Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Man we are going to be a big 12 caliber team next year in the A10 conference. Expect NCAA tournament appearances every year. The part to look forward to is winning more banners and hopefully making it far in the tournament 

we can only hope. 8 more months till the season though...

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

If (when?) one or more players transfer after this season, we will have at least one scholarship open for 2017-18.  Based on Pistols info it doesn't seem like we're going after any 2017 recruits that hard, but we are going after a few 2018 guys.  Is it that unreasonable to think that Ford would rather give an open scholarship to Hines for one season and have it available for a 2018 player he really wants than lock in a scholarship for 4 years on a 2017 player he doesn't like as much?

exactly.  the last thing i want to happen is we waste a scholarship on a player that isnt good enough to contribute for four years.   give it to hines and go get another player committed for 2018 or 2019.

21 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Anyone know where we sit with Raynere Thornton?  JUCO kid has had a few triple doubles this year. Iowa State in the mix.

He said on January 4th that he wanted to trim his list "soon" but it still hasn't happened. He's wide open, as far as I know, with 20+ offers. I think we're just one of the pack. Iowa State (which loses 7 seniors), K-State, and Texas Tech seem to be the most involved lately.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

exactly.  the last thing i want to happen is we waste a scholarship on a player that isnt good enough to contribute for four years.   give it to hines and go get another player committed for 2018 or 2019.

Or give it to a talented grad transfer.... same effect, better player. Keep Hines as walk-on.  I like him.

42 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Or give it to a talented grad transfer.... same effect, better player. Keep Hines as walk-on.  I like him.

I agree with that, but I'd imagine it might be hard to really sell a grad transfer on coming to a non-power 5 school that is coming off 3 straight awful seasons.  Usually grad transfers are guys moving up from a mid-major going to a power 5 and looking for immediate success.

Further, even if we get one grad transfer, I think a lot of people are assuming we may see more than 1 transfer after the season.  If my memory is correct, SLU has never gotten a grad transfer, so asking for for 2 or more in one year is very unlikely.

Ever since the Soderberg days, I don't like the idea of "saving" a scholarship for next year, but in this situation I think it makes sense to essentially do that by giving it to Hines for a season.   Plus in fairness to Ford, in the Soderberg days we saved the scholarship because he failed to add anyone in the fall and spring not because we had transfers out after the season.

Getting thread back on the topic of incoming 2017 recruits.  The video of French is very impressive.  I do wonder if he'll struggle with foul trouble though.  If he's coming down with his arm(s) like that trying to swat shots away, I'd imagine some of the questionable A-10 officials will call him for fouls that may or may not be fouls especially as a freshman before he establishes himself a bit.  Ideally, he'll learn to play a less flashy, but more effective / less likely to draw fouls interior defense.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The lack of recruiting news on 2017 kids leads me to believe that the staff might have decided that a graduate transfer is the best option and if that doesn't workout then bank the scholarship for the 2018 class.

Or we can wait until the end of the B10 tournament and see if Groce gets fired

If a star player like Tilmon comes available in March, there will be all kinds of major programs after him. Teams that didn't recruit him earlier may have an extra open spot or may have a new need for him. Plus you have the schools like Kansas who were a major threat from day 1. I wouldn't like our chances. 

23 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Been a while since the Bills have had someone who can dunk like this...Mo Jeffers?

french.JPG

He kind of reminds me of Justin Tatum. More of a power forward super strong dunker rather than Mo Jeffers who was a SF and would jump over you if need be (ask the St. Bonaventure player about that one). Jamal Johnson would be another candidate but doesn't quite have his height.

4 hours ago, ACE said:

Not sure why Tilmon signed in the fall. He should have waited.

4 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Or we can wait until the end of the B10 tournament and see if Groce gets fired

Groce has the Illini back into the bubble discussion.  They have won 4 of their last 5 and have a mid 50 RPI.  If they beat MSU this week and finish off Rutgers, then they ARE in the discussion.  They would be 19-10 overall and 9-9 going into the Big Ten tourney.  Bracket Matrix has them in the Next Four Out category today.  Dance Card has them in as of today.  Youneverknow.

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Groce has the Illini back into the bubble discussion.  They have won 4 of their last 5 and have a mid 50 RPI.  If they beat MSU this week and finish off Rutgers, then they ARE in the discussion.  They would be 19-10 overall and 9-9 going into the Big Ten tourney.  Bracket Matrix has them in the Next Four Out category today.  Dance Card has them in as of today.  Youneverknow.

Since I think Tilmon is unlikely to come to SLU even if Groce is canned, I'd prefer he stay and keep the Illini in relative mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Also for Illinois to be Bubble team they would have to bet that there are no underdog victories in the other random conferences. Being 9th in the b10 shouldn't give you a NCAA tourney bid. They should be in the NIT

Illini would have to win 2 (Illini by 3 over RUT) AND go deep into the tourney to go Dancin.