Bradley from the MD couch ....

Taj79

My concern on Roby was stated in a post 11/19/14 after the SIU game where he started to go off on the refs twice and had to be pulled back by teammates. Seemed a little out of place to me for a FR at the beginning of the season, possibly indicating some self control problems. The other possibility is the fact, as others have stated, that he just hasn't played well the past couple of games.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their lack of minutes? Roby is 5th on the team in minutes and Yarbrough is 7th. Doesn't seem like a lack of minutes to me, aside from Roby in yesterday's game which could be attributed to any number of reasonable factors.

I guess I'd just rather see both of them in the starting lineup.. so much potential there

I guess I'd just rather see both of them in the starting lineup.. so much potential there

I agree about the potential. But Roby has started the majority of games and Yarbrough is getting minutes. If they aren't playing much later in the season, I think this might be a good discussion to have. I just don't think we have enough knowledge yet to make too many playing time critiques IMO

To assume Roby, a freshman, is going to do anything to shut down a pre-season all american shooting guard when none of our seniors did so at home last year is utterly ridiculous. To think Bartley can hope to cope with a similar situation with a similar player at point guard is also absurd for the very same reason(s). The only good things about this game are experience for these kids and the hope the fact that this isn't a game in their home court might give us an extended chance to make it respectable.

I'd say something to f05 but ..... I don't care to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person (didn't want to waste time coming up with something original either).

To assume Roby, a freshman, is going to do anything to shut down a pre-season all american shooting guard when none of our seniors did so at home last year is utterly ridiculous. To think Bartley can hope to cope with a similar situation with a similar player at point guard is also absurd for the very same reason(s). The only good things about this game are experience for these kids and the hope the fact that this isn't a game in their home court might give us an extended chance to make it respectable.

Yep, this is basically this year's equivalent of the Duke game from a few years ago.

Was just writing something echoing Taj.

We have to shoot 60-70% from three to have any chance at WSU. That said, if I had to choose an A+ team to match up with, I would choose one whose strength is in the guard position rather than the PF or C.

Maybe the light turns on for Ash this week. Him at his best can compete with Baker and VanVleet. It's not fair to expect Bartley, MR, or Roby to do that at this point.

Anyone else think that maybe it was just a rest. A lot of games in a little time.

Years back you could say FR had to get adjusted to so many games in a week plus the newness of travel. But so many of these kids play loaded summer schedules at venues all around the country it doesn't hold water in the modern hoops era.

Years back you could say FR had to get adjusted to so many games in a week plus the newness of travel. But so many of these kids play loaded summer schedules at venues all around the country it doesn't hold water in the modern hoops era.

But the speed and duration of the game are different, as are the strength, skill level, and talent of the other players on the court.

Play nice. We won. Let's have some thought on why Roby earned splinters instead of minutes last night.

A lot of folks are holding onto the "Roby is the best of the freshmen" idea much in the same way that there was so much momentum for "Gillman should redshirt" narrative even though none of us had seen him play a minute of college ball. Roby appears to be the most athletic of our freshmen. However, the most athletic high school basketball players don't always turn into the best college basketball players. The college ranks are full of guys who's athleticism allowed them to dominate AAU ball, despite never quite having an understanding of the aspects of the game that become much more important at the collegiate level.

My prediction right now, is that Reynolds and Bartley will be better players for the Billikens over four year careers than will Roby and Yarborough. Roby and Yarborough have more God given gifts, but aren't displaying the understanding for the game that Reynolds and Bartley are. Reynolds and Bartley are also still raw, but I would much rather see a freshman struggling at times in the way they are, than what I am seeing from Roby and Yarborough. I hope they all turn out well, but that's what I am seeing.

Wow, that is a bold prediction Cgeldmacher. I am not sure what that is based on, especially in regard to MY.

This kind of reads, "Roby and Yarbrough are athletic and that isn't the Billiken way...they should just leave".

You were a big Paul Eckerle fan I am guessing... got a Luke Meyer poster above your bed?

A lot of folks are holding onto the "Roby is the best of the freshmen" idea much in the same way that there was so much momentum for "Gillman should redshirt" narrative even though none of us had seen him play a minute of college ball. Roby appears to be the most athletic of our freshmen. However, the most athletic high school basketball players don't always turn into the best college basketball players. The college ranks are full of guys who's athleticism allowed them to dominate AAU ball, despite never quite having an understanding of the aspects of the game that become much more important at the collegiate level.

My prediction right now, is that Reynolds and Bartley will be better players for the Billikens over four year careers than will Roby and Yarborough. Roby and Yarborough have more God given gifts, but aren't displaying the understanding for the game that Reynolds and Bartley are. Reynolds and Bartley are also still raw, but I would much rather see a freshman struggling at times in the way they are, than what I am seeing from Roby and Yarborough. I hope they all turn out well, but that's what I am seeing.

I'm not so sure Roby doesn't get it BB wise. He played on a strong HS team where he wasn't the only star. Point being he probably had to share the ball a lot and be a good defender. MY's HS career was different, since he was the man. Let's give them some time to sort things out and make the adjustments before we make judgements about their futures.

I'm not so sure Roby doesn't get it BB wise. He played on a strong HS team where he wasn't the only star. Point being he probably had to share the ball a lot and be a good defender. MY's HS career was different, since he was the man. Let's give them some time to sort things out and make the adjustments before we make judgements about their futures.

+1

The biggest dilemma Jim Crews is facing is who will run the team by playing point guard. Personally, I believe that JC is sticking as much as he can with his veterans -- Austin McBroom -- with the belief that we may stand a better chance to win now (OOC) as well in later (A10) and/or that he believes Reynolds and Bartley need to be brought along slower than quicker. In any event, I would prefer going with one of the two - and if needed, then going with both alternating, with us taking our lumps now and with the hope that early season struggles with yield end of season successes.

Just some observations:

1. Maybe the uncertainty and poor play at the PG is causing our team's offense to not look so good.

2. Maybe Roby and Yarborough, like the Tanner and Crawford we saw at the end of last year, need a strong point guard to run the offense better, to get them the ball at the right times and to give us a better idea as to what they can and not do. I would sure think most players (like Tanner and Crawford last year) would look better with Seniors MM and JJ running the offense than with our current players at PG.

3. Maybe the "best" players are our team to date (McBroom, Reynolds and Ash) look the best and are outshining the others b/c they are playing the PG spot, are handling the ball the most and are able to create their own shots.

4. Maybe the rest of the team, including our bigs, are not getting the ball enough, are not getting the ball at the right time and/or are not getting the looks/opportunities they do best with b/c of the point guard play.

Wow, that is a bold prediction Cgeldmacher. I am not sure what that is based on, especially in regard to MY.

I'm definitely way more of a MY fan than I expected to be. I think he's shown a lot for someone who's just a few games into his college career, and he has a high ceiling.

I'm definitely way more of a MY fan than I expected to be. I think he's shown a lot for someone who's just a few games into his college career, and he has a high ceiling.

Totally agree. On a team that is shooting 40% from the field, MY is shooting 59% and is our third leading scorer. He has shown me a lot.

I agree with you on many levels here, as the production from Reynolds/Bartley has surpassed that of Roby/Yarbrough to this point. And although MR and MB appear to be more D1 ready right now, I would argue that all the freshman are very raw. It's the undeniable athleticism and raw talent of DR and MY that, in my opinion, make them potential stars. If you drill a game plan into the head of these players enough they will naturally become more comfortable, but you can't coach the raw talent those two have shown flashes of. I can't remember a freshman we've had who can attack the rim and sky for rebounds like Milik has shown (maybe Willie reed? even though he didn't take off until sophomore year), or a freshman who's stepped into our situation and shown to be the best on-ball defender right away. Just give these guys time. This season should be devoted to improvement rather than results.

This kind of reads, "Roby and Yarbrough are athletic and that isn't the Billiken way...they should just leave".

You were a big Paul Eckerle fan I am guessing... got a Luke Meyer poster above your bed?

+1

Agree on MY. The starting lineup I'd like to see is BJ, MY, MR, AY, and AM. w/ MR at the point. I know starting's for HS but I think MY and MR bring an energy to the team that may stop some of these painful first five minutes. I know a lot of jumped on AM, but he can score. The question is can he do it for a full season?

I agree with you on many levels here, as the production from Reynolds/Bartley has surpassed that of Roby/Yarbrough to this point. And although MR and MB appear to be more D1 ready right now, I would argue that all the freshman are very raw. It's the undeniable athleticism and raw talent of DR and MY that, in my opinion, make them potential stars. If you drill a game plan into the head of these players enough they will naturally become more comfortable, but you can't coach the raw talent those two have shown flashes of. I can't remember a freshman we've had who can attack the rim and sky for rebounds like Milik has shown (maybe Willie reed? even though he didn't take off until sophomore year), or a freshman who's stepped into our situation and shown to be the best on-ball defender right away. Just give these guys time. This season should be devoted to improvement rather than results.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but WHEN this current group of freshmen reaches the big dance, I wonder if they will be better equipped than the previous group (JJ, MM, DE, RL) to make deep runs in the Tourney based on their size and athleticism. Once the strength and experience are added, we may be better able to athletically match up to some of the top teams you generally see the further you advance. Of course it also won't hurt when FBJT joins in 2016. ;)

+1

The biggest dilemma Jim Crews is facing is who will run the team by playing point guard. Personally, I believe that JC is sticking as much as he can with his veterans -- Austin McBroom -- with the belief that we may stand a better chance to win now (OOC) as well in later (A10) and/or that he believes Reynolds and Bartley need to be brought along slower than quicker. In any event, I would prefer going with one of the two - and if needed, then going with both alternating, with us taking our lumps now and with the hope that early season struggles with yield end of season successes.

Just some observations:

1. Maybe the uncertainty and poor play at the PG is causing our team's offense to not look so good.

2. Maybe Roby and Yarborough, like the Tanner and Crawford we saw at the end of last year, need a strong point guard to run the offense better, to get them the ball at the right times and to give us a better idea as to what they can and not do. I would sure think most players (like Tanner and Crawford last year) would look better with Seniors MM and JJ running the offense than with our current players at PG.

3. Maybe the "best" players are our team to date (McBroom, Reynolds and Ash) look the best and are outshining the others b/c they are playing the PG spot, are handling the ball the most and are able to create their own shots.

4. Maybe the rest of the team, including our bigs, are not getting the ball enough, are not getting the ball at the right time and/or are not getting the looks/opportunities they do best with b/c of the point guard play.

Excellent analysis. I truly believe that the best of other players can be brought out by a solid point guard, but a struggling PG can severely hinder the offense. Bartley and Raynolds are learning, we just need to give them time and we will see the results by the end of the season (hopefully)