SLU - Harris Stowe Game Day Thread

SluSignGuy

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard not to be concerned about our bigs after watching this. They don't make all the easy shots they should, they turn it over when double teamed, they don't shoot free throws well, they don't rebound particularly well (except reggie) and they are all foul prone.

What am I missing?

Reggie turned it up late. It took him a bit to get into the game, but he was grabbing boards on both ends. Tanner, Grandy and Jolly looked ok, Manning needs to stay on his feet. Gillmann looked alright, but he got pushed around a bit too much; if you were watching free throws, he ended up under the basket a few times. At least it looks like the new guys and Tanner have respectable shooting range!

Roby looks like he belongs. Good ball-handling, great passing, and denied ball reversals very well on the defensive end. Ash looked good, he'll help our bigs on the glass. McBroom was feeling it from deep; if his stroke is on like tonight, we'll be alright. Bartley and Reynolds both looked good, although they each had some unforced turnovers - Reynolds is very fast, Bartley is long and smooth. Crawford didn't show much tonight; I was hoping for more out of him than just being a swingman glue guy, and there is obviously still time, but if it were true I feel like we should've seen it today. Yarbrough showed flashes; clearly a scorer, but used to having more space and less on-ball pressure than he will see at this level - needs to tighten up his handle.

That's it for my over-reactions to our first glimpse of this group. This year will be a struggle at times, but I don't think it's a doomsday scenario either. Ash needs to stay out of foul trouble...

What we have to realize is that Agbeko, Lancona, and Crawford are only Sophomores. They have very little in-game experience. Hopefully with a little more experience they will play better as the season wears on.

I think Roby, Reynolds, and Jolly are the most ready of the Freshmen. Bartley will maybe get a few minutes, too. But Gillmann and Yarbrough will probably be riding the bench quite a bit. I think all of the Freshmen showed flashes tonight

19 Turnovers against a Division 1 team is one thing, but against Harris-Stowe it's a little worrisome...until you look at the fact that McBroom, Yacoubou, Roby, and Reynolds had a combined 3 turnovers. On the flip side, Yarbrough, Jolly, Manning, Agbeko, and Lancona had 13 combined. Not a good showing for SLU big men tonight

Before anyone get's too hyped about mcbroom contributing quality minutes/points lets remember that he tore it up in the beginning of non-conference last year and then disappeared down the stretch. He's shown that he can hit the open 3's but I just worry that any self respecting defense will close on him and his percentage will plummet. That being said I have no idea who else will provide any quality minutes at the point. Roby looked good in spurts but still has a lot to learn, Bartley looked lost, I thought Miles looked pretty good taking the ball up but then in the half court he was a little over excited with the ball and made some questionable passes inside. I really worry if Mcbroom isn't able to provide consistent scoring teams are gonna learn to just double up on Ash and we'll be relying on a lot of unproven guys. Still have a lot of hope for the freshmen and sophmores in the future but I think today definitely demonstrated how much better all the seniors last year made guys like lancona and crawford look.

All I can say is this is young team. They will grow over the course of the season. Many pieces to work with. I am happy with what I saw. Now on to the real competition...

I think Gillman had the best night among these players MY, JM, BJC, he has nice hands and played some defense. Manning only thinks about blocking shots. MY was bull in China shop and RA needs medical redshirt right now

Before anyone get's too hyped about mcbroom contributing quality minutes/points lets remember that he tore it up in the beginning of non-conference last year and then disappeared down the stretch. He's shown that he can hit the open 3's but I just worry that any self respecting defense will close on him and his percentage will plummet. That being said I have no idea who else will provide any quality minutes at the point. Roby looked good in spurts but still has a lot to learn, Bartley looked lost, I thought Miles looked pretty good taking the ball up but then in the half court he was a little over excited with the ball and made some questionable passes inside. I really worry if Mcbroom isn't able to provide consistent scoring teams are gonna learn to just double up on Ash and we'll be relying on a lot of unproven guys. Still have a lot of hope for the freshmen and sophmores in the future but I think today definitely demonstrated how much better all the seniors last year made guys like lancona and crawford look.

This is the level opponent that makes McBroom look like a superhero

Hoppy, welcome to the board. After three posts I have a suspicion you have a personal relationship with Gillman? True?

I hope you are right about the bigs.

Don't know Gillmann in any way shape or form, Just watched him run up and down the court and noticed that he didn't run like a big man. Then watched his footwork, and while he's not always in the right place, when he's moving, he moves with a bit more grace than you see in the average bwc (big white center).

Manning on the other hand was unimpressive. I never thought he'd be an offensive force, but he always had his defense to fall back on. His defense was lacking for most of the game.

RA should really be looked at as a freshman seeing how much he played last year and how long he's actually had a coach. He played like a freshman for the most part, but the memory of the crossover reminds of what he could be.

Tanner.....not too sure what to say about him.

I didn't catch enough of Jolly to form an opinion.

Outside of the big men, I paid attention to ash....no need to comment.

I think Roby is going to be good.

Born and raised in memphis, went to slu in the 90's.

19 Turnovers against a Division 1 team is one thing, but against Harris-Stowe it's a little worrisome...until you look at the fact that McBroom, Yacoubou, Roby, and Reynolds had a combined 3 turnovers. On the flip side, Yarbrough, Jolly, Manning, Agbeko, and Lancona had 13 combined. Not a good showing for SLU big men tonight

We looked a lot better in the second half, in terms of taking care of the ball. 12 assists to 7 turnovers in the second half. 3:12 in the first.

I'm encouraged by Jolly and Gillmann. I love the idea that our guards, as far as skill goes, are not that far apart. We won't be as good as we've grown accustomed but our depth will win us some games we have no business winning.

