Season-Ticket-Holder Assessment

SLUDrew

I was wonderig who among us would consider cancelling their season tickets should Crews be retained.

I have been a season ticket holder since 2005 and have stuck with this program though some very lean years. Going to the games has provided a wonderful bonding opportunity for me and my sons so there is certainly more than just "basketball" that goes into my decision to renew every year.

However, if things remains on the same path (ie the retention of Crews) I think I will cancel my season tickets as will the other 8 in my group. I love the game, as do my boys, so I am sure we will still go to a few games every year, but I have no interest in committing 18 evenings/afternoons to this program anymore if it shows no interest in making the product on the floor more enjoyable.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so frustrated after only 10 years and you call yourself a Billiken fan - how many loosing seasons during that time, 3? - not sure that qualifies for very lean years of suffering. However, I understand how you feel but for someone like you this downturn is really only the first you have experienced. Many on this board - including myself - have lived through multiple ups and downs over the past 35 years and never gave up. Now that being said, if the school does not act appropriately by replacing Crews and setting a new direction for the program by hiring a new coach this is what I am thinking about doing. I will only renew one of my season tickets and I will not donate to the Billiken Club at the level I have been giving at - I will join only at the lowest level. The reason I am contemplating this is to maintain my good status on the season ticket holders list so if and when they get better I do not lose my place in line so to speak. This approach will be a big savings for me and keeps me from having to go to the back of the line at this point Too much invested to walk away so quickly and completely. If others would do this then the Administration will see a big drop in season ticket sales - at least in half and probably a lot more plus they will also see a big dip in the money the Billiken Club gathers for them. I choose to not sit in the seat licenses seats because honestly, I have better seats then many who do. I did not do it because I was trying to save on the seat license but to have a better seat closer to the action at one end for sure but I have given the seat license cost plus more to the Biliken Club instead so the program comes out well. But if I had seats with seat licenses, I would simply move to an area that does not require them - you then get the same protest results. If enough did this then our voices will be heard loud and clear in fact maybe somebody at the school will read this post and realize they better do something to stop a mutiny before it happens. Always easier to keep people in the fold then to get them back.

Cheese, no one cares how many awful seasons you've lived through compared to other, obviously younger fans. Not acceptable is not acceptable. Not sure where "giving up" comes into play. OP's main criteria was IF Crews is retained. All bets would be off at that point.

I had the young alum season tickets which were, and still are, a great deal at $100/season.... if the team is in any shape watchable. Which it currently isn't. I have since moved from STL, but there's a slim chance I would spend even that much $$ if Crews was retained, almost on principle alone. This scenario makes me ill

Wow so frustrated after only 10 years and you call yourself a Billiken fan - how many loosing seasons during that time, 3? - not sure that qualifies for very lean years of suffering. However, I understand how you feel but for someone like you this downturn is really only the first you have experienced. Many on this board - including myself - have lived through multiple ups and downs over the past 35 years and never gave up. Now that being said, if the school does not act appropriately by replacing Crews and setting a new direction for the program by hiring a new coach this is what I am thinking about doing. I will only renew one of my season tickets and I will not donate to the Billiken Club at the level I have been giving at - I will join only at the lowest level. The reason I am contemplating this is to maintain my good status on the season ticket holders list so if and when they get better I do not lose my place in line so to speak. This approach will be a big savings for me and keeps me from having to go to the back of the line at this point Too much invested to walk away so quickly and completely. If others would do this then the Administration will see a big drop in season ticket sales - at least in half and probably a lot more plus they will also see a big dip in the money the Billiken Club gathers for them. I choose to not sit in the seat licenses seats because honestly, I have better seats then many who do. I did not do it because I was trying to save on the seat license but to have a better seat closer to the action at one end for sure but I have given the seat license cost plus more to the Biliken Club instead so the program comes out well. But if I had seats with seat licenses, I would simply move to an area that does not require them - you then get the same protest results. If enough did this then our voices will be heard loud and clear in fact maybe somebody at the school will read this post and realize they better do something to stop a mutiny before it happens. Always easier to keep people in the fold then to get them back.

I don't believe you lose your standing if you don't renew. I haven't had mine for about 5 years and I still get notification of my standing every year. Of course I'm dropping in places but I believe if I joined the Billiken Club again (which I was thinking of doing again anyway) I would retain my previous points

I have been a season ticket holders since 84 and have been going to all the games since I started attending SLU in 78. I agree with Roy. This is worse than the Ecker years. We were bad then, but more competitive in a vastly superior conference. The worse thing is there is little hope for a quick turn around. We have now put together back to back lost recruiting years. It takes a while to recover from that. If we don't fire Crews, It will be the biggest blunder in all the years I've been a fan and we've seen some big ones in that period.

I gave up 2 of my 4 this year because i thought they should have fired Crews after last year. If he is retained, I will give up the two I have this year. By the way I did the same when they hired Sodie. thought that was a bad decision, came back toward the end of Sodies term. I have season tickets except for the short term protest since Eckert years. Sort of a protest, but more than that, the games are supposed to be enjoyable, win or loose and I am not being entertained.

Cheese, no one cares how many awful seasons you've lived through compared to other, obviously younger fans. Not acceptable is not acceptable. Not sure where "giving up" comes into play. OP's main criteria was IF Crews is retained. All bets would be off at that point.

I had the young alum season tickets which were, and still are, a great deal at $100/season.... if the team is in any shape watchable. Which it currently isn't. I have since moved from STL, but there's a slim chance I would spend even that much $$ if Crews was retained, almost on principle alone. This scenario makes me ill

Some older fans think you have to go through some sort of right of passage before you can start demanding SLU not have a basketball team.

