GDT Billikens VS the state of Chicago practice game

CBFan

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

There is also a strangely scheduled game in the middle of the conference games vs north Carolina AT&T

The Agricultural and Technical State University of North Carolina aka N.C. A&T is actually worse than we are. So we might go 4-26.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last year's team, with Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, Bartley, Jolly and Crews was better than this year's team with Moore, Johnson, Welmer and Coach Ford.  The constants are of course Agbeko, Crawford, Bishop, Gillmann, Hines, Neufeld and Roby. 

Crawford is a shadow of his former self and none of the other constants have improved. But nobody could seriously claim Crews' coaching would somehow make this team better if he was still around.

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last year's team, with Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, Bartley, Jolly and Crews was better than this year's team with Moore, Johnson, Welmer and Coach Ford.  The constants are of course Agbeko, Crawford, Bishop, Gillmann, Hines, Neufeld and Roby. 

Yacoubou, yarbrough and miles were better than anyone we currently have playing.  Bartley was a better shooter than anyone we currently have.  

The problems this year are not Ford's doing.  They were caused by your hero, Jimmy Crews. 

23 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I know today was bad... But we have seen a lot worse as Billiken fans (with better teams) 

No we haven't.   this is the worst of billiken basketball in my 40 years of being a billiken fan 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No we haven't.   this is the worst of billiken basketball in my 40 years of being a billiken fan 

Et tu, Roy? What about a loss to McKendree? (Yes, kiddies, that happened, back in days of yore.) Or losing to UMSL and SIUE in the same season? 

It may not have been worse, but it's certainly been as bad. And nobody punched the coach at practice last year. :) 

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

How much is the player and how much is on Ford

We try to feed the post but not much good comes from it, so we try to free up open shooters and the shots don't fall. We do seem to score a basket or two each game off of under the goal inbounds plays so that's an improvement. We press a little and play zone which is more than Crewsplatt would do, so he's obviously trying to find a way to compete. Can't put any of this on Coach Ford. No post players to speak of and shooters not hitting and Xs and Os don't mean much.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

How much is the player and how much is on Ford

I don't know if you can really blame either.  It isn't the kids' fault they are not talented enough to be starters at this level and it isn't Ford's fault that the roster was loaded with these kids.  This is what a team looks like when your best players would be the sixth guy on a decent team.  

if Kyle Cassity was on this roster he would be the best player by a large margin.

54 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Yacoubou, yarbrough and miles were better than anyone we currently have playing.  Bartley was a better shooter than anyone we currently have.  

The problems this year are not Ford's doing.  They were caused by your hero, Jimmy Crews. 

seems true enough but do we know if all the returners that transferred did so on there own or did they get a nudge from TF? It seems if we had any of the 3 here they'd be starting. not sure but would seem that Ford more likely to decide who are his best and stick with them than JC showed us the last 2 years. I think both of those teams would have done better if he just stuck with a steady lineup. Boy I only got to hear Bob and Earl at half time and the last play on radio but almost glad I didn't witness anymore. so bad we are that a win which could be a third of our season total still's a bummer.

21 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Et tu, Roy? What about a loss to McKendree? (Yes, kiddies, that happened, back in days of yore.) Or losing to UMSL and SIUE in the same season? 

It may not have been worse, but it's certainly been as bad. And nobody punched the coach at practice last year. :) 

At least with ekkertime we had a David burns or Calvin Henderson to watch and entertain us.   this is nothing.   today I watched the cheerleaders and band as much as the game.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Crawford is a shadow of his former self and none of the other constants have improved. But nobody could seriously claim Crews' coaching would somehow make this team better if he was still around.

This is interesting (by the way I agree with you)  People couldn't wait for ML and MB to transfer - who needs them they are terrible  some said.  When it was pointed out that we still had to play this season and we needed players they would say - don't worry we will be fine without them.  I was disappointed when MB left I thought we would miss him and we seem to.  MY - he was getting to be a head case and look at what happened at IL State so maybe it was better that he moved on.  Now I agree we may be better by using these schollies to upgrade but then we can not complain about how weak the team is.  As far as Bishop goes, he will fine as a role player but as someone said earlier maybe he won't want that role - who knows.  We are still short on guards for next year so don't be too quick to make us even more shorter.