Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This may be your dumbest post ever.  A jersey number, yes a piece of clothing = confidence in oneself?  Really?

Have you played competitive sports? Your number is YOUR number. Seniority usually gets dibs but if you're a competitive player you are going to want your number, and if a freshmen comes in trying to take it, they better earn it over you. It really isn't a big deal but if Zeke is handing it over easily that's not the best sign of him staying which is purely speculative but again no player would just hand their number over without a fuss. 

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Have you played competitive sports? Your number is YOUR number. Seniority usually gets dibs but if you're a competitive player you are going to want your number, and if a freshmen comes in trying to take it, they better earn it over you. It really isn't a big deal but if Zeke is handing it over easily that's not the best sign of him staying which is purely speculative but again no player would just hand their number over without a fuss. 

I played competitive sports in High School and Base level sports in the USAF and I never worried too much about a number. If I had a number that was important to a new player, I'd have probably let him have it. Just wasn't a big deal to me.

36 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Yes I played in high school and college (DIII).  I could CARE LESS what number I had.  All I cared about was the school name on the front. 

"Zeke doesn't have too much confidence in himself "  No No No. 

50 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Wowzers you played the U EVER PLAY SPORTS card...

8 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Well, this is leading a mature, insightful, and, frankly, a healthy debate amongst the faithful.  Please, let us continue to dissect the inner workings of Number Selection!

Oops, didn't think posting that tweet would lead to this.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:35 AM, billiken_roy said:

Jerry Meyer flipped his crystal ball prediction for Tilmon to Mizzou. Makes it seem like Walker not returning to Illinois is the trending opinion.

fwiw I think he also switched to slu back when that was a thing too

Damn Porter and Tilmon same team. our state could have 2 top 10 recruiting classes spread over next 2 years has to be a first.

On Mon Mar 20 2017 at 3:45 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

They bash you so much on this board, but you totally nailed this one. You were thinking like a high school/college kid and many cannot relate to that mentality

1 minute ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

They bash you so much on this board, but you totally nailed this one. You were thinking like a high school/college kid and many cannot relate to that mentality

They honestly mocked me recently because of my generation and being sensitive, but they seem like the people that want their safe space. 

On 3/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, gobillsgo said:

To be fair, essentially no one thinks it is a big deal except for our resident 13 year old.

Yea no biggie

On 3/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Oops, didn't think posting that tweet would lead to this.

No you unintentionally predicted a transfer. Thank you for the information! 

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The number became available for Goodwin because Moore communicated that he was leaning towards leaving; I doubt the program ripped the number away from him to offer to another player.  Jersey numbers can't be that important.

That's obvious now, but it's not what was posted by Gloryday. 

On 3/20/2017 at 5:12 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Honestly if it were any other number i wouldn't care but this is basketball and that number isn't 23... of course everyone wants to have it

On 3/20/2017 at 3:45 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Your number is YOUR number. Seniority usually gets dibs but if you're a competitive player you are going to want your number, and if a freshmen comes in trying to take it, they better earn it over you. It really isn't a big deal but if Zeke is handing it over easily that's not the best sign of him staying which is purely speculative but again no player would just hand their number over without a fuss. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

That's obvious now, but it's not what was posted by Gloryday. 

What did I miss?

On 3/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Thats pretty savage if Zeke is still on this team next year

On 3/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

That shows to me that Zeke doesn't have too much confidence in himself. I don't know about you but I wouldn't have a freshmen take my number, especially someone I would "compete" for playing time with

On 3/20/2017 at 3:45 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

On 3/20/2017 at 5:12 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Honestly if it were any other number i wouldn't care but this is basketball and that number isn't 23... of course everyone wants to have it

There's what you said.  You focused your discussion on Zeke having his number taken by a Freshman, not that his number opened up because he was transferring. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

. It really isn't a big deal but if Zeke is handing it over easily that's not the best sign of him staying which is purely speculative but again no player would just hand their number over without a fuss. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

There's what you said.  You focused your discussion on Zeke having his number taken by a Freshman, not that his number opened up because he was transferring. 

What are you missing? I bolded it for you.