Ford Rumors Per Slaten?

mrjoelabs

36 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look at all the times we heard about Majerus being less than happy with admin. Now think about Majerus expectations and Fords expectations. 

It is hard to compare these two. Majerus was a celebrated coach with a long and successful career, but he was old and very sick. In truth he was slowly dying with a bad heart and quite likely he knew or suspected this outcome quite well. Majerus wanted to maintain contact with the sport and the players he loved, but he needed readily accessible, excellent medical facilities. I think his issues with the admin may have been secondary to him given the magnitude of his problems. He certainly did not come to SLU as a career move, and quite possibly had an idea he might not be able to do the job of head coach for a very long time.

Ford on the other hand is young and is still testing himself out and building his reputation and career. His firing from OSU was not a good thing for him. He needs SLU to prove to the world that he is really what he considers himself to be, a premier coach. For Ford SLU is a necessary stepping stone to bigger and better things, and he has a definite need to be as successful a head coach of SLU as possible. This includes carrying SLU to the top levels of the NCAA and a possible championship. If he achieves that, the world is his oyster and he will be able to choose and pick his next destination and his salary. Ford is ambitious, but I believe he also cares a lot about his family, and young kids do not relocate well. I do not think he will think of leaving SLU until he has a sizable string of serious successes under his belt.

I may be wrong but that is the way I see these two men and the way they see themselves as part of SLU. I think we are fortunate to have Ford at this time.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-okay, I'll bite, who follows Calipari and when? when we get our version of Hayward, Howard and Mack and go to back to back final 4's, only we will win, I don't see it as far fetched :wub:

The easy answer is someone like Shaka Smart, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, etc. Obviously we don't actually know. Plus, Calipari will likely coach for quite a while longer. 

The point is that Ford doesn't check the boxes for a job like Kentucky. And nothing indicates that he ever will. Of course in a hypothetical world anything could happen. Logic tells us he'll never be in that realm.

HOW in the world would Slaten have a good source into Ford?  It's the craziest thing I've heard on this board in a long time.  Ford wants to leave for Kentucky.  Sure.  An idiot, even Slaten, can figure that out.  Ford is not ready yet.  He has to win big here first.   

Besides, wouldn't the chimney sweep at SLU have more credibility for having inside information than Slaten?  Actually, I feel sorry for Slaten.  He's one of the stupid people.