Can't we all just agree this is unacceptable and May must take action?

Can't we all just agree this is unacceptable and May must take action?

I can't imagine there is a serious Billiken fan left that thinks Crews deserves another year.

To answer the original question, I won't get rid of my tickets but the extra Billiken Club donation would disappear. When they call to ask about it, I would tell them exactly why.

I, and many others, have said this before but SLU simply can't afford not to fire Crews at the end of this season.

I can't imagine there is a serious Billiken fan left that thinks Crews deserves another year.

To answer the original question, I won't get rid of my tickets but the extra Billiken Club donation would disappear. When they call to ask about it, I would tell them exactly why.

I, and many others, have said this before but SLU simply can't afford not to fire Crews at the end of this season.

Agree, at this point I think it is just a question of when.

I've discussed this with my group. My wife feels like we should renew but isn't all that committed under another Crews season. I personally can't imagine throwing away money like that as it then feels like I'm contributing to Crews stealing money from the school.

Look, I said I understood how Drew felt. I just thought it was a bit of a quick hook after only 10 years to feel so beaten down especially after having experienced 3 NCAA trips and having a top 10 team a couple of times but tolerance levels are different for everyone. As far as long time fans thinking you have to have been around for years and years to expect a quality product is simply not true. All I think the point is before you go wailing and gnashing your teeth ad thinking poor you just step back and realize that others have been dealing with this issue for a long time so keep a perspective. I do think there is a consensus that Crews has to go. Skip, I will have to check in on about not losing your place - you may be right but I thought I was told when the new arena opened that not having continued years of membership caused you to go to the end of the line but maybe they changed it.

If there are those of you who are considering dropping your season tickets if Crews is retained, I'd recommend that you make some effort to notify somebody at SLU about that possibility. On the chance that they're oblivious to how much this debacle has caused the fans to sour on the program, they need to know.

If there are those of you who are considering dropping your season tickets if Crews is retained, I'd recommend that you make some effort to notify somebody at SLU about that possibility. On the chance that they're oblivious to how much this debacle has caused the fans to sour on the program, they need to know.

-not some effort, call or email to let the U know what the fans are thinking

-I won;t give up my seat, some in my group probably would and not sure they would ever come back, hope it doesn't get to that point

Look, I said I understood how Drew felt. I just thought it was a bit of a quick hook after only 10 years to feel so beaten down especially after having experienced 3 NCAA trips and having a top 10 team a couple of times but tolerance levels are different for everyone. As far as long time fans thinking you have to have been around for years and years to expect a quality product is simply not true. All I think the point is before you go wailing and gnashing your teeth ad thinking poor you just step back and realize that others have been dealing with this issue for a long time so keep a perspective. I do think there is a consensus that Crews has to go. Skip, I will have to check in on about not losing your place - you may be right but I thought I was told when the new arena opened that not having continued years of membership caused you to go to the end of the line but maybe they changed it.

Drew has been a season ticket holder for ten years, but a Bills fan for quite a bit longer than that.

The only good reason to renew (if Crews is retained) is to prevent the program from coming to an end. I doubt that this would happen in view of the huge investment in an arena and the repercussions of not having a team to fill 20 or so dates. Granted, this season and last have been the least fun of any year since I started attending games in 1962. At least if I stay home and watch on TV, I can leave the room, change channels, or simply turn the TV off. Unless changes are made, I seriously doubt that I will renew.

If we really want to keep perspective we should all realize we are posting on a message board about college basketball.

Well, the Rams ticket manager doesn't have to sell any tickets for a while, and the next time they will have to sell tickets, it will either be in LA or in STL with a better indication that the team is there for the foreseeable future. The SLU ticket manager has to sell tickets to this mess for a few months.

So, at this very moment, I'll go with SLU being the tougher sell.

Well, the Rams ticket manager doesn't have to sell any tickets for a while, and the next time they will have to sell tickets, it will either be in LA or in STL with a better indication that the team is there for the foreseeable future. The SLU ticket manager has to sell tickets to this mess for a few months.

So, at this very moment, I'll go with SLU being the tougher sell.

LA Rams, baby!

Drew has been a season ticket holder for ten years, but a Bills fan for quite a bit longer than that.

Thanks Box. That is very true. I was a student from 93-97 and I can count on one hand the number of games I missed during my years there

I should have clarified that point but, as some have said, there isn't, or shouldn't be at least, a minimum number of years one has been around the program in order to be considered a fan

I also agree that we need to make our voices heard. May needs to know how dire things are. He needs to know now that many stalwarts in the season ticket holder community will be gone if things do not change. It is certainly true that the action of not renewing will speak much louder than a threat not to do so but by the time that happens it will be too late

Who has a tougher job in St. Louis, the SLU ticket manager or the Rams ticket manager as everything stands today?

I'll have to ask my youngest sister. She worked for the Chaifetz ticket office when she was still in school (graduated in May), and now works for the Rams. Her main assignment before the Rams season was season ticket renewals.

But she wasn't around for this SLU season. I'm sure they can't give away seats anymore.

I'll have to ask my youngest sister. She worked for the Chaifetz ticket office when she was still in school (graduated in May), and now works for the Rams. Her main assignment before the Rams season was season ticket renewals.

But she wasn't around for this SLU season. I'm sure they can't give away seats anymore.

-is she being offered a move to LA?