Brett Jolly needs more minutes!!!

Creekeraz

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking a risk here, but I will say this: there has been a lot of impatience on here, regarding the bigs in general. And some of the mean-spirited stuff about Brett is not very helpful. I'm not a family member but I agree, we should lay off and be civil; and also be hopeful.

Bigs just take longer. You can look up the stats on guys like Vouyoukas or even Rob Loe, but as sophomores they were not very good. Conklin did very little early, as well (meaning, freshman year).

I really think our bigs will all continue to improve, though not as quickly as some of the guys on here would wish for. BJ has good attributes and his ability to draw charges actually does remind me a little bit of our old buddy Brian C. He will be very good defensively especially if he learns to do it without fouling half the time. AG can shoot and both of these guys together are lifting and growing stronger and more confident. To be honest, I felt last year early on that BJ would surprise a lot of fans. I was surprised, though, by how slowly he developed last year. So really, in asking for a little kindness and patience: I have been a bad offender myself. BJ may never be the scorer that BC was, but other parts of his game are going to be even better the next 2 years, so yes, he will get minutes.

That isn't a risky post. Bigs take time. It's true.

However, patience with young bigs should be granted to those who:

-are true bigs - i.e. have very large frames they're still growing into

-show some skill already - e.g. good footwork, nice touch, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.

-possess real upside because of some combination of the above

-show a commitment to getting better; bigs don't get better without a ton of strength and conditioning work in addition to the daily practice grind

Jolly shows none of this. He's undersized for both the 4 and 5 - he's more mobile than other bigs, but it's because he's not very big. He's not particularly skilled in any area, let alone multiple areas. He doesn't score, rebound, block shots, defend, draw many fouls, or pass well out of the post. He hasn't shown much dedication and is the biggest whiner on the floor.

Every minute we waste with Jolly on the floor, we're robbing another young player of his development.

This is an impressive trolling thread, gotta hand it to the OP, but don't be fooled into thinking Jolly is going to be a good - or even competent - player based on the first non-embarrassing game of his career (against one of the weakest possible opponents).

The most important post in this thread was box and won's request where to get the meatball subs at chaifetz arena. Won't somebody help him?

That isn't a risky post. Bigs take time. It's true.

However, patience with young bigs should be granted to those who:

-are true bigs - i.e. have very large frames they're still growing into

-show some skill already - e.g. good footwork, nice touch, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.

-possess real upside because of some combination of the above

-show a commitment to getting better; bigs don't get better without a ton of strength and conditioning work in addition to the daily practice grind

Jolly shows none of this. He's undersized for both the 4 and 5 - he's more mobile than other bigs, but it's because he's not very big. He's not particularly skilled in any area, let alone multiple areas. He doesn't score, rebound, block shots, defend, draw many fouls, or pass well out of the post. He hasn't shown much dedication and is the biggest whiner on the floor.

Every minute we waste with Jolly on the floor, we're robbing another young player of his development.

This is an impressive trolling thread, gotta hand it to the OP, but don't be fooled into thinking Jolly is going to be a good - or even competent - player based on the first non-embarrassing game of his career (against one of the weakest possible opponents).

Hope he puts this on his buliten board and makes you eat your words two years from now. YMHO

Actually, I have never commented on any of the bigs, but I will point out that Jolly, had three very smart plays the last two home games that were "assists" without being counted as such. On those 3 plays, he screened off the defender of a Billiken who was driving to the basket. I know those were probably not seen by the Jolly detractors, but on all three plays he received a thanks you nod by the player who scored. Given the physical weakness of AG and MN, I would expect Jolly's time to increase as the season goes on. I love how AG can score from 15 feet out, but he is just too weak to rebound against our early season foes so I don't give him any chance of getting better as our competition gets more difficult and MN is more of a project that I had hoped for.

I just think we need to be prepared for more, not less Jollytime, because he can compete stronger than AG or MN.

Actually, I have never commented on any of the bigs, but I will point out that Jolly, had three very smart plays the last two home games that were "assists" without being counted as such. On those 3 plays, he screened off the defender of a Billiken who was driving to the basket. I know those were probably not seen by the Jolly detractors, but on all three plays he received a thanks you nod by the player who scored. Given the physical weakness of AG and MN, I would expect Jolly's time to increase as the season goes on. I love how AG can score from 15 feet out, but he is just too weak to rebound against our early season foes so I don't give him any chance of getting better as our competition gets more difficult and MN is more of a project that I had hoped for.

I just think we need to be prepared for more, not less Jollytime, because he can compete stronger than AG or MN.

