Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't love about going with the assistant coach route is that it's no guarantee that they can recruit to a non BCS school and they are not proven in terms of X's and O's. SLU is in a position right now where every year removed from their recent success makes it harder and harder to sell the program. Not to kick a man while he's down, but Crews really tanked the program. You need to start winning. Do you go with a proven above-average coach like Stallings or do you take a risk on an unproven assistant with potentially higher upside but can also dig an even bigger hole?

I don't care for the AC hire either. It's a gamble. That said, when you look at all the good coaches in D1 they all started as AC's someplace, but I don't think SLU's in the position to take a chance on an AC at this time despite what stellar credentials he may appear to possess. How much of his success is due to the HC he worked under is a big question mark. Everyone thinks hiring a Duke AC heralds the next coming of Coach K, but that hasn't proven to be true, see Dawkins at Stanford, Amaker at UofM, Capell, and, of course, the Mighty Quinn at Mizzery. Izzo's AC's come to mind as well, with the exception of Crean's one year w/Wade at MU, they have nothing to write home about at this point in their HC careers.

At 55 Stalling is a good age for a SLU coach. Maybe he thinks about coaching here for 10 years to finish out his career. He starts grooming his AC in waiting in his last 2-3 years, and we may get some continuity. I won't say he's a Majerus caliber coach, but who else out there is these days? However, he recruited a lot of the same kids we went after and got them. That's definitely a plus in his column. Now, last night was a minus. Marshall schooled him. Bottom line, we could do a lot worse than Kevin Stallings. Not saying he's my first choice, but it wouldn't break my heart to see him at the Fetz.

I don't care for the AC hire either. It's a gamble. That said, when you look at all the good coaches in D1 they all started as AC's someplace, but I don't think SLU's in the position to take a chance on an AC at this time despite what stellar credentials he may appear to possess. How much of his success is due to the HC he worked under is a big question mark. Everyone thinks hiring a Duke AC heralds the next coming of Coach K, but that hasn't proven to be true, see Dawkins at Stanford, Amaker at UofM, Capell, and, of course, the Mighty Quinn at Mizzery. Izzo's AC's come to mind as well, with the exception of Crean's one year w/Wade at MU, they have nothing to write home about at this point in their HC careers.

At 55 Stalling is a good age for a SLU coach. Maybe he thinks about coaching here for 10 years to finish out his career. He starts grooming his AC in waiting in his last 2-3 years, and we may get some continuity. I won't say he's a Majerus caliber coach, but who else out there is these days? However, he recruited a lot of the same kids we went after and got them. That's definitely a plus in his column. Now, last night was a minus. Marshall schooled him. Bottom line, we could do a lot worse than Kevin Stallings. Not saying he's my first choice, but it wouldn't break my heart to see him at the Fetz.

The mindset of finishing out a career makes me nervous. See: Majerus' last recruiting classes and Crews' tenure.

Of course, Steve Fisher has done alright at SDSU

The mindset of finishing out a career makes me nervous. See: Majerus' last recruiting classes and Crews' tenure.

Yes, Steve Fisher has done a banner job.

That's why I added find a good AC who knows he's being groomed as the successor. He'll need to keep up the recruiting. Not sure Porter was the guy to tag as Rick's successor, but given Rick's health issues, May and he should have talked about a capable associate HC and hired one. If we'd done that, we would not have had that gap in recruiting.

Same here. Some are enamored with him, but I just foresee a bunch of slightly above mediocre seasons on the horizon with him here.

Considering the paat two years, slightly above mediocre sounds fine.

I think Stallings would keep us in the top 100 every year.

Based on that article, can't believe Martin is in any trouble for his response to that situation.

That could be because either they're keeping things under wraps, or because the coach or coaches they're looking at are coaching their respective teams in the NCAA or NIT.

Tom Izzo is still playing. I have a friend who's sisters hairdresser's cousin dates his barber. His barber said he was looking for new challenges and was specifically looking to go to a Midwest Jesuit school. I can't say any names of my sources though as one of them goes to Michigan State

Hey all — haven't posted in a while but still try to check in on the board. Thought the coaching change and the current discussion of Kevin Stallings as a potential candidate were a decent time to come back and share a few thoughts. As some of you know I'm a Vanderbilt Student and followed the team pretty closely the last couple of years, so I have a decent feel for Stallings from watching the team and talking with people around the program.

First of all, I would be surprised if he gets let go after making the tournament (despite last night's abysmal performance). A combination of gut feeling and what I've heard leads me to indicate it's likely, but not certain, he will stay at VU. If he were to become available, I think that Stallings would be a solid hire at SLU. Don't get me wrong, there are other candidates I would prefer (Bryce Drew being a good example), but I think that Stallings would put together quality teams at SLU and would fit very well in the Atlantic 10.

To address Taj, I would absolutely let my son play for Stallings. He is a little bit old-school and hard-nosed, but he seems to genuinely care about his players and he is a guy of high integrity. Vanderbilt can be a frustrating place for a basketball coach, especially when competing against SEC schools with bigger budgets, fanbases and probably easier academic standards in a lot of cases. However, he has done well here and I think the turbulence in recent years is more a fluke than an indictment of his ability to lead a program.

He is not a first-class recruiter, but I think that he is solid and with a good staff can perhaps even be very good (very talented roster this year). In terms of Xs and Os, he is very good at drawing up plays and coming up with good game plans. I watched probably 20 SLU games this year and about the same for Vandy and I think that Stallings would scheme circles around Crews and a couple other coaches in the A-10.

