Ford Rumors Per Slaten?

mrjoelabs

50 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I am extremely pleased with Coach Ford to date.  He has exceeded my expectations to date.  We are much farther toward our rebuilding goals to date than I had expected.  With that said, he had always recruited well where ever he went.  Even at Oklahoma State, he recruited very well.  He was let go at OSU not due to lack of recruiting, lack of energy, lack of effort or by other issues such as his being the victim of a budget crisis, change of President, fair or unfair scandal, etc.  In short, Ford did not win enough games against the best teams and in the Tournament while competing in the Big XII with all the advantages of great facilities, budgets, staff, etc. Even after he wins, and wins big here at SLU, there will be skepticism and fear of hiring him.  Some will say, "yes he won at SLU in the A10 but the A10 is not on the level of the Power 5 conferences and that he has had already proven he cannot win at the Power 5 level."  Leaving prior to winning, and winning big here at SLU, will make it even worse.

Further, Ford is still quite young and does not need to jump quickly - time is on his side. Also, if he jumps now without being able to coach his recruiting talent, loyalty questions will hurt even his best asset -- recruiting -- unless he were hired by Duke or Kentucky -- and last I heard, those spots are not open and that there other good candidates out there rather than the guy who landed Goodwin and French.   Finally, why would he want to step down a level by going to Mizzou?  See Frank Haith.:D

I think Ford won enough games to keep his job at OSU, the number of NCAA Tourney appearances was probably good enough to stay a while longer - his downfall was his lack of success once he got to the Dance.

Agree that Ford is young and there is no need for him to jump quickly. The idea that anti-SLU and/or pro-SPUMAC folks are floating this out there is a sign that they are scared of what Ford has been able to accomplish on the recruiting trail. 

No reason that Ford can't have a good long run at SLU. He has already had his bite of the Power 5 apple. It's not always all that it is cracked up to be. Ford can settle in nicely here and dominate the A-10 competition with superior recruiting. He can have a lot of job security and have a long successful run here. Few and Marshall have had plenty of opportunities to jump to the Power 5, but have found plenty of happiness and success where they are at. Greg McDermott is an example of a guy who made the jump to Power 5, got fired and has now settled in nicely where he is at. With all the excellent recruiting going on, Ford is not going to be in a hurry to leave. RM showed that you can build a Top 25 program right here. No reason Ford can't do the same.

I shouldn't have responded to the troll who started the thread, but oh well...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless his persona as a family man is a complete act, he's not going anywhere for at least a few years.  He was fired from OSU, so he had no choice but to move his family.  Now his family is settled in in a new city and his kids are in their new schools.  He is not going to uproot them again after one year.

Also, he worked his ass off to get these next two recruiting classes.  Why would he start over with that process somewhere else and never get a chance to coach to the kids he recruited?  I can't imagine anyone putting themselves through coaching this team this year, knowing that you have studs coming in next year, and then leaving.

If he leaves, it will be for a major program, not a rebuild.

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I am extremely pleased with Coach Ford to date.  He has exceeded my expectations to date.  We are much farther toward our rebuilding goals to date than I had expected.  With that said, he had always recruited well where ever he went.  Even at Oklahoma State, he recruited very well.  He was let go at OSU not due to lack of recruiting, lack of energy, lack of effort or by other issues such as his being the victim of a budget crisis, change of President, fair or unfair scandal, etc.  In short, Ford did not win enough games against the best teams and in the Tournament while competing in the Big XII with all the advantages of great facilities, budgets, staff, etc. Even after he wins, and wins big here at SLU, there will be skepticism and fear of hiring him.  Some will say, "yes he won at SLU in the A10 but the A10 is not on the level of the Power 5 conferences and that he has had already proven he cannot win at the Power 5 level."  Leaving prior to winning, and winning big here at SLU, will make it even worse.

Further, Ford is still quite young and does not need to jump quickly - time is on his side. Also, if he jumps now without being able to coach his recruiting talent, loyalty questions will hurt even his best asset -- recruiting -- unless he were hired by Duke or Kentucky -- and last I heard, those spots are not open and that there other good candidates out there rather than the guy who landed Goodwin and French.   Finally, why would he want to step down a level by going to Mizzou?  See Frank Haith.:D

SLU may be pleased but is Travis happy with SLU? With the administration? That I can't answer 

14 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

Ford will never be the head coach at UK. Any discussion around that idea is a waste of time.

Also, Slaten is a total clown. 

-okay, I'll bite, who follows Calipari and when? when we get our version of Hayward, Howard and Mack and go to back to back final 4's, only we will win, I don't see it as far fetched :wub:

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Surely somebody has had the talk with Pestello about funding for ice cream cones and movable practice baskets by now.

I think the new SLU President is quite a basketball fan and understands the value of having a top level program when it comes to things like donations and applications.  He was at many games last year and saw the trainwreck.  He has been at just about every home game this year and sees the players sitting across the court from him in dark blue warmups and knows what is possible next year with the "bench" this year and the new recruits.   I think he knows as well as anybody that ticket sales next year and thereafter will far surpass this year.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

SLU may be pleased but is Travis happy with SLU? With the administration? That I can't answer 

He does not like the losing--no surprise. But he is very happy with the administration and is very anxious to get his recruits on the floor next year and the year after. Anybody who listens to or reports on what was purportedly said by Slaten--and believes any of that garbage is an idiot!

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

seriously?   you all listen to slaten "news"?

Kevin Slaten is the Jim Crews of broadcasting.

(this is a jest and not meant to imply that Crews is actually a narcissistic jackoff who should suck eggs, just that Crews was a crappy recruiter and coach and made the ultimate sin of hiring Jim Platt... twice)

21 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

He does not like the losing--no surprise. But he is very happy with the administration and is very anxious to get his recruits on the floor next year and the year after. Anybody who listens to or reports on what was purportedly said by Slaten--and believes any of that garbage is an idiot!

Whatever you wanna believe. 

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Between this and today's P-D article from Hochman, the local sports media seems to suddenly be pushing Ford from SLU to Mizzou. Geez.

I'm also surprised to read that Slaten is on the air after all these years. His son was a year younger than me in HS, so I remember seeing them play a couple times and Slaten embarrassed himself, his son, and everyone in the gym with his behavior, screaming on the sidelines like a lunatic. He's also been disbarred because of his violent drunken behavior. He has no credibility and is a terrible person.

sounds damn near presidential 

1 hour ago, Billikenswin said:

I don't think Ford is going anywhere right now, but what is the expected completion date on the player's lounge?  That was a priority item he said he wanted when he was hired.

57 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Ford was fired from his last job and has 5 wins this year. 

I don't have to "believe" anything to know that he  be at SLU next year and the following year.

I don't think he will leave. My assertion was that I don't think TFord is super thrilled with the admin and to assume that a guy coming from a school where athletic department can burn money to a department that is notorious for being cheap is completely happy with the admin is niaive. 

2 hours ago, bauman said:

I think the new SLU President is quite a basketball fan and understands the value of having a top level program when it comes to things like donations and applications.  He was at many games last year and saw the trainwreck.  He has been at just about every home game this year and sees the players sitting across the court from him in dark blue warmups and knows what is possible next year with the "bench" this year and the new recruits.   I think he knows as well as anybody that ticket sales next year and thereafter will far surpass this year.

Yeah, I have been a big Pestello fan so far. Just trying to make light of why Ford would possibly want to jump ship at this stage.