Congrats to Porter Moser

brianstl

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Porter will be head coach here next year until he gets hurt, then Platt will take over long term and our program will die after his first game

As I've said before, I understand why Porter was/is a great recruiter. Very nice guy and very approachable. Anyone that gives a bunch of bums his credit card at the library annex and tells these bums 'drinks are on me tonight' has some charisma. Yes, I do have a man crush on Porter. BRING BACK PORTER!

As I've said before, I understand why Porter was/is a great recruiter. Very nice guy and very approachable. Anyone that gives a bunch of bums his credit card at the library annex and tells these bums 'drinks are on me tonight' has some charisma. Yes, I do have a man crush on Porter. BRING BACK PORTER!

I'd take terry porter at this point.

I always hate bringing the board back to reality on Porter, but it's funny that some of the same people who bashed Crews all season seem to think Porter is a good coach.

The narrative of Crews being a washed up clueless old man who got lucky is very powerful. 11-21 was like the fulfillment of holy prophecy. In our epic tale Porter plays the part of the savior hidden right in our midst. His losing record as a coach can be rationalized away. It's this year, his best, not those either 10, that reflects the real Porter. And if he falters after his upperclassmen graduate, well, another savior will come along.

I'm not convinced that a .500 conference record will change the Crews narrative one iota. The next chapter will be NCAA in 2017 or fire the coach. 11-21 was the fullfillment of prophecy. It will not be soon forgotten or forgiven.

It might be time reexamine Porter as a coach.

Really? Please explain. As a coach in the future for us? Or simply as a coach for another lower level D1 coach?

Look, there is a reason Porter became a head coach in the Valley (Illinois State?) and then again became head coach of Chicago Loyola. And no doubt he learned a few things under RM and also is a different/better coach having been an assistant at SLU all those years. And no one on this Board was pleased that he left SLU but nearly all have wished him well and hope that he succeeds. But the guy clearly has limitations as well.

Is Porter good enough to get us to the Tourney more years than not? Get us to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight? I say no. And for that, same questions about Harriman, Platt and Cheaney. Again, I say no. Now, if Cheaney remains our assistant for 4 to 5 more years, if Crews and company turn our program around and get us back to our winning ways/NCAA Tourneys, if Cheaney during this same time becomes our lead recruiter, our lead strategy guy and/or our lead developer of talent, then fine, promote from within. Otherwise, why do so many discount our program? Our next hire should already be/have been a D1 head coach as was Spoon, Romar and Majerus. While I doubt Romar could have gotten the job done here in the Midwest, there is no doubt he is a legitimate top D1 head coach.

Ah, prophets and prophecies. The problem with these is that historical prophets were never listened to, only charlatans were, and if you are to believe the bible many prophets had to suffer persecution and violent death. Their prophecies only came to be accepted much later or, or if they did not work as they had predicted the prophet was promptly forgotten and his/her end justified.

Sorry 3 star, prophecies do not work and prophets who are not stoned (in a biblical sense, a number of the current crop may indeed be stoned sometimes) or otherwise meet a bad end are not really prophets. The current, modern day prophets, the ones that spin a never ending yarn of disaster and catastrophe or fairy tales with happy endings are the media talking heads or the politicians. Their prophecies never work as they intended or they predicted, but that is OK. In this day and age everything, including yarns and prophecies, can be changed, they just spin their tale and look good no matter what.

The thing I don't get is how saying that Porter might be able to coach a little bit is the equivalent of saying he should be coaching SLU. When Porter was here I didn't think he should be the next coach. I still don't. That doesn't mean he is a bad coach. I don't think Porter or Crews are awful coaches. I do think SLU should have a better coach than either of them.

His Ramblers have reached the finals of the CBI. This year was Loyola's first post season appearance in 30 years.

It might be time reexamine Porter as a coach.

So you have said we could have landed a top notch high fallootin' coach for the money we spent instead of Jim Crews, now you say Porter Mosher? Implied.

24/7 you'll take any angle to criticize our fine head coach... hell, I looked at the soccer thread just to see if you posted anything negative about Crews.

So you have said we could have landed a top notch high fallootin' coach for the money we spent instead of Jim Crews, now you say Porter Mosher? Implied.

24/7 you'll take any angle to criticize our fine head coach... hell, I looked at the soccer thread just to see if you posted anything negative about Crews.

