Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still hoping that Vandy doesn't make the tourney today, they decide to move on from Stallings since its been 3 years since they last danced and he hits the market. Could be a really nice fit here.

Vanderbilt appears to be sitting right on the bubble, but I have been seeing them listed as out in most projections (now seeing them in on a few, so this could be interesting). I wonder if Vandy would fire him, I know there were some issues between him and the school a few years ago. I would be happy with him as our coach for the next handful of seasons. Pair him with an exciting young assistant coach who can recruit.

Sign me up for Otzelberger. He would be a home run hire and his ceiling as a head coach looks to be very high. Grant would be very good too, but we would likely have to wait until after the Thunder's season is over.

I like that otzelberger is also very active and vocal. Seems like a media guy who loves to talk and put the team out there.

That would be a refreshing change for the program and for recruits.

In a major market like this i think he would be very popular.

Grant and stallings would just be fantastic.

More excited than ive ever been the past two years. Pumped. Cant wait for next season.

Excellent move by SLU. Im loving the names being thrown around.

The names are not being thrown around by SLU but by fans. There is a lot of wishful thinking here, much like the coaches who were going to be fired and come to SLU per this thread (Romar, Crean, Weber, Brad Stevens.....).

Having been involved in coaching searches I've found actual candidates are far different then those the media and fans "report."

Not certain, but his wife played in the WNBA, and possibly she was playing for Seattle at the time.

Not sure of the connection between him and Romar, but she was already done with her WNBA career by the time he went to UW (played in Seattle in 2010.) Also does it help that his wife is Australian.

The names are not being thrown around by SLU but by fans. There is a lot of wishful thinking here, much like the coaches who were going to be fired and come to SLU per this thread (Romar, Crean, Weber, Brad Stevens.....).

Having been involved in coaching searches I've found actual candidates are far different then those the media and fans "report."

You think people in this thread are actually suggesting crean or Stevens are coming here? Can you link me those posts?

At the time of Crews' firing, my thoughts were essentially this: if we couldn't get Bryce Drew, Brad Underwood, Jerod Haase or maybe Chris Beard, or either of Anthony Grant or Herb Sendek, we should go the assistant coach route. From there, Otzelberger may have been the most intriguing of the assistants to me. To paraphrase Majerus, recruiting to the big name schools is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve party; it's not too difficult. Otzelberger recruited well to Iowa State.

There was one wild card to all of this, and that is the current power conference coaches who could become available or those who aren't happy in their current situations. Obviously you won't know their identities until they are either fired or SLU piques their interest. These guys add some serious juice to the existing head coach market.

Valpo didn't make the tourney, time for Drew to start talking to SLU.

Valpo has to be thrilled to see Frank Haith and Tulsa get in over them. I would be curious to know how some of the final teams were selected (like Tulsa, Vandy, Syracuse, and Michigan over Saint Mary's, Bona, Monmouth, South Carolina, and Valo for example). The more I look at this, the more I am scratching my head with some of these final selections, pretty hard to defend.

Valpo has to be thrilled to see Frank Haith and Tulsa get in over them. I would be curious to know how some of the final teams were selected (like Tulsa, Vandy, Syracuse, and Michigan over Saint Mary's, Bona, Monmouth, South Carolina, and Valo for example). The more I look at this, the more I am scratching my head with some of these final selections, pretty hard to defend.

According to some people on Twitter, the choices were made up largely before this weekend and didn't factor in KenPom. Mainly RPI and some other factors.

You think people in this thread are actually suggesting crean or Stevens are coming here? Can you link me those posts?

Look earlier in this thread. Both were on the "hot seat" along with Matta, Stallings, Romar, and a few others who would then be candidates and potentially come cheap thanks to buyouts.

Look earlier in this thread. Both were on the "hot seat" along with Matta, Stallings, Romar, and a few others who would then be candidates and potentially come cheap thanks to buyouts.

Crean was firmly on the hot seat. Things changed quite a bit from December.

So in a thread of over 1,000 posts you found a couple random ones from December and are trying to act like people are still saying those things? Give me a break. It's trolling and you know it.

So in a thread of over 1,000 posts you found a couple random ones from December and are trying to act like people are still saying those things? Give me a break. It's trolling and you know it.

All B-Laws find a way to be the most annoying people on message boards. This guy knows everything about every coach and has so much inside knowledge it's amazing.

This Otzelheimer sounds intriguing to me and might be a good choice. Now we have an article with some insight from AD May but you never know if the first choice will come here. If they handle it well we will know nothing until the signing is announced. Wild projections and dreams are just the fuel of message boards.

Two Big 12 openings now, Okla State and TCU. I am sure Underwood will be the top choice for both of those schools, Okla State being the better of the two. I'd be shocked if Miles left and there is no way we are going to pay him that amount. Hopefully we have this all resolved by the second weekend in April...

Two Big 12 openings now, Okla State and TCU. I am sure Underwood will be the top choice for both of those schools, Okla State being the better of the two. I'd be shocked if Miles left and there is no way we are going to pay him that amount. Hopefully we have this all resolved by the second weekend in April...

Maybe Travis Ford could pull a Leitao and return to UMASS.