Opening game sellout?

bonwich

From the Slunatics FB page --

ATTENTION STUDENTS: Saturday is the men's home opener!

We are anticipating a sellout crowd, which means you will need to pick up tickets in advance!

Sellout? I guess it's possible -- the ticket site only shows scattered seats remaining. (It also shows the upper level sections behind the students as completely sold out. Special promotion? Extra student seating? Or is that likely to be jammed with Methheads?)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That has to be for the student seats only or more likely its just creative advertising to get the students to pick up the tickets early. I went online to the official ticket site earlier today and there were plenty of seats available. Most were in the upper corners so if everyone that has a ticket actually shows up we might be looking at 8-9k.

36 tickets on stubhub

Those are just resells, right?

I took a second look at the SLU site after Bonwich's post. I'd go a little higher than his estimate of 500 but that's just my eye-ball of it (there's ~100 in section 205 for example). Plus, I also question when entire blocks of upper deck seats (like section 206) are grayed out if they are really sold or there's something going on with the system.

Get there early because everyone gets wanded upon entry!

-and if the ADept is really expecting over 10,000 fans i would expect that preparations are in place for many, many 'wanders' to be at all entrances

-gosh, it would suck to have a great crowd and many miss the first part of the game because they had to be wanded, many won't be back, esp if cold or rain/snow

-i am afraid this will be clusterschtook

-DO THIS RIGHT!!!!

Does the casual fan that fills seats 8000-11000 know anything except the three straight tournament appearances?

Casual fans know SLU lost all of their best players. Most generic local sports fans (i.e. casual SLU fans) will probably be preoccupied with college football and/or the Blues on Saturday. That's the reality.

SLU needs some of those casual fans to graduate into passionate (and permanent) Billiken fans. Growing the base - both season ticketholders, but also simply getting the non-season ticket holders who attended at least 1 game last season to attend more games this season.

Here are the opening night crowds in the Chaifetz era

2013: 7,714 vs SEMO

2012: 6,958 vs SC-Upstate

2011: 6,497 vs Tenn St

2010: 7,511 vs Austin Peay

2009: 7,131 vs SEMO

2008: 7,170 vs UMSL

(all Friday night games)

Here are the SIUC home attendances in the Chaifetz era

2012: 6,340

2009: 9,483

(both Saturday night games)

SIUC had a run of 6-straight NCAA appearances from 2002-2007 - book-ended by Sweet 16 runs, but they haven't had a winning season in the Chaifetz era...my guess is that they don't travel like they used to...

Saturday night games tend to draw the best crowds (Students like night games, families like weekend games) and season openers against name opponents are generally well attended relative to the rest of the OOC schedule.

Realistically, I expect something in the 8000-8500 range.