martin and Ford can bring in a couple good classes they can even the playing field locally.  And if everything is equal i don't see STL kids going to Illinois imo.

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Now local TV news is different.  Those little two minute features that grandma can watch and all their friends can retweet are important.  With the ever tightening sports budgets in local news, where do think stations are going to send their people? 

Ha.  I don't think too many grandmas are tweeting.  And for sure they aren't reacting to every 18 year old's tweets. B)

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Going to the SEC was the smartest thing Mizzou has done athletically. Sure, the B1G might have been a better fit, but that didn't work out. 

Knox wants more $ than Porter got to attend Mizzouri.  Wow.  We all know that Porter is being paid $1.125 million to play for Mizzou.  Now, Knox has turned down $1.4 million to play in China. So apparently he wants more than Porter got.  Can Mizzou come up with the cash to satisfy Porter and Knox for one year?  This is getting expensive.

And what will be left for Tilmon? 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/father-of-5-star-recruit-kevin-knox-says-they-turned-down-1-4-million-to-play-in-china/

We know there is no interest is obtaining a degree from Missoury.  So it is all about the money, right?

On 4/11/2017 at 10:02 AM, cheeseman said:

He was probably under age.

Hiring a coach to get a kid to follow is not an NCAA violation.  Happens quite often actually.  Not a Mizzou fan but cannot criticize the school or coach for that.

How many on the Billiken board would be okay with that to get two top recruits like MP and DP?   I would be fine with that if the Dad was a legitimate coach.....and Mr. Porter is.

I have no problem with the "father assistant coach".   Each program is limited to 3 the number of assistant coaches.  If that dad is not a real coach the program only hurts itself by limiting their effective recruiting and practice/Game coaching.

I say the "crime" is inventing a non coaching position with the school to give the dad (calipari making milt Wagner the film guy) a paying position .    Or a duke player's parents getting a job with a neighborhood booster's company for a pay rate above the going rate.   Now those moves are worthy to ***** about.

Had crews hired Justin Tatum and fired Platt I would have had no problem with that at all.   However in hind sight we would still be stuck with crews if he had done that

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I have no problem with the "father assistant coach".   Each program is limited to 3 the number of assistant coaches.  If that dad is not a real coach the program only hurts itself by limiting their effective recruiting and practice/Game coaching.

I say the "crime" is inventing a non coaching position with the school to give the dad (calipari making milt Wagner the film guy) a paying position .    Or a duke player's parents getting a job with a neighborhood booster's company for a pay rate above the going rate.   Now those moves are worthy to ***** about.

Had crews hired Justin Tatum and fired Platt I would have had no problem with that at all.   However in hind sight we would still be stuck with crews if he had done that

I have a problem with it if the salary is not commensurate with their ability. Porter Sr is now one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. This hiring was nothing more than a bribe. 

Non assistant positions have regulations now about when their former players/kids/whatever can commit. I believe it's a two year period where anyone that is a coach, parent, or handler cannot commit tot he school where that person is in a non coach role. 

So SLU could not have put Justin Tatum in a DBO type role unless they did it 2 years before Jayson was going to enroll. Same goes for, hypotetically, hiring a Beagles coach to land any of their players. 

How Crews/SLU would it have been to hire Tatum as a DBO or other spot and then be ineligible for Tatum?

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I have a problem with it if the salary is not commensurate with their ability. Porter Sr is now one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. This hiring was nothing more than a bribe. 

That raises kind of an interesting question, how much would an assistant that brings you the #1 player in 2017 and a top 30 player in 2018 be worth? I assume Porter could have received similar compensation at other programs (not sure what his contract was at Washington, I know it was a multi year deal), so in that context I don't think he is truly overpaid. I don't know him personally, but had seen him interviewed by Brett Ledbetter and came away really impressed. He and his wife have raised an impressive family, so I tend to think the qualities are there for him to be a successful basketball coach. We are talking about men who have reached the pinnacle of the physical education field after all, so who is really under qualified for that?

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

A bribe is an offering of payment to get away with something improper.  Hiring Michael Porter Sr. as an assistant coach with the likelihood that his highly-talented sons will commit is not covering anything up.  It's payment for legitimate services.  They made a high bid in order to stave off other bidders.  Hate Missouri all you want and talk as much trash as you want about "SPUMAC," but stop trying to paint the situation as unethical, because it simply is not.

Justin Tatum would have been. The best coach on the staff (including crews) had crews hired him.   There would have been no reason to put Tatum in a non coaching position like the DBO