Odds for staying/ replacing??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling May will tell Crews that he can either be fired or retire, Crews rides off into the sunset with some sort of parachute financially. Budget for the new head man should be around 800-850k. That budget should be just fine for the candidate that would consider SLU an upgrade over their current position. Only wildcard is if the good Doc C ponies up additional funds to push the budget to 1mil, then that will open more doors obviously. But I will stick with a coach in the 800-850 range.

I hear we have 1 mil per to spend on a new coach.

Besides the horrible record the last couple years is the even scarier thought that IF Crews is retained, there is absolutely no way they can recruit any semblance of a D-1 college basketball player. He will be even more of a lame duck coach than he is now, so what talented high school player would even think of committing to SLU? A new coach is going to get a 5-year deal so the recruit knows that, in theory, the coach that recruits him will be here when he graduates. Crews has no selling points. What's he going to say to a recruit? "Our team is awful and I'll only be around for another year or so, and who knows after that...but we do have a nice arena."

Every year that Crews remained past last year added an extra 2 years onto any rebuild project.

True enough. If he gets one more year that's another lost year or two of recruiting. Both 17 and 18 classes. And with what we currently have and coming in, you're burying his replacement with. 4-6 year rebuild, unless his name is Majerus II.

70% Chance of Retention due to financial concerns

I agree w/ Doc B no way is SLU ponying up $2 or any SLU Booster.

I think next coach is probably $500-$700K range which doesn't mean we'll get a bad coach just not a slam dunk big name which I don't really know of a plausible one right now anyway.

If they don't go after Diener, I support Darrin Horn former WKU HC, USC(e) HC and Marquette Assistant.

Currently an assistant at UT and they have really done well in Shaka's first year with some real key injuries in the toughest BB Conference. They are also recruiting at a real high level. I'd like to see the style change at SLU to an uptempo attacking offense and pressure D. He took WKU to Sweet 16 and recruited a top 20 class to USC(e) but then fizzled. It's a tough place for FB and BB. He has an excellent academic track record. That excellent source Wikipedia reports that Scott Cherry High Point and Archie Miller are from his coaching tree. So maybe he'd own Dayton?

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/4/6/8356045/darrin-horn-texas-longhorns-shaka-smart-coaching-staff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrin_Horn

-I see the title of the thread, but prefer an up or down vote

-for those giving themselves wiggle room by saying there is a chance Crews returns, what or why?

-if ADept incompetence, I understand

I said 90% (as my guess) he's gone, leaving 10% chance he stays. I figure that's enough to account for potential cluelessness and incompetence by the AD, financial issues, and the fact that we have no track record to consider with Pestello, so there's uncertainty there.

$500K :lol::lol:

Maybe Bronson will stay for that chump change.

People are delusional about the costs of top flight D1 ball. 1mm is a pretty normal pay at this point.

Quality men's hoops pay for themselves. Schools pay this money because they get it back. Investing in a coach is far more important than facilities. The return on investment is also far higher with a coach, if you make and are willing to pay for the right hire.

The idea that a future successful coach will accept less than Crews with this product is making right now is delusional. 500k means we've given up. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

People are delusional about the costs of top flight D1 ball. 1mm is a pretty normal pay at this point.

Quality men's hoops pay for themselves. Schools pay this money because they get it back. Investing in a coach is far more important than facilities. The return on investment is also far higher with a coach, if you make and are willing to pay for the right hire.

The idea that a future successful coach will accept less than Crews with this product is making right now is delusional. 500k means we've given up. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Is it really? Only 39 of 68 Tournament Coaches made $1M or more last season.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Now why would SLU pay $1M for an up and comer HC or a current assistant right now? If X Coach is only at $1.1M? How bout sign them to $500-$700K if they have success you can renegotiate no reason to go for $1M right now? Let's say you wanted Ben Jacobsen N Iowa he's making $550K right now offer $650K to $700K that might be enough to lure him away. Assuming that SLU is some what cash strapped by a buy out then this is a likely route.

He's gone, unless May and Pestello want to have an empty arena next year. Pay 800k - 1M and good a young energetic coach like Kelsey or Jacobsen. Let them clean up this cluster and move on.

We should be willing to pay at least what Crews is getting. SLU can put together a compelling salary to get someone who WILL succeed.. the question is if we want to.