My first thought of Milik Yarbrough was Obi Ikeakor.

Don't ever mention Malik and Obi in the same sentence again. Unless you're talking about people with awesome names.m

I was disappointed about JM's play tonight. However on the good side I thought AY was excellent, by far the best player we fielded tonight. The freshmen are freshmen and need work. DR appears very good, MR has a lot of speed and kind of got going towards the end of the game, he needs to play a lot to develop. MY I thought was very good and showed he could play. Bartley appeared a bit lost to me, he needs to play a lot to develop. I liked Gillmann better than Jolly. As far as the sophomores go, they got very little play time last year so they may be considered almost freshmen level. Crawford can handle the ball but did not show much in terms of scoring. Reggie started very weak but got into it as the game progressed. If he puts his mind to it I think Reggie may be unstoppable. I have not made up my mind about Lancona yet. I think GG may play a valuable role this year, if nothing else he may be the glue that holds the team together. I think he will have to play a lot of time this year if nothing else to fill the experience void and support AY. McBroom is fast and shot well, but I wonder how long he can keep his performance up to par with the other teams we will be playing. To summarize, I went to the game with a primary intention to watch the freshmen play. I did like a lot of what I saw, although the freshmen will need a lot of work before we get to A10 play.

A few thoughts:

1) We should not dismiss McBroom so easily. A junior guard in his fourth year who can handle the ball is going to get a lot of minutes on this team. We need him to have a good year whether some people like it or not.

2) We should be patient in our judgement of the big men. Oftentimes these exhibition games hide the big men. They aren't going up against the type of players they will play in our important games and as such their role in the offense gets muddled.

I'll post some observations later, but just for those who missed it.

Future Billiken Jayson Tatum was in attendance, #1 player overall c/o '16.

Jeremiah Tilmon was in attendance, top ten player overall c/o '17.

Not too bad for an exhibition game. Also Jake Barnett was working the recruits at halftime with his fiance.

This season will be one big work in progress. JC and staff, at this point, don't know what the best combos are, and it will take awhile to figure that out. Biggest concern appears to be our inside game. Our work on the offensive boards against HStowe was pitiful. I think you can count on one hand the number of put backs we had last night. JM looked like a stiff out there, and there's no way Jolly and Gillman are ready for the physical play they'll be up against at the D1 level. Am sure most of us expected more dominant play from our returning bigs, but we didn't get it. Who knows, we might be better off playing a small lineup, Nova style, since our guards, save for McB, have some height. As stated before by so many, this is going to be a very bumpy road, and we should be thankful for any signs of development.

I'll post some observations later, but just for those who missed it.

Future Billiken Jayson Tatum was in attendance, #1 player overall c/o '16.

Jeremiah Tilmon was in attendance, top ten player overall c/o '17.

Not too bad for an exhibition game. Also Jake Barnett was working the recruits at halftime with his fiance.

I'm surprised Jake is not a graduate assistant, given that he is still around while his fiance is still playing.

It is hard to judge a time on one game, especially against weak competition. Some players step up their games against good competition so we will know a lot more after the SIU game.

However, from my one game observation the two key players to this season are Lancona and Agbeko. We have to get substantial contributions from them as inside players.

Manning and Glaze aren't going to give us much more than they have in the past. If we got 4 points per game and 3 rebounds with 15 minutes of solid defense from Manning, that would be an improvement and a decent year for him based on past performance. With Grandy, if we got 5 points and 5 rebounds and 15 minutes of energy that would be his max. Even if they attain those lofty goals that leaves us woefully short inside. Lancona and Agbeko have got to pick up the slack. If they don't, I don't see us being .500. If they do, we hit .500 but still don't make the NIT.

I like the freshman. They all have potential and will improve as the year goes on, but this will be a learning year. It takes time to learn to play the kind of tough defense we need to play to be a top flight team. Next year we will be post season contenders. This year growing pains.

it was the first exhibition game, so chill out folks. Glass is very much half full, I think. Sky is NOT falling.

The main takeaway from a game like this: think about rotation, and the fact that coach Crews will probably settle into around 8-9 players getting real minutes. All the upperclassmen (including the 3 sophomores here) will be in that mix = 7. that means 2-3 freshmen, to be honest. Clearly he is sending a signal by starting DR and BJ. The other roation guy might be Miles, who looks much more mature with the ball in his hands -- but let's see how he looks against real Division 1 guards. DR can definitely play right now. And I would say that BJ is also light years ahead of AG in terms of rotation this year--he can do way many things much better than AG -- and if you think otherwise, we can put some $$ on it in terms of minutes. AG does not run well, and is slow afoot, and I am surprised by some of the comments suggesting otherwise. So for rotation, it's definitely BJ and DR, with MR probably 3rd and the others warming the bench. I should also add that it was clear to me this summer that BJ and DR were leading the way for the freshmen, so that should not be a big surprise...

In case anyone is interested in actual numbers:

Manning = 2 blocks and 4 boards, and I might add at least 1-2 other completely altered shots, in 11 minutes. Whoever is saying he did nothing defensively needs new eyeglasses. Lighten up on JM, Bills "fans." Defense is important last I heard.

Reggie had 7 boards in 15 minutes. That's about 1 every 2 minutes, folks! When the light goes on for this guy, watch out!

Tanner = 8 pts & 3 boards -- all in 10 minutes. He should break out too.

Truthfully, many bigs had trouble finishing. that was one of the biggest disappointments, after many dimes; but that will improve; the passing, in general, was very good at this stage in the season. MR is very good with the ball and so is DR.

Ash = wow. 1st team A-10?? maybe.