Good call out. He's done this effectively in multiple games. I remember him specifically clearing the way for MY on two occasions. Jolly also has that little Dirk fadeaway.

I'm not sure BJ will ever be more than the 8th-9th guy in the rotation, but he does deserve credit when he's doing things effectively.

If I'm being too harsh on a poor little 20-year-old because they're so helpless and innocent, I'll direct my criticism toward Crews, who recruited a player devoid of talent and has yet to coach him up to anything resembling basketball ability.

Does that work for you, Littlebill?

can we really get brett jolly enough minutes for the sides of his aluminum wash basin to rust through and crumble, allowing him to escape? that's a long time. might need randy to help with the math on that one.

Every thousand years
This metal sphere
Ten times the size of Jupiter
Flies just a few yards past the Earth
You climb on your roof
And take a swipe at it
With a single feather
Did it once every thousand years
Until you've worn it down
To the size of a pea
Yeah, I'd say that's a long time

can we really get brett jolly enough minutes for the sides of his aluminum wash basin to rust through and crumble, allowing him to escape? that's a long time. might need randy to help with the math on that one.

Every thousand years

This metal sphere

Ten times the size of Jupiter

Flies just a few yards past the Earth

You climb on your roof

And take a swipe at it

With a single feather

Did it once every thousand years

Until you've worn it down

To the size of a pea

Yeah, I'd say that's a long time

of course, like majerus, randy just wants to practice. doyle doesn't agree, though.

If I'm being too harsh on a poor little 20-year-old because they're so helpless and innocent, I'll direct my criticism toward Crews, who recruited a player devoid of talent and has yet to coach him up to anything resembling basketball ability.

Does that work for you, Littlebill?

Pistol.

Show some class. This isn't Tiger Board. Stop the personal attacks when anyone suggests something you disagree with.

Has Jolly proven himself to date? No. Other than the author of this post, is anyone else suggesting Jolly get alot of minutes at this point? No. Has this scholarship turned out for us? Not yet and maybe never.

At the same, your criticism of Jolly s unfair. When did Jolly ever declare to you or anyone else that he is a "true big" with a "very large frame" that he is "still growing into"? Did Jolly mislead SLU and Crews as to his height? Where do you get such crap about what a "true big" is and does? And for the record, height is not what is holding Jolly back.

And what do you know about Jolly's personal commitment to basketball when you write such crap suggesting that he does not "show a commitment to getting better; bigs don't get better without a ton of strength and conditioning work in addition to the daily practice grind"? Don't worry, I'll answer for you: Nothing. You know absolutely nothing sitting in front of your computer in Cincinnati.. Give the kid a freaking break. Criticize the results but not the effort.

And back to your repeated criticism of Crews: We get it already. At the same time, the team is 3-0. Let the season play out and let the kids show what they can do or not do. Maybe both Crews and Jolly will not be back next year... but that's for another day.

And BTW, Crews is not the first coach to "miss" on an athletic scholarship. It happens to the best of coaches (just look in SLU's backyard where RM and Spoon missed on several guys). At least make better arguments to trash Crews. Is it required? No, but you will come across looking smarter.

Pistol.

Show some class. This isn't Tiger Board. Stop the personal attacks when anyone suggests something you disagree with.

Has Jolly proven himself to date? No. Other than the author of this post, is anyone else suggesting Jolly get alot of minutes at this point? No. Has this scholarship turned out for us? Not yet and maybe never.

At the same, your criticism of Jolly s unfair. When did Jolly ever declare to you or anyone else that he is a "true big" with a "very large frame" that he is "still growing into"? Did Jolly mislead SLU and Crews as to his height? Where do you get such crap about what a "true big" is and does? And for the record, height is not what is holding Jolly back.

And what do you know about Jolly's personal commitment to basketball when you write such crap suggesting that he does not "show a commitment to getting better; bigs don't get better without a ton of strength and conditioning work in addition to the daily practice grind"? Don't worry, I'll answer for you: Nothing. You know absolutely nothing sitting in front of your computer in Cincinnati.. Give the kid a freaking break. Criticize the results but not the effort.

And back to your repeated criticism of Crews: We get it already. At the same time, the team is 3-0. Let the season play out and let the kids show what they can do or not do. Maybe both Crews and Jolly will not be back next year... but that's for another day.

And BTW, Crews is not the first coach to "miss" on an athletic scholarship. It happens to the best of coaches (just look in SLU's backyard where RM and Spoon missed on several guys). At least make better arguments to trash Crews. Is it required? No, but you will come across looking smarter.

im-rick-james-o.gif