The program still has several years of NCAA tournament revenue earned from 6 NCAA tournament games played in 2012-2014.

You make a move now. Cut your losses with Crews, and get someone in here who can string some recruiting classes together before season ticket holders start jumping ship en masse.

Chris May knows this. The situation will be handled with class, but the dye has been cast for a while now.

99% chance Crews is gone. The 1% is the chance I give them to win the A10 tournament.

The interesting thing is that if Crews stays the transfer losses will be staggering. If he goes and SLU makes a quick move on guys like Crutchfield or some viable candidates it will stop the bleeding giving the staff a chance to retain the exisiting core of players. I am confident we will be proud of the product on the floor when JC is gone.

The interesting thing is that if Crews stays the transfer losses will be staggering. If he goes and SLU makes a quick move on guys like Crutchfield or some viable candidates it will stop the bleeding giving the staff a chance to retain the exisiting core of players. I am confident we will be proud of the product on the floor when JC is gone.

It will take the new guy, if indeed there is one, 2 years to get us back to competitive whether these guys stay or go. From what I've gleaned not many in the SO class are that committed to developing themselves into better ball players. They do seem like a selfish group more interested in personal stats rather than team Ws.

I'm taking bets on who's leaving. PM me for my address to mail your check.

Odds:

Crews 1:3

Platt: 1:4

Cheaney 2:1

Bronson 2:1

Jolly 1:2

Yarbrough: 5:1

Roby 6:1

Reynolds 8:1

Bartley 12:1

Gillmann 20:1

Bishop 22:1

Neufeld 25:1

Welmer 40:1

Crawford 45:1

Agbeko 50:1

MB 1:7

Oldguy 1:10

HoosierPal 2:1

Odds:

If you are serious about taking bets you could lose a lot of money as you are paying out way too much across the board. For example, your odds suggest a 25% chance crews will be back. No way.

Gillman suggests a 95% chance he'll be back. Given a new coach I could definitely envision scenarios where he doesn't return.

Even Crawford is a flight risk as a graduate transfer he may not like the new coach and decide to be a role player on an NCAA quality team somewhere. Certainly worth a flyer at 45-1.

If you are serious about taking bets you could lose a lot of money as you are paying out way too much across the board. For example, your odds suggest a 25% chance crews will be back. No way.

Gillman suggests a 95% chance he'll be back. Given a new coach I could definitely envision scenarios where he doesn't return.

Even Crawford is a flight risk as a graduate transfer he may not like the new coach and decide to be a role player on an NCAA quality team somewhere. Certainly worth a flyer at 45-1.

I'm hedging all bets through a bookie I know

Odds:

Cool! Looks like I'm packaged with Cheaney and Bronson. And here I thought you would tie me to Miles Reynolds.

To answer Doc B's original question: I'm going with a mutual agreement of a buyout. Call it what you want, a termination or resignation.

But then this board will go up in flames when the new head coach is one not anointed by the MBM's. According to Doc B's earlier posts, the school's finances can't take a major ancillary hit. Would other departments at SLU accept a $1,000,000+ salary for a coach in today's environment?

(Hey Doc B, how did the Brebeuf Braves do this year?)

Agreed on Crawford. What if he has the opportunity to go to a Purdue, Butler, Indiana for his last year to play in the tourney. Being a role player on one of those teams may be more appealing than spending his last year in at it's rebuild.

Crawford would be a leader here, albeit at program on life support. I also heard thru the grapevine he's got a girlfriend at SLU, and we all know how that can mess with someone's mind. I want him to stay but could not fault him if he opted out to be a rotational player w/ a dance team.

I have no inside knowledge but have spoken with people inside and around the athletic department. Themes I have heard include that our talent level is below most of the league which is unacceptable. Culturally it would be difficult to pay a coach at SLU $2 million/year but not impossible. There would have to be assistance from outside the program for that type of contract but it is possible for the right coach that is acceptable to those outside the program. And most importantly, the head of the university understands the value of a strong athletic program in terms of profile, engagement with alumni, etc. That could all be BS, but based on the people I have heard it from I choose to believe that the people that need to know and understand, know and understand that something needs to be done. I think it is also important to note that JC was happily retired before this gig. I have to think he could be more happily retired after. I am in the camp that he will "retire" at the end of the season.