Where did I say we should have or should hire Moser? You just read want you want to read.

The fact that I think we might have short changed him some in the past on this board, doesn't mean I think he should be coaching the Billikens.

I might think Porter is not a bad coach, but that doesn't mean I think he is the guy to lead a program that wants to be a top 50 program year in and year out. There are many good coaches that don't fit that role. I don't think Porter or Crews fit that role.

Where did I say we should have or should hire Moser? You just read want you want to read.

The fact that I think we might have short changed him some in the past on this board, doesn't mean I think he should be coaching the Billikens.

I might think Porter is not a bad coach, but that doesn't mean I think he is the guy to lead a program that wants to be a top 50 program year in and year out. There are many good coaches that don't fit that role. I don't think Porter or Crews fit that role.

Nice try. Technically, your initial post did not directly say that we should hire Mosher, but that is what you meant. Then you couldn't stand it, Colonel Jessup, you blurted out that Crews does not fit in your response.

You do this all day, all night.

Like you stated the 2010 freshmen class was more accomplished coming in than our 2014 ones: that's debatable.

Hilarious, you cited Loe as being on the U-18 New Zeland team, population 4 million, the State of Missouri is 6 million. Depending upon what source, our freshmen class of 2014 has more 3* and 2* than the class of 2010. So going in, Crew's only true recruiting class was solid. (ESPN had us with four 3*'s and two 2*'s).

Nice try. Technically, your initial post did not directly say that we should hire Mosher, but that is what you meant. Then you couldn't stand it, Colonel Jessup, you blurted out that Crews does not fit in your response.

You do this all day, all night.

Like you stated the 2010 freshmen class was more accomplished coming in than our 2014 ones: total bs.

Hilarious, you cited Loe as being on the U-18 New Zeland team, population 4 million, the State of Missouri is 6 million. Depending upon what source, our freshmen class 2014 has more 3* and 2* than the class of 2010. So going in, Crew's only true recruiting class was solid. (ESPN had us with four 3*'s and two 2*'s.

I didn't say anything like that about are recruiting classes as a whole. I was talking about the bigs on the roster going forward outside of Neufeld compared to what Majerus brought in.

I didn't say a thing about Loe being on the u18 New Zealand team. I said he played games with the country's national team before he arrived.

Again, you just read what you want to read.

If you think the likes of Welmer, Gillman, Jolly were as accomplished than Conklin, Evans, Ellis, Reed, and Loe.............. good for you.

I have nothing to base it on, but my hypothesis is that if next year is close to as abysmal as this year, our fairy godfather will quietly step in and we'll end up with a Majerus-like hire that none of us saw coming.

I'd like to think that could happen, but those were some very unusual circumstances and I don't see the stars aligning like that again.

Nailed it.

That's why programs like us need extra bigs, diverse, rotate them in and out.

Conklin-Ellis-Loe (white) + Evans, Remekum, GG but they needed experience. Remember?

Counter proposal:

1) Keep Jolly

2) Jimbo transfer to another message board

Conklin, Loe, Ellis, Evans, Remekun and Glaze were all more accomplished bigs coming into the program than anyone currently on the roster or that will be on the roster next season with the exception of Neufeld.

Conklin was a two time first team all state player and broke Danny Ainge's school record for points.

Ellis was a member of Australia's u-18 national team.

Loe was a member of New Zealand's national team and considered the best player his age in the Oceania region.

Evans made all state teams and all Chicago teams.

Heck, even Remekun was an all region player in Texas.

I have nothing to base it on, but my hypothesis is that if next year is close to as abysmal as this year, our fairy godfather will quietly step in and we'll end up with a Majerus-like hire that none of us saw coming.

-i have spent some time since the end of the season trying to see if just this coach is out there and I haven't found that person to this point, but I'm still on the search

What type of coach would that be? A young up and comer or an older guy toward the end of his career? RM is very unique and it will be hard to find another one, but I like the idea of a guy who has had proven success at the non-BCS level, moved up and then got fired at the BCS level. Herb Sendek? Anthony Grant? If he gets fired, Rick Barnes? Or is there a young up and comer out there with local connections who is qualified to get a shot? Jamal Walker? Chris Carrawell? For every Brad Stevens, you can name a dozen young guys who haven't done anything after getting their first HC job.