My main complaint about Stallings is that in the past 6 or so years that I have watched, his teams tend to lose the big game. Mental and physical toughness sometimes seem to be lacking, and certainly were this year.

tl;dr

Stallings would fit well in the A-10 based on his track record at Vandy and Ill. State. I think he could be a solid, if not spectacular, recruiter and believe that he's a terrific in-game coach. My main complaint is player development and ability to win the big game. I would give the hiring a B+/A- if it were to happen.

Not sure his dad being from St Louis is a major selling point but I do agree with what you're saying. Just not sure he wants to go from a 25+ win, fringe NCAA team to a team that has won 22 games combined the last two years.

I suppose that I don't see the Bills opportunity as a major rebuilding even with considering the last two seasons.. There are a lot of things to like about the opportunity. Some of them were mentioned in Skp's post above. I would certainly hope that our AD will find out if Coach Drew would consider discussing taking the SLU job.

Hey all haven't posted in a while but still try to check in on the board. Thought the coaching change and the current discussion of Kevin Stallings as a potential candidate were a decent time to come back and share a few thoughts. As some of you know I'm a Vanderbilt Student and followed the team pretty closely the last couple of years, so I have a decent feel for Stallings from watching the team and talking with people around the program.

First of all, I would be surprised if he gets let go after making the tournament (despite last night's abysmal performance). A combination of gut feeling and what I've heard leads me to indicate it's likely, but not certain, he will stay at VU. If he were to become available, I think that Stallings would be a solid hire at SLU. Don't get me wrong, there are other candidates I would prefer (Bryce Drew being a good example), but I think that Stallings would put together quality teams at SLU and would fit very well in the Atlantic 10.

To address Taj, I would absolutely let my son play for Stallings. He is a little bit old-school and hard-nosed, but he seems to genuinely care about his players and he is a guy of high integrity. Vanderbilt can be a frustrating place for a basketball coach, especially when competing against SEC schools with bigger budgets, fanbases and probably easier academic standards in a lot of cases. However, he has done well here and I think the turbulence in recent years is more a fluke than an indictment of his ability to lead a program.

He is not a first-class recruiter, but I think that he is solid and with a good staff can perhaps even be very good (very talented roster this year). In terms of Xs and Os, he is very good at drawing up plays and coming up with good game plans. I watched probably 20 SLU games this year and about the same for Vandy and I think that Stallings would scheme circles around Crews and a couple other coaches in the A-10.

My main complaint about Stallings is that in the past 6 or so years that I have watched, his teams tend to lose the big game. Mental and physical toughness sometimes seem to be lacking, and certainly were this year.

tl;dr

Stallings would fit well in the A-10 based on his track record at Vandy and Ill. State. I think he could be a solid, if not spectacular, recruiter and believe that he's a terrific in-game coach. My main complaint is player development and ability to win the big game. I would give the hiring a B+/A- if it were to happen.

Forgot you were at Vanderbilt, thanks for the input

I will say this about Drew -- and this is NOT from any insider, just a hunch. And based on what I happen to know about the Drew family...

There is a lot to be said for school culture, playing by the rules, issues of faith even. I can tell you a great deal about Valpo, and the culture of faith on that campus--they are not kidding around about that. At Valpo, being an alumnus and his dad the coach, I think it's fair to say Drew has grown use to a smaller community, a clean program, and student athletes who, more or less, are committed to certain kinds of lifestyle, both morally and educationally. Someone claims he can do "better." Who defines "better"? In any case, I really have doubts about Drew feeling comfortable at a "BIG" school in a huge conference with millions and millions of dollars from unscrupulous booster-types. He may in fact wish to do "better" than SLU -- I have no inside info -- but what is better, and according to whom??

Majerus could have done "better" as well, by the way; and I can tell you from personal conversations with him, he truly valued the things that make SLU special, compared to other, bigger, "better" programs. He had his issues, btw; and some horrible things happened with some of those players, on his watch, no debate there. But when he talked about the people and tradition of SLU, and the Jesuits -- he was telling the truth, it really meant a lot to him.

I am suggesting that SLU may, in fact, be the perfect fit for a guy like Bryce Drew -- one who values certain kinds of community, which truly SLU has, with something special to offer. And it would be a step up, conference wise, urban-wise, and academic-wise. Plus a major raise -- what's not to like?? Drew could stick around a very long time, in that case...

Appreciate your thoughts on Byrce Drew...he is at the top of my list for potential candidates to coach the Bills.

Why is that?

Because Bennett and Romar just don't make sense given their current situations. Romar has a very substantial buyout. Bennett has a substantial buyout from what I understand. I don't think SLU has the resources to swing both the buyouts and then the substantial salary for either.

Martin doesn't have a signed contract and Vandy might be willing to let Stallings walk away from his. So I think they both are far more plausible candidates.

Couple more quick points on Stallings:

Will Perdue (Vanderbilt alum and current basketball commentator) was on Bernie's show today and said he could see Stallings as a fit at SLU and that SLU is keeping tabs on the Vanderbilt situation.

Secondly, Stallings has recruited a number of very talented players in recent years (e.g. Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins, Festus Ezeli, Wade Baldwin and Damian Jones) and when he has a quality staff around him has shown he can bring in very good recruiting classes. When Yanni Hufnagel, the top recruiter on Cuonzo Martin's staff, was at Vandy he put together a really good class. Same could be said for David Cason. However, I don't see Stallings being able to bring in somewhat of David Cason's stature at SLU, because of $$$. But there are plenty of other up-and-coming recruiters who might be able to fill a similar role.