Opening game sellout?

bonwich

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received an email from the John Cook School of Business saying they still had tickets available for Saturday's game and pre-game reception.

Same here. I doubt they are planning on giving the tickets way up high to the b-school people so some of the seats that aren't available for sale on the website may actually be held for this, and hence may go unused.

Same here. I doubt they are planning on giving the tickets way up high to the b-school people so some of the seats that aren't available for sale on the website may actually be held for this, and hence may go unused.

Not to mention that if the usual pattern holds, the center court sections will be 30-50 percent empty for the OOC part of the schedule.

Just spent 20 minutes on hold waiting for high level tech support, during which I counted 471 remaining seats on Ticketmaster.

97 in 205

43 in 202

No other section displays more than 30 "available".

We know they'll release more tickets between now and Friday. Additionally just because a seat is grayed out doesn't mean it is sold or allocated.

It would make sense that they'd give the appearance of limited supply (i.e. ~500 tickets left) in the week or so leading up to the game, then make more tickets available as tickets are sold in order to meet demand.

Given that the opening night draw appears to be more of a function of the momentum of the previous year than the expectation of the upcoming season (i.e. 'the lost 2010-11 season' had a better opening night draw than the following year when the team was poised to be really good or even the year after that when Crews was subbing for Majerus), and that the students are expected to turn out on a Saturday night, I think a modest 3-10% bump over last year's opener is a reasonable expectation.

Casual fans know SLU lost all of their best players. Most generic local sports fans (i.e. casual SLU fans) will probably be preoccupied with college football and/or the Blues on Saturday. That's the reality.

SLU needs some of those casual fans to graduate into passionate (and permanent) Billiken fans. Growing the base - both season ticketholders, but also simply getting the non-season ticket holders who attended at least 1 game last season to attend more games this season.

Here are the opening night crowds in the Chaifetz era

2013: 7,714 vs SEMO

2012: 6,958 vs SC-Upstate

2011: 6,497 vs Tenn St

2010: 7,511 vs Austin Peay

2009: 7,131 vs SEMO

2008: 7,170 vs UMSL

(all Friday night games)

Here are the SIUC home attendances in the Chaifetz era

2012: 6,340

2009: 9,483

(both Saturday night games)

SIUC had a run of 6-straight NCAA appearances from 2002-2007 - book-ended by Sweet 16 runs, but they haven't had a winning season in the Chaifetz era...my guess is that they don't travel like they used to...

Saturday night games tend to draw the best crowds (Students like night games, families like weekend games) and season openers against name opponents are generally well attended relative to the rest of the OOC schedule.

Realistically, I expect something in the 8000-8500 range.

Be careful. ACE will accuse you of trolling.

No, you are the only one right now... you were called out by others the moment you started posting here. You have lived up to the title. Your post in the Scam Biedschied thread confirmed it for me.

Just look at his post in the Wiz's preseason thread. The dude is a troll. Just don't react or respond to him and he'll go back to Tigerboard. Once I meet him outside Gate A after the SIUC game to chat about attendance, I'll be ignoring him too.

Just look at his post in the Wiz's preseason thread. The dude is a troll. Just don't react or respond to him and he'll go back to Tigerboard. Once I meet him outside Gate A after the SIUC game to chat about attendance, I'll be ignoring him too.

Here is another one of his gems - http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24856&page=1

In fact, he can be found in almost every thread following a SLU signing taking a shot at one of our recruits.