Aaron Hines

Iggy

Aaron Hines played a season for the John Wood Community College (JUCO) before transferring to SLU where he is a Billiken walk on. His stats for the year he played at Junior College level are the following: Games played 24, points per game 5.8, %FG 33.9%, % 3 point 31.5%, %FT 67.7%, rebounds per game 2. I have watched him during the pre game practice periods at Chaifetz, he is small, fast, appears to move reasonably well and appears enthusiastic during the practice periods.

Dayton plays no walk-ons. They go six deep and their seventh guy, Bobby Werhli is a former walk-on who got a scholarship for this year only. Werhli did play with Frank Kaminsky in high school. The five yuks on the end of the Dayton bench cheer and that is it. That iswhy Archie's job hasbeen doubly masterful this year. Keep it up and he'll be gone---- off to greener pastures.

Amazing they play no walk ons. However, as you report Bobby Werhil was a walk on that got raised to scholarship level. Did he play as a walk on before the scholarship was given to him or not? Do you know if anyone else did play as a walk on at some point in time and was not given scholarships ?

Dayton plays no walk-ons. They go six deep and their seventh guy, Bobby Werhli is a former walk-on who got a scholarship for this year only. Werhli did play with Frank Kaminsky in high school. The five yuks on the end of the Dayton bench cheer and that is it. That iswhy Archie's job hasbeen doubly masterful this year. Keep it up and he'll be gone---- off to greener pastures.

Agree. Miller probably gets an offer from a down team in a top conference, but I think he'll hold out for a top job like his brother. Missouri ought to go after him, but I doubt they will be looking yet or that he would take it.

Ugh, I'd love to Dayton at this point, or even better, Xavier... miles to go it feels like

I just don't get why we aren't in the mix with teams like X and Dayton. I wish I knew what the secret formula is, I have a feeling it has to do with spending money though. Why don't we spend more? Why the hell did we build an arena that isn't big enough to host the play-in games? Why can't we land a frickin' 4 star player? Every time I turn around SLU is letting me down.

I just don't get why we aren't in the mix with teams like X and Dayton. I wish I knew what the secret formula is, I have a feeling it has to do with spending money though. Why don't we spend more? Why the hell did we build an arena that isn't big enough to host the play-in games? Why can't we land a frickin' 4 star player? Every time I turn around SLU is letting me down.

I agree but we barely sold out games when we were good. If the stadium held 15,000 it would be 2/3 empty most games

The key is having a long term coach who will make us a winner. Unfortunately Rick's illness and death kind of derailed what we had going for us. Consistent tourney appearances go a long way towards establishing the longevity of a successful program. Xavier has consistently made the tourney and has not really had many "down years," thus they are able to bring in better recruits and got into the new Beast.

SLU is clearly not close to that level yet, this season was a major indicator of that. What we need is a long term young coach who will establish a winning tradition. SLU has the facilities, SLU has a fantastic arena, we just need to continue winning and getting into the tourney. It all starts with a successful HC. Just look at VCU, where would they have been the last five years without Shaka? Not bashing Crews in this post, but what SLU needs is to hire a young and hungry HC who will be a long term program maker.

Xavier has had this success with anything but a long term coach going on 30 years.

Before Shaka VCU was already building their brand. They have managed to keep him but they won't forever.

At our level, below power 6 conferences any young coach with success will inevitably leave.

I agree but we barely sold out games when we were good. If the stadium held 15,000 it would be 2/3 empty most games

What happened to the "build it near campus and they will come". We can't fill it up for Dayton or VCU especially after this year

The key is having a long term coach who will make us a winner. Unfortunately Rick's illness and death kind of derailed what we had going for us. Consistent tourney appearances go a long way towards establishing the longevity of a successful program. Xavier has consistently made the tourney and has not really had many "down years," thus they are able to bringy in better recruits and got into the new Beast.

Money, or the lack of it, has certainly been a large part of the problem but having a President and administration actually suuppot the athletic program has historically been the biggest problem these past 25 years.

The key is having a long term coach who will make us a winner. Unfortunately Rick's illness and death kind of derailed what we had going for us. Consistent tourney appearances go a long way towards establishing the longevity of a successful program. Xavier has consistently made the tourney and has not really had many "down years," thus they are able to bringy in better recruits and got into the new Beast.

Money, or the lack of it, has certainly been a large part of the problem but having a President and administration actually suuppot the athletic program has historically been the biggest problem these past 25 years.

Hopefully Pestello will change that. I would also add that student attendance and school spirit is seriously lacking.

Aaron is a pretty cool dude. Very energetic even in an 8am. I have a class with him and he seems really enthusiastic about being on the team. One of the reasons I heard he was on the team is because he plays very solid defense. Which is what I would assume made Crews and Co. like him as a practice player. This statement was only heard from a friend, but I don't see why anyone would lie about it.

A program's success all hinges on the coach and how good a recruiter he is. What we've done is make it easier for a coach with the new arena and, hopefully, a bigger budget. JC had all those advantages plus a 3 dances in the row rep to sell, so let's see how it goes from here.

I have to tell you that considering how crappy we were this year I thought the attendance was great, including the student section. Additionally, the Chaifetz is a beautiful arena, very well done and the right size for the fan base. We have a lot of things to complain about this year, but bitching about the arena and the fandom are not among them.

ame="Clock_Tower" post="451386" timestamp="1427078179"]

Hopefully Pestello will change that. I would also add that student attendance and school spirit is seriously lacking.

+1 Lots of apathy other than the vocal minority blue crew, the new leadership at the prez and board levels = great. Isn't the new board chair a Billikens